996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Anybody Elses 996 Motor Blow up this Week?

Old 08-02-2011, 03:13 PM
jacabean is on a distinguished road
Before you drop all that cash on a new motor. I would give Jake Raby a call at Flat 6 innovations . he is well known for addressing the m96 faults. you can get a much better built motor with all the known issues addressed , it will have better performance as well and you also get a warranty. since your in Florida and he is in Georgia this could work well for you. I highly recommend you give him a call and get some info.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Jaay is on a distinguished road
I got my 3.4 from ladismantlers for 6400 shipped no core charge. 30k on the clock.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Panteralkn is on a distinguished road
you should also talk to Seth here in jacksonville - he does awesome work and comes highly recommended.

Seth Agnew
Technical Dimensions
6920 Beach Blvd
Jacksonville, Florida
904.721.9700 Ph
904.721.0759 Fax

Old 08-03-2011, 04:48 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
I am sure many of the sponsors in this forum can rebuild it as well. If the shop is equipped and there are competent and nice (like sponsors in general are) there is no reason not do ask them. They do promote other items and they are courteous trying not to be too pushy. I did not grasp this when I did my rebuild as I was new in the forums. I am very happy with my current Indy but nevertheless, after a while you realize that the resources are right here.

Last edited by tarzancoe; 08-03-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:32 PM
fpb111 is on a distinguished road
Dave,
Take a few minutes and log the failure with, NHTSA
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-failure.html

Old 08-18-2011, 09:08 PM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by xXxPorsche
Sorry to hear that man it sucks that happened to me in June 200mi after I bought the car. I was able to fight with the dealer and get them to half but it still cost me over 6k and I still dont have my car back

Anyway one of my caveats when they were putting in a used engine was that they perform the IMS upgrade for free.

Anyway I can't tell you much more since our situations are so different but it sucks man I know.
This is exactly the same story I had with my first Porsche. It was a 1972 911S....in 1975. I have driven 9 more cars since then, and the most major failure I had was a blown turbo on a 944turbo.
sorry to hear the same thing happened to you. I relate this only because in the long run, it is a very rare event - supposedly.

good luck with the fix.

one word of advice; when you finally get it back. drive it hard. it was made for that! and over 5K rpm, it is really a different beast.

good luck!!

JB

Old 08-19-2011, 11:07 AM
blown996 is on a distinguished road
I'm curious what upgrades are done to the new replacement engines to
avoid having the same problem. Does the new engine have the same 300 bhp?

Old 08-19-2011, 02:16 PM
bella1 is on a distinguished road
New 3.4

Originally Posted by blown996
I'm curious what upgrades are done to the new replacement engines to
avoid having the same problem. Does the new engine have the same 300 bhp?
Yes it has the same HP. I replaced mine 04/2008 at 54K miles. Major amount of oil getting into the coolant but not the other way around. Then the price was $8,200 from dealer plus labor to install at LMN. My new motor had a date stamp on the case 2004 so it appeared to be brand new with headers and everything. Upgrades were supposed to have been made to the M96 engine. In my area, Lutzo with LMN Motorsports just recently paid Checkered Flag Porsche $16,800 for a new crate motor with core exchange for another customer who had a cracked case. I should have bought 2 three years ago but who knew the prices would double?

Old 10-19-2011, 01:47 PM
BlackC2 is on a distinguished road
My 3.6 in my '02 went in July and my research turned up Jake Raby is the only guy in the entire country when it comes to the M96 engine. Search here and on Google for every name you come across and you'll find the same thing. The only two options that made sense to me were send it to Jake in GA and wait a few months, or buy the remannufactuted engine from Porsche. Either option costs around $20,000 installed and both have draw-backs. Sending my car from CA to GA and waiting two or three months was tough, but I could get a larger displace and more power. Buying the crate motor from Porsche with a warranty sounded good, but I could only get extacly what was currently in the car.
I'm leaning toward the crate motor from Porsche and have the LN Engineering IMS retrofit installed along with the Torque Solutions engine mounts.

Last edited by BlackC2; 10-19-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:17 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Question

Originally Posted by stephan79
For alittle over $10K you could also install a LS1 or LS7 Corvette motor from Grendage Motors in Vagas.
link?

Old 02-27-2014, 02:49 AM
carreramadness is on a distinguished road
Angry 996 engine boom!!!!

mine really started making like a valve noise, so I stopped !i drop the engine and find out that the IMS feel and look good! but I have golden Flakes in the filter!
and a pinking noise!? What else can it be?
is it hard to strip the engine? Do I need many special tools?
If you can Help I much appreciate

Old 02-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by carreramadness
mine really started making like a valve noise, so I stopped !i drop the engine and find out that the IMS feel and look good! but I have golden Flakes in the filter!
and a pinking noise!? What else can it be?
is it hard to strip the engine? Do I need many special tools?
If you can Help I much appreciate
You should cut the filter open to see all the metal. Drag a magnet over the metal flakes to see if they are iron based.

Yes you need many special tools & it is very difficult, especially to assemble.

Post a picture of the cut filter with a measurement of the size & we can help estimate the cause. Don't restart the engine as this will cause more damage!

Old 02-28-2014, 11:18 PM
carreramadness is on a distinguished road
Cool engine

Thanks for the reply the particles are not magnetic
and circa half mil limiter on size!
the engine at the moment is on the floor as I checked the IMS and is good!
feels solid with no play !,Oil Pumps ? or rod bearings?
could this be ? If yes I really need to open the core! I hoped not but, truth is if is not the IMS then must be something inside?,
Any one who do reasonable price and a good Job on Core swaps? or how long to rebuild!

thanks again for reply much appreciated
Ciao

Old 03-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by carreramadness
Thanks for the reply the particles are not magnetic
and circa half mil limiter on size!
the engine at the moment is on the floor as I checked the IMS and is good!
feels solid with no play !,Oil Pumps ? or rod bearings?
could this be ? If yes I really need to open the core! I hoped not but, truth is if is not the IMS then must be something inside?,
Any one who do reasonable price and a good Job on Core swaps? or how long to rebuild!

thanks again for reply much appreciated
Ciao
What year is your 996? Next you should drain the oil into a clean pan to see what else is in the oil. Then remove the oil pan cover & see what is in there. Post pictures. Pan is easy to remove but you need to carefully pry it from the engine.

Old 03-02-2014, 09:18 AM
fast996 is on a distinguished road
madness , how many miles on your 996? just curious, sorry to hear about the engine

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody Elses 996 Motor Blow up this Week?