996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Suspension Inquiry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Tmainevent will become famous soon enough
Lightbulb Suspension Inquiry

I am looking to get a more aggressive stance added to my p-car. Mostly so I can eliminate the high speed 'floating' feeling everyone is talking about, and secondly because I love the look of a slightly dropped car . After looking around, I think the best 'bang for the buck' is going to be the Bilstein Pss9's. I am aiming towards the 9's over the 10's to save some coin. My question is how much lower will the car sit with this suspension...all the descriptions I have read state factory OEM replacement with adjustable ride height, etc. How much adjustment are we talking? Do they make the pss9 suspension kit with coilovers? I am looking to minimize the wheel gap and would like a solid 1.5 inch drop.

Thoughts, insight, knowledge...all appreciated!

Also any retailers you recommend? I found a set online at parts geek for 1880.00.

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
I put on the PSS10's and got a drop of about 1.25" While the spring perches are adjustable the range of adjustment is only about 5mm if you want to stay within the range given by Bilstein. The actual perches will go far beyond that, but it is not recommended by Bilstein as the shocks will be operating outside of their range.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:23 PM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
+1 Dharn55

stock suspension is barely usable in daily driving. more aggressive driving screams for new suspension.

i got PSS9s. many knowledgeable consultants suggested that when you go off stock, spend wisely - get the best you can afford.

JB

Old 11-09-2010, 08:43 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dharn55
I put on the PSS10's and got a drop of about 1.25" While the spring perches are adjustable the range of adjustment is only about 5mm if you want to stay within the range given by Bilstein. The actual perches will go far beyond that, but it is not recommended by Bilstein as the shocks will be operating outside of their range.
I gotta agree with this as I see WAY TOO MANY people just slamming their rides and wondering why it doesn't handle or feel as good, blaming the CO's themselves.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys for the knowledgeable advise! I am glad to hear you can get a nice drop without going the coilover route. Do any of you have any before / after pics of your cars?

Old 11-10-2010, 12:26 PM
himself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the roughhimself is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Tmainevent
Thanks guys for the knowledgeable advise! I am glad to hear you can get a nice drop without going the coilover route. Do any of you have any before / after pics of your cars?
PSS9/10 are coilovers.

-td

Old 11-10-2010, 12:59 PM
That is originally what I thought...however I notice they sell them with springs and shocks or with coilovers...maybe this picture where I found them is incorrect...they weren't even sure when I called...

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base

Old 11-10-2010, 04:18 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tmainevent
That is originally what I thought...however I notice they sell them with springs and shocks or with coilovers...maybe this picture where I found them is incorrect...they weren't even sure when I called...

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ek+Google+Base
I think you're getting mixed up because the site's description doesn't match the pic. For clarification, PSS-9 and PSS-10 are full threaded body coilovers that have both dampening and height adjustment. Bilstein also makes a non-coilover kit that has fixed height and dampening which is the pic provided in the link.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:10 PM
That is the clarification I needed! Thank you---so the picture is incorrect! It was confusing the heck out of me