996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Moving the climate control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:15 AM
cmer is on a distinguished road
Question Moving the climate control

Hi all,

I'd like to move the climate control in my 1999 996 C2 Cab.

Current configuration:

- Climate
- Radio
- Tape holder
- Storage

Desired configuration:

- Storage or cup holder (TBD)
- Radio
- Climate
- Storage

Usually people move the climate control to the very bottom (replacing storage) but I would like to keep my storage and replace the tape holder with climate control, so basically, move my climate control to slot #3 instead of #4.

Is it possible? It seems that I can only find the trim for the bottom slot. Is there a climate trim for slot #3 available somewhere?

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2011, 07:26 AM
jkscherk is on a distinguished road
I just was in my '02 doing something similar this weekend. My center console was not in the car when I bought it (it had the GT3 kit in its place.) I put the console back and replaced the CD storage with an open storage tray (which is on order). In the process, I had the AC out of the dash. I think the trim around the AC in the dash would work in slot 3. I don't think slot 4 would work as it is a different shape. Check out: http://www.porscheoemparts.com/partl...layCatalogid=0

Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 AM
Thanks for your response.

I looked at my climate control trim and the top is bend backwards (curved towards the cabin) so it looks like it won't fit in slot #3...

Old 06-15-2011, 11:56 AM
BTW, I was unaware of porscheoemparts.com. Great site with lots of information, thanks for that!

Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 PM
voltairesb is on a distinguished road
Your climate control unit will fit in either the top most or the bottom most spot. These spots are drilled specifically for the climate control and cupholders. These shapes are also slightly shorter than the 2nd and 3rd slots which will accomodate the audio, the cd/cassette holder, and the oddiments tray. If you move the climate control, you'll need to purchase the slightly reshaped bezel from a dealer. Shouldn't cost more $5

Old 06-16-2011, 08:52 AM
VoltaireSB: Thanks for the info. Looks like slot 3 is a no-go then eh? Guess I'll put it in the last spot. Thanks a lot!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Omarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant futureOmarcoolguy has a brilliant future
simple i moved mine

Name:  011-2.jpg
Views: 997
Size:  50.6 KB