996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

(Oil Separator)Easy Care Extended Warranty issue. grrrr.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 06:27 PM
yellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really niceyellowbmr is just really nice
(Oil Separator)Easy Care Extended Warranty issue. grrrr.

I purchased the easy care (Primary Care) which includes engine, tranny, cooling, and all seals last year. It cost around $3400 to purchase, and I did it basically so that I won't end up with a huge bill in case of engine/tranny failure and a piece of mind.

Car is at the dealer today and they told me that the oil separator unit (which i have no idea what it is) is leaking. The service advisor said it's part of the engine and that they talked to easy care and it's not covered according to easy care.

Can someone tell me if oil separator unit is part of the engine or not?
Also they told me that if it fails, symptoms are a lot of smoke.

Any suggestions. Is easy care trying to pull a fast one?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:43 PM
RugRunner is on a distinguished road
I'm not positive where the line is drawn... But thankfully the AOS isn't a terribly expensive fix. If you have any significant deductible, it very well may be less than the deductible cost. I preventatively had mine done at the same time I did my RMS/IMS/Plugs...etc etc...

Old 06-29-2011, 07:12 AM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
It is not part of the engine. The part is cheap but the labor will eat you alive at the dealer. There are lots of people that have done it themselves.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:52 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
AOS is one of those grey areas when it comes to coverage as it isn't directly part of the engine but it does play a major role in how the engine performs, like a MAF sensor as an example.

With that said, I would think it would be in the best interest of the insurance co to fix this instead of risking for paying for a new engine down the line.

Good luck

Old 06-29-2011, 09:04 PM
srpshop is on a distinguished road
it is a part of the engine it goes on the back of the engine what it does it recives all the oil pressure condences and the takes the oil back to the oil pan and its not easy to replace but the oil separator its not soo expensive

Old 06-30-2011, 03:39 AM
balefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nicebalefire is just really nice
Easy Care is a "named item" warranty. If its not named, its up to them whether to cover it. Sounds like AOS wasn't specifically named in your warranty. I bet IMS isn't specifically named either.

In contrast, Fidelity Platinum is an exclusionary warranty. Everything is covered unless they state what is not covered.

My dealer uses both warranty companies. I think it is also up to the dealer and the warranty company relationship. How hard the dealer fights for you also depends on your relationship with the dealer.

Having said all that, I haven't used my warranty once. I hope I don't encounter any problems.

Good luck.