996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Plastidipping my whole car!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:23 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
With the kit it comes with a paint gun and you had thinner to the plasti-dip to take the texture away from it and allows it to flow out of the gun like normal paint. Dries the same and regular plasti-dip.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:41 PM
delirium is an unknown quantity at this point
wait a sec, doing it that way... wont the radiator be covered in plastidip cuz he just sprayed the front of the car.. wont that affect performance?

Old 04-24-2012, 05:26 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Watch the video. He covered the radiator with cardboard preventing any of the dip from getting in it.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:27 PM
delirium is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by JSavinoJr
Watch the video. He covered the radiator with cardboard preventing any of the dip from getting in it.
Ah, i see.. sorry, i forwarded through parts of the video.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:19 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
What a tease. After watching the entire video it ends when the most important part begins. The clean up is where the entire process works or not. If it doesn't completely clean up properly, the entire procedure is a bust. I would have liked to see the final stage of clean up and the final result.

Additionally, if the dip peels off the lights and glass that easily, what keeps it adhering to the paint after a scrape or bump by a person's hand or ???

Old 04-24-2012, 08:51 PM
You really have to get a good edge on it for it to come off. He has other video's of him hitting it with a pressure washer and it does nothing to it.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 PM
sk2929 is on a distinguished road
Subscrided.....waiting for pics!

Old 04-25-2012, 07:46 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm pretty skeptical on the quality of the spray that comes out of those electric handheld sprayers. If you've ever used one, you'll know what I mean. It's fine for around the house but not sure how it would turn out for a smooth finish for the avg joe that hasn't painted a lot.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:59 AM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by alpine003
I'm pretty skeptical on the quality of the spray that comes out of those electric handheld sprayers. If you've ever used one, you'll know what I mean. It's fine for around the house but not sure how it would turn out for a smooth finish for the avg joe that hasn't painted a lot.
I agree for regular paint, i'd be skeptical. For plastidip, I think it'll be ok. It's very forgiving. You put a pretty crappy glob of plastidip and after a few hours after it's dry, it looks pretty good.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Kenny B is on a distinguished road
I'm really interested! Can't wait for pics myself!

Old 04-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by alpine003
Yeah I'd tend to agree with that...
This does seem to be pretty forgiving stuff but I'm a little skeptical.
Those elec. spay guns are terrible at best, I can see the globs shooting out of it now... and if you do get any "runs" you'd have to start over.

Not to be too critical but ehhhh.... what's with the piece of grass stuck on the car!
Damn the dude didn't even wash the car properly before "painting"... the whole thing looked pretty unprofessional to me.
But I guess for those whom decide to do it themselves, they'll certainly do a better job than this guy.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:08 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
I watched the car prep in the video, and kept thinking that is was a joke. The overspray inside the hood, doors,and trunk on a white car has to look horrible.... and no paint prep / degrease and cleaning? Spraying outside where bugs and crap will get into the drying finish? Just wow.....

Old 04-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Katmanz is on a distinguished road
Interesting I guess you could have ur local shop dip it for u

Old 05-04-2012, 04:29 PM
New Video new gun.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:06 PM
khyber will become famous soon enough
I intend to try this out on my Miata... if I beat you to the punch I'll let you know how it all turns out . Not sure where the OP is from but if you want a test car, here it is , I'm in SoCal/LA if anyone else is interested in checking it out when I do it.

-Max

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plastidipping my whole car!!!!