996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Replace cabriolet top and install... $8k from the dealer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:31 AM
adamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the rough
Replace cabriolet top and install... $8k from the dealer?

Is this right?

Just was quoted $8k from a NJ dealer...

Old 05-15-2011, 01:13 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Thats crazy high. I would Buy the top and take it to a local convertible top place. Try Everlast in Linden,Nj. I had to get my rear plastic window changed and got quoted over $1,000 and he changed it for $350 with a new tinted black plastic window. Double stitched and everything. I'm sure he will change the top for $1000 or under being he had to take my top off anyway to replace the window. Send me a message if you need anymore info.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:23 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
724 East Saint Georges Avenue
Linden, NJ 07036
info@everlastinteriors.com
Phone: 908-486-7314
Fax: 908-486-1907

Old 05-16-2011, 04:33 AM
adamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the roughadamclutz is a jewel in the rough
Thanks...yeah I think I am going to go to a local place...I'll keep that in mind.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the input. I went to a local place and cost is $1400 all in. Much better than $8k!

Old 05-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by adammich
Thanks for the input. I went to a local place and cost is $1400 all in. Much better than $8k!
And I'm sure the dealer have the same guy comes out and install it too. Dealer do that all the time, like tinting, detail, or event small ding.

Talk about the power of infos from this forum!

Old 05-17-2011, 02:39 PM
ericyingling is on a distinguished road
I had my top replaced, with the glass window upgrade. GAAH or GAHH or something like that. $2000 installed from an independent upholstery place near me (In so cal).

8K.... yikes.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:37 PM
AnakChan is on a distinguished road
eric,

How's the glass like from GAHH? From the pics on their website, it looks smaller than the plastic (but then again, my plastic has gotten to misty all I see are just shadows of cars).

Old 05-18-2011, 09:11 AM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
Mhh... 8k... can always buy a new car for that money lol.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by AnakChan
eric,

How's the glass like from GAHH? From the pics on their website, it looks smaller than the plastic (but then again, my plastic has gotten to misty all I see are just shadows of cars).

I hear you. I was concerned about the size of the window and the quality of the canvas. I have had my new top for about two years, no complaints no regrets and I am pretty particular. I have a black top and the car is always garaged, out of the elements when home.

Yes, the factory OEM plastic window is larger than the factory OEM glass window. And the OEM glass window is larger than the GAHH glass window. This was a concern when I saw the pictures on the GAHH website, reminded me of the small window bugs from the 50s. But its really not bad. Blind spot is increased from the plastic window but its fine and I think it looks really cool.. 89 911 speedster cool. I don't know the measurements re: differences between OEM glass and GAHH glass window, but I dont think its worth the $6K difference.

Be sure to specify "German Canvas" I cant tell the difference between GAHH german canvas and the factory canvas, even with another 03 cab parked next to me.

It was around $1,900 plus tax in 2009. I think I got a new headliner from gahh for that price too. Almost 100% sure.

Go for it.

Last edited by ericyingling; 05-18-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 05-18-2011, 08:29 PM
AnakChan is on a distinguished road
Cheers...that's good info. I've changed my hood once in my 8 years of ownership and with the proper Porsche replacement, it wasn't cheap (Not as much as adammich's dealer's quote though!!)

But that silly OEM plastic window just doesn't last long. I could use it properly as a rear window for less than a year and after that it just gets misty/cloudy quick.

Thanks again.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:34 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
I clean mine with Plastex every time I wash the car and it remains clear for years.

But that silly OEM plastic window just doesn't last long. I could use it properly as a rear window for less than a year and after that it just gets misty/cloudy quick.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Cheers...that's good info. I've changed my hood once in my 8 years of ownership and with the proper Porsche replacement, it wasn't cheap (Not as much as adammich's dealer's quote though!!)

Thanks again.
No problem. But there are techniques and products out there to address "cloudiness" or "yellowing" in plastic windows. If that is your only issue, I would try these inexpensive solutions before a new top.

I replaced mine only because of a tear that was really bad and growing. My plastic window, at the time of replacement was about 10 years old and completely clear because of maintenance.

Also, if you can wait a few weeks, I can take pictures from inside and outside the car. Let me know.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Thamid7 is on a distinguished road
2001 911 C4 cab top replacement

Just wondering if Adamclutz got his Top replaced and for how much. I was just quoted 2150 for replacing the top. What should I be looking for to ensure that the upholsterer is buying the best quality top, and the material and back window quality and stiching looks like OEM? Any info on the best top supplier etc and what towards out for would be very helpful.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Thamid7
Just wondering if Adamclutz got his Top replaced and for how much. I was just quoted 2150 for replacing the top. What should I be looking for to ensure that the upholsterer is buying the best quality top, and the material and back window quality and stiching looks like OEM? Any info on the best top supplier etc and what towards out for would be very helpful.
You can always buy the top yourself from somewhere you trust and have your place install it. This way you know it's a quality top.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replace cabriolet top and install... $8k from the dealer?