996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Should I get a 996 ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 05:01 AM
iBalushi is on a distinguished road
Arrow Should I get a 996 ?

I am getting my first car.
I was originally going to get a new car; which rounded up from a big list to a Golf GTI (MK6).

But with the same money I can easily buy myself my dream car: a (used) Porsche. I could easily find a 996.
It's not like I have many stuff to carry or care about how many passengers. I just want a fun car to enjoy driving!

Then again, its my first car, so I don't know what to do or fix. Though I will defiantly send it to a Garage at first too inspect and repair.

So,
Is the price of fixing 996 high?
Is it reliable?
How long will it survive?
If I buy an MK1, what is required to change it to an MK2?
Or should I get the newer and techy Golf ?

I love to take care of my car and keep it as long as it survives.
I am happy with both, but the Porsche is just too good to be true

What do you guys think?
Give me anything helpful to get a 996 !!

EDIT: I can get a bone-stock 997 Carrera, but 996 has more options. Im looking for a 4S. not sure if cabrio or not.

Last edited by iBalushi; 11-17-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:43 AM
DeskJob1 is on a distinguished road
yes
yes
$$$
no
= get the newest and lowest mile porsche

Old 11-17-2010, 09:25 AM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
base 997 > fully loaded 996C4S

Old 11-17-2010, 09:41 AM
uberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond reputeuberpoop has a reputation beyond repute
totally go 997 if you can.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:47 AM
iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !iJeremy Is a GOD !
the 997 may be the better option for a number of reasons, not the least of which is interior fit and finish. However the more pressing issue of maintaining the car would persuade me, if in your shoes, to buy the newest, cleanest car possible. Bone Stock also means less to go wrong...

Congrats on being in the position to treat yourself... Go drive them both and see for yourself. Either way be sure to post up pictures once she's home in the garage!

Old 11-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I think it all depends on what you want. If you buy a 996, you're buying a car that is a minimum of 5 years old. It will have some issues simply due to age. That doesn't mean that it won't be reliable, but you won't have the peace of mind offered by a new car warranty.

FWIW, I'd take a loaded 996 C4S over a base 997 without a second thought. I've spent lots of time driving both. Now, if we were comparing a 997 C4S to a base 997, my answer would change.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
I have to question the logic of purchasing a 5~10 (sounds more like 10?) year old car as a daily driver instead of a new car.

Don't get me wrong, I *love* my 996. It is by far the most fun in a car I've had in a while ;-) That said, I have other (newer) cars if my p-car sits for a few weeks awaiting repair.

Is the price of fixing 996 high?

Parts are more expensive than a VW. If you take it to a dealership for service, that will be more expensive too. **If you go this route learn to turn your own wrenches - at least for basic maintenance.

Is it reliable?

I have found mine to be quite reliable - for a 7 year old car.

How long will it survive?

...until you crash it, or choose not to maintain/repair it.

If I buy an MK1, what is required to change it to an MK2?

What?!? If you want a MK2, buy it in the first place. The price difference is negligible and you will never recoup the money.

Or should I get the newer and techy Golf ?

This would be a new car, with a warranty, etc, etc,. I would strongly consider this as a first car. Save for a few years a buy a 996 as a weekender.

Last edited by Fozzybear; 11-17-2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Thumbs up

But I can't explain how I just love Porsche that I risk everything in my life for the pleasure to be in one.. Seriously!
GTI is cool and stuff but Porsche is my love.

I feel like getting a 996 4S or any 996 !
And I got few relatives and family members who own some garages or skilled in fixing old cars.

Plus something(s) that may get you all Jealous:
  • We are a distant-relative to the Owner of the ONLY Porsche dealership in the country, as well as close friends of our friends that work in the dealership.
  • Oh, and 2 of the dealership owner's grandchildren are in my college, one of them is my friend and same class. (If you ask: they both own a 997 Turbo)
  • Between my home and college 15 mins drive, with the Porsche dealership just in between (~ 5 mins from home)! I pass the dealership everyday to go to college

S#%$!
I dunno why I just realized all of this!
Now all the maintenance is easy-going and a little cheaper.

I am right in the choice getting the 996 with all of the above ^ eh ?
Tell me what are the common problems ?
What to inspect at first ?
What were your experiences ?
How do you know something is wrong with your Porsche ?
How many times do you stop your car for repair (estimate) ?

What is a good unique color ? (Grey is overused, i'm thinking White, dark grey or maybe orange) ~ I'm definitely going to recolor either the same or different.

I need a two-month find then she'll be mine
If I can't find one, I'll get the GTI.

Thanks for your advice Fozzybear!

Last edited by iBalushi; 11-17-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Do some searching on this site and you'll find the common problems. They are mostly minor things like RMS leaks, window regulators, coils, oil sending units, etc. There are also potential major things, like catastrophic engine failure due to a failed IMS bearing. This one is obviously sensitive due to the catastrophic nature, but it is probably significantly overblown too. This issue also affects first gen 997s. Get a PPI from a qualified Porsche mechanic - he'll know what to inspect. Don't buy a Porsche without full documentation. You want all the service records.

You'll know when something is wrong with your Porsche the same way you would with any other car. It's no different.

My car is in the shop a couple of times a year for routine maintenance and repairs - just like any other car. They do go through tires quickly, and they are expensive. If you get 12K - 15K out of a set of tires, you've done pretty well.

Color is a personal choice. Most 911s are silver, red, grey or black. I think they look great in blue or green, personally. Speed Yellow is nice too.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:34 PM
Banned
mrdeezy is just really nicemrdeezy is just really nicemrdeezy is just really nicemrdeezy is just really nicemrdeezy is just really nice
get a golf kid
its your first car don't be stupid.
you obviously have no clue what your getting into

Old 11-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mrdeezy
get a golf kid
its your first car don't be stupid.
you obviously have no clue what your getting into

Old 11-18-2010, 12:01 PM
YoopsRacing will become famous soon enough
agree this is not a good first car...........

Old 11-19-2010, 12:26 PM
I already have a '96 Subaru Impreza wagon that never saw maintenance for 14 years (other than oil + a tire change in the 11th year).. it finally weakened out until this year we fixed the engine for a $280.

I understand that the 996 requires tire changes every year and perhaps the oil/minor stuff, but are you guys saying that this 6-7 year old engine is less reliable than a '96 Subaru engine?

Last edited by iBalushi; 11-19-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Sleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the roughSleepy996 is a jewel in the rough
Get whatever you want just post pics once you do bc this thread is getting boring. Sorry I had to say it but we get posts like these once a week on here and it usually never goes anywhere.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:42 PM
Banned
mrdeezy is just really nicemrdeezy is just really nicemrdeezy is just really nicemrdeezy is just really nicemrdeezy is just really nice
I think this guy is a trolling us...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I get a 996 ?