996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Key fob stopped working (I replaced the key battery)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:28 AM
Nine_Eleven is on a distinguished road
Key fob stopped working (I replaced the key battery)

(996) Suddenly my key stop working, I changed the battery. It would light up/blink (red LED) but doesn't unlock or lock. I have to put the key in to unlock/lock.

What could it be? Transmitter? Reprogram?

Old 07-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nine_Eleven
(996) Suddenly my key stop working, I changed the battery. It would light up/blink (red LED) but doesn't unlock or lock. I have to put the key in to unlock/lock.

What could it be? Transmitter? Reprogram?
possibly dead key. happens, happend to me

Old 07-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Detoxx is on a distinguished road
Fob probably died, get a new fob from Sunset ~$100 and take the blade from the old key and put it in the new fob. Then you need to take all your keys to porsche dealer to reprogram that one. I just went through this and it cost me $55 at pioneer porsche (PCA discount)

Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 AM
Sosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the rough
+1... what he said

Old 07-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
There are two ways the key can be affected... If the unlock button is activated 256 time while out of range of the car, it will de-activate itself. To re-activate, all you have to do is use that key to start the car and activate the transmitter (unlock) within 6 seconds of stopping the engine. Now, here's the thing... If the unlock is activated 1000 times while out of range of the car (like say, sitting on the keyfob in your pocket for 5 minutes), even an act of god will not re-activate the key and you will need to replace the radio transmitter.

There are two parts to the key - the "pill" or ignition transponder and the radio transmitter used to unlock the car. They are not linked - one can be replaced without replacing the other.

Go ahead - ask me how I know all this stuff...

Old 07-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Slider
There are two ways the key can be affected... If the unlock button is activated 256 time while out of range of the car, it will de-activate itself. To re-activate, all you have to do is use that key to start the car and activate the transmitter (unlock) within 6 seconds of stopping the engine. Now, here's the thing... If the unlock is activated 1000 times while out of range of the car (like say, sitting on the keyfob in your pocket for 5 minutes), even an act of god will not re-activate the key and you will need to replace the radio transmitter.

There are two parts to the key - the "pill" or ignition transponder and the radio transmitter used to unlock the car. They are not linked - one can be replaced without replacing the other.

Go ahead - ask me how I know all this stuff...
you just made that up

Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
carlsen porsche charged me $450 for a whole new key plus programming.

i have a spare key that works for my 996. if you find a way to reprogram it to your car, you can have it for cheap.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:02 AM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
To re-activate, all you have to do is use that key to start the car and activate the transmitter (unlock) within 6 seconds of stopping the engine.

+1

This has worked for me in the past.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:02 PM
function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !function12 Is a GOD !
You might also try the trick of putting the battery in backwards. Sometimes that fixes it too.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:37 PM
strat10 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by function12
You might also try the trick of putting the battery in backwards. Sometimes that fixes it too.
I just gave that a try, and now the other key doesnt work, in fact nothing works now.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:12 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
Try disconnect battery, and leaving the key farther than 30 feet or so, reconnect battery.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:50 AM
Nine_Eleven is on a distinguished road
So which one works? I mean my key fob still blinks red led when pressed.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:06 AM
CoolHand is an unknown quantity at this point
I am dropping the car off at the dealer where I purchased it and they are taking it to the Collection in Coral Gables to have a spare key cut and reprogram both FOBs.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nine_Eleven
So which one works? I mean my key fob still blinks red led when pressed.
If you can start the car, the transponder is working. If you can't unlock your doors with the keyfob (and it is blinking), then your radio transmitter has de-activated itself.

To re-program - start the car with the key in question, then turn off the car and press the lock button on the keyfob within 6 seconds. If that doesn't fix it, you are wasting your time at the dealer - he won't be able to fix it either (assuming you have another key that is still working properly).

Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 PM
citybythebay is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Slider
If you can start the car, the transponder is working. If you can't unlock your doors with the keyfob (and it is blinking), then your radio transmitter has de-activated itself.

To re-program - start the car with the key in question, then turn off the car and press the lock button on the keyfob within 6 seconds. If that doesn't fix it, you are wasting your time at the dealer - he won't be able to fix it either (assuming you have another key that is still working properly).
When you press the lock button, should the fob be left in the ignition or should it be removed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Key fob stopped working (I replaced the key battery)