996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

NHTSA and IMS -- Read if you had IMS failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 PM
cmer is on a distinguished road
NHTSA and IMS -- Read if you had IMS failure

Not sure if this has ever been posted here, but I found this great piece of information at http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/128...ion-To-Proceed :
MY 04 Boxster (58K) just suffered what appears to be IMS failure (still awaiting postmortem). This is a defect which should have led to a recall, and Porsch dealer employess have admitted as much to me. Recalls are triggered by complaints to the NHTSA. NHTSA complaints and investigations can be researched at their website: http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owners . Complaints can easily be filed there. Between MY 2000 and 2010 there were only 6 IMS failures reported with std or S Boxsters: 1 in 02, 4 in 03, 1 in 04 - not enough to trigger an investigation, much less a recall. I assume this is the tip of the iceberg. If everyone with IMS failures went to that website and filed a complaint, perhaps an investigation might be triggered. The person I talked to at NHTSA, when I described the IMS failure, said "tell your friends".
Everybody who had the IMS fail should complain to the NHTSA. Hopefully it can trigger an investigation and force Porsche to recall the engines.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 PM
Sosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the rough
Good luck with that one.... next time you do your clutch change the bearing.... less stress...not a big deal...

Old 07-15-2011, 06:51 AM
sukeiasa is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sosoomi1
Good luck with that one.... next time you do your clutch change the bearing.... less stress...not a big deal...
um... if all it takes is filling out some forms and it could potentially save other 996 owners from having to shell out for new engines... why not? being a responsible owner of a vehicle does not end at just maintaining your own vehicle, but also holding the manufacturer responsible when they have a allegedly faulty design...

Old 07-15-2011, 07:01 AM
Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !Zookie Is a GOD !
It will never ever happen... who ever will be in charge of that (IMS) case at NHTSA will go missing the next day if it goes any further... Germans will not Submit!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:31 AM
LCid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Zookie
Germans will not Submit!
Sure they will. It just takes some convincing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-E_Day

Old 07-15-2011, 11:10 AM
sukeiasa is on a distinguished road
i do think the likelihood of a recall happening is extremely slim... but what does it cost someone with a failed ims to file a complaint? if anything it would be therapy for the money spent replacing the motor...

there are plenty of things that people thought it will never happen but it did... fire, lightbulb, airplane, going to the moon, car with an engine in the back... what's the harm in encouraging owners who had ims failure to report it?

Old 07-15-2011, 11:40 AM
02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold
Based on all of the posts I've see, an IMS failure has yet to result in an accident, injury or fatality--except to one's wallet. So...IMHO...NHTSA (the "S" standing for Safety) won't be interested in or do anything about it.

Ditto for the Consumer Products Safety Commission; no safety issue, not interested.

Anyone should feel free to submit a complaint if that makes them feel better. They simply shouldn't expect any help/action to come from doing so.

I know I'd be mightly pi$$ed if my IMS went boom. But I do not think any US government agency has or should have a role to play in such a circumstance provided there's no public safety issue.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Sosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the roughSosoomi1 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by sukeiasa
um... if all it takes is filling out some forms and it could potentially save other 996 owners from having to shell out for new engines... why not? being a responsible owner of a vehicle does not end at just maintaining your own vehicle, but also holding the manufacturer responsible when they have a allegedly faulty design...
As I said.... Good Luck with that one.....