996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Floating at highway speeds?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:54 PM
Parkcity911 is on a distinguished road
Okay, after some good high speed straights and corners I've finally found the best set up for my system. I've landed at 35 lbs front and 40 lbs rear. I'd go lower on the rear if I was planning on a cornering drive or event, but this feels good for both and probably reduced wear.

I'm running Bilstein PSS9's (1"lower than stock) and 19" DCR rims. This set up BLOWS stock away. I've driven both and there is no comparison. So, Ogun228, ask Porsche why they upgrade the suspension on the more expensive models if the stock is so good? Why not run stock on the track? Well, I think we know that answer, it is the best "for the money" only. You can upgrade these items and hone them in to work way better than stock. Porsche also recommends 15,000 mile oil changes...do you do that? I don't know anyone who does.

Cheers.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:20 PM
phantom works is on a distinguished road
Good to hear you got it worked out, it's much more fun to drive when you are confident in the way your car handles.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Heima996C4S is infamous around these parts
@Parkcity911. Good info man... I will be installing PSS9's on my 04 C4S in like 2 weeks, really looking forward to it NOW!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:38 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
You know, I was thinking about this over the weekend and here is what my thoughts are. This is my opinion only: the way the 911 is set-up it would appear that at speed the front end would lift up a tad for two reasons, first, the front end height would allow a significant anount of airflow to go under the car, second when the rear spoiler is up(I have aC4 S) or in the case of fixed spoilers the spoiler is doing what it was designed to do, put downforce on the rear of the car, the more speed the more force and those two things combined would make the front end feel like it's floating.
My solution would be to either lower the car about an inch, or get a front end airdam or spoiler to force the front down, or better yet do both.

just my observation and thoughts.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:48 AM
machbx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stephan_porsche

Lowering the car changed your suspension geometry. I went with a whole M030 (Springs, Struts, Sway Bars and Bushings) and have no issues. Fastest I have got her is @162mph and she had no issues.
I have to agree there - on the NB the float comes from the American clearance. I'm debating on whether or not to lower mine - I wanted to keep it stock as a rock - but hey - in Europe lower is stock

Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 AM
I do have the GT3 front bumper with way more downdraft than stock. I don't know the pressure it creates, but it feels pretty solid. It felt really solid when it was pretty much slammed, but I could not take hitting the bump stops. Plus, it feels way smoother being just about an inch lower than stock.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:04 PM
ogun228 is on a distinguished road
"So, Ogun228, ask Porsche why they upgrade the suspension on the more expensive models if the stock is so good? " think there's

Don't think there's need for that. I run a 2005 completely stock as a DD all year around. I don't track but do auto-X with PCA and do ok, stock with some adjustments in tire pressures. Long trips on pikes and country roads. In 2 years of ownership, no problems at all. Just replaced tires at 28k,( stock Conti N2's at recommended inflation)
More expensive models are Turbo, GT variants, different cars for different purposes.

If you're happy, that's what counts.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Wow....nice tire wear. I certainly don't get that. I'm about 12,000 max on my rears. I really don't have any issues either, just that it felt too squarrely when tires were inflated too much (for me anyway). Mainly at higher speeds. I get the same thing on my SUV's when overinflated. It may be due to my 19's too and them handling the inflation differently. Cheers.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:37 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
Cheapest fix: get a set of Euro stock springs. You can get a used one for $100 shipped. You don't even have to install the rear ones as they have same spring rates and same height than US's rears. I did install all 4 anyway. The front ones, will lower the car 10mm or so. Better stance, and no floaty feeling.

I did this, adding Koni FSDs, and ride is very smooth over LA nasty roads (the FSDs at work).

Last edited by tarzancoe; 07-10-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:49 AM
dailydriver will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by ogun228
It's rather strange that those who experience this so-called "floaty" feeling have all strayed from the P-approved setups and recommended inflation pressures.
PC recommends N rated tires with inflation 36 front and 44 rear. There is a reason for that: the geometry of the rear engine. Any time one strays from the recommended and/or apporoved setup, you will alter the car's handling characteristics. You do so at your own risks. 'Nuff said.

I went from OEM Michelin PS2s to a new set of PS2s, factory suspension, no modifications. When I first noted the issues I checked tire pressures and ensured they matched recomended pressures, and continued to experience the issues. At that point I started straying from the recomended tire pressures to see if it would get better but did not see a drastic improvement.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:32 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
There is always the possibility that some who have the floating feeling in their front ends may have worn suspension (struts) parts. Recommended life is around 75,000 miles but tracking or rough driving can certainly decrease the lifespan. I've drove one of my Porsches to 90,000 without incident but your experience may be different.

Old 07-15-2012, 05:04 PM
invius is on a distinguished road
I have it, and do not have matched front and rears. It seems that the majority of people who are reporting that they have it do not have matched fronts and rears. My rears are virtually brand new, and the fronts still have quite a bit of life left on them, but I will definitely be matching them when they get replaced.

@Tarzan, when you went to the Euro springs and lowered the front 10mm, did you find that you were hitting more curbs, bumps, etc., or is 10mm not that big of a deal? I don't hit anything now (and that's how I like it) but don't know if I am missing things by more than 10mm or more.

DS

Old 07-18-2012, 09:27 PM
perryinva is on a distinguished road
10mm is nothing to consider. PSS9s drop the front and rear a standard of 30mm plus or minus. No issues with anything. PS2s (N3), M030 ARBs, PSS9s, no floating at up to 120, so far.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:55 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by invius
I have it, and do not have matched front and rears. It seems that the majority of people who are reporting that they have it do not have matched fronts and rears. My rears are virtually brand new, and the fronts still have quite a bit of life left on them, but I will definitely be matching them when they get replaced.

@Tarzan, when you went to the Euro springs and lowered the front 10mm, did you find that you were hitting more curbs, bumps, etc., or is 10mm not that big of a deal? I don't hit anything now (and that's how I like it) but don't know if I am missing things by more than 10mm or more.

DS
10mm is .3937 of an inch, so no biggie. FWIW and in my opinion if your looking at putting lowering springs on you should also change out the shocks, maybe not for 10mm only but if it's around an inch I would. I'm going with Bilstein sport shocks along with the Eibach Pro Kit.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dailydriver
I went from OEM Michelin PS2s to a new set of PS2s, factory suspension, no modifications. When I first noted the issues I checked tire pressures and ensured they matched recomended pressures, and continued to experience the issues. At that point I started straying from the recomended tire pressures to see if it would get better but did not see a drastic improvement.
Interesting, obviously the oem tires were N rated, are the new PS2s N rated & oem size?