996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Turbo Front Bumper Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:49 PM
rennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to behold
Turbo Front Bumper Retrofit

I just did this on my 02 996 C2 this past weekend.
Before doing this mod I searched through many of the posts on this subject and wanted to clarify one thing:
It is not a direct bolt on!
Yes, none of the modifications that need to be done are that difficult but if anyone is thinking you pull your stock bumper, grab the turbo bumper and slide it on, it isn't going to happen.
1. you need to modify the left and right turbo grills. There's a small "L" bracket attached to the back of the grills. If these aren't removed they bump up against the silver metal bumper grill. All you need to do is carefully lever up on the bracket where it's "welded" to the main plastic piece. The bracket will basically crack at the joints and come off cleanly. If, for some reason, someone wants to reuse it you could epoxy if back on.
2. This is mostly cosmetic but the ends of the silver metal bumper need to be painted black or they'll stand out fairly obviously behind the turbo bumper. Not a big deal but makes a big difference cosmetically.
3. The big rubber intake funnels to each radiator need to be either cut back or removed completely. If left in place unmodified they will end up rubbing against the turbo bumper. I decided to just completely remove it. Not a big deal in cooling and I'm guessing it may actually improve cooling a little if you drive in stop and go traffic.
4. Because the turbo bumper is shorter than the stock one the bottom mounting tabs will not reach the stock mounting points. There are only three of them and don't do much to support the bumper so I decided to forgo fabricating brackets for now. I'll probably install some simple brackets later.
I've hopefully covered the modifications you need to do to mount up a turbo bumper. If I've missed anything please chime in.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:11 PM
CoolHand is an unknown quantity at this point
PICS Please

Old 11-22-2010, 05:43 PM
rennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to beholdrennwerkes is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CoolHand
PICS Please
I figured if you've seen one C2 converted you've seen them all!
But here's mine. Sitting a little high up front. Just dropped it after being jacked up so no settling.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:03 PM
CoolHand is an unknown quantity at this point
Look really clean, congrats!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by CoolHand
Look really clean, congrats!
Thanks!

Old 11-29-2010, 06:21 PM
cdaniels is on a distinguished road
looks good....

Old 11-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by cdaniels
looks good....
Thanks again.
An update.
The turbo spoiler is a bit closer to the ground and juts out a bit more.
Dropped my boy off at school today and went a little too straight into a dip and did a nice SCRAPE on the lower lip!
Have to be more careful...

Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Ersel is on a distinguished road
Looks real good. So what did this set you back (parts wise)?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by Ersel
Looks real good. So what did this set you back (parts wise)?
Found the front spoiler for $400 locally which was complete with all parts.
Painting it cost more than the spoiler, $600!
So $1k all in!

Old 11-30-2010, 06:13 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
For the gap at the bottom, if you don't care for your regular C2 Bumper you can cut the bottom part and use it as the bracket. It fits perfect. The original C2 bumper has a dotted line (pre perforated) where you need to cut. it couldn't be easier. I paid $500 for mine and it came with the original paint (speed yellow) and matched my car perfectly.

See here (scroll down for the speed yellow car)

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lled-pics.html

Last edited by JoelPirela; 11-30-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
For the gap at the bottom, if you don't care for your regular C2 Bumper you can cut the bottom part and use it as the bracket. It fits perfect. The original C2 bumper has a dotted line (pre perforated) where you need to cut. it couldn't be easier. I paid $500 for mine and it came with the original paint (speed yellow) and matched my car perfectly.
I wish I was lucky enough to find one in the same color as my car.
The paint job was okay but the color match isn't perfect, close, but not perfect.
I thought about cutting up my original bumper but for now I'll go without it. Right now I'm thinking I may go back to original one day.
The problem for us here in Hawaii is getting large parts shipped here without costing an arm and a leg. I lucked out finding this bumper on a neighbor island. Shipping only cost me $50. If it came from the continent it'd have cost me probably more than $400 to ship!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 PM
Just curious why are you not happy with it? Since you said, "Right now I'm thinking I may go back to original one day."
Is it because the paint doesn't match 100% or something else?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Just curious why are you not happy with it? Since you said, "Right now I'm thinking I may go back to original one day."
Is it because the paint doesn't match 100% or something else?
Just in case I sell the car I could bring it back to original.
I much prefer the look of the turbo bumper compared to the original one.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:25 PM
I prefer the look too, but since I am a perfectionist I'm worried I might not be happy with the Turbo look if it doesn't look like a factory fit. I guess I need to see one in-person to help decide.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:29 PM
I prefer the look too, but since I am a perfectionist I'm worried I might not be happy with the Turbo look if it doesn't look like a factory fit. I guess I need to see one in-person to help decide.
Other than the gap under the cap (which you'll never see) it's pretty much a perfect fit. You do lose the funnels for the radiators but I really don't see a problem from a cooling standpoint and you do need to paint the metal bumper inside black but that's mostly cosmetic.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo Front Bumper Retrofit