996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

What brand of gas do you use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:24 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Accidental double post, sorry

Double post by accident

Last edited by FLA996TT; 07-19-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
What ever is available (name brands) when I need gas. I don't get any difference between brands. Conoco is closest to my office so that's what it gets most.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:28 AM
stephan_porsche will become famous soon enough
93 Octane with Water/Methanol Spray boosting it to 116 Octane, with 6lbs of boost.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:09 AM
solarboy is on a distinguished road
94 octane

Old 07-20-2012, 08:44 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
The OP asked for Brand. Octane varies from area to area. For example 94 octane is not available at 10,000 feet in Colorado. Highest octane is a given.

Last edited by denversteve; 07-20-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:25 AM
Byprodriver is on a distinguished road
Nuthin but Ethel !

Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 PM
larryallen is on a distinguished road
We only have 91 octane in Cali. I get name brands: Chevron, Shell, Exxon, etc....

Old 07-22-2012, 08:15 PM
larryallen is on a distinguished road
I should add, does anybody know where you get hire than 91 in Nor Cal?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:40 AM
ogun228 is on a distinguished road
Cheapest 93 I can find

Old 07-23-2012, 08:50 AM
Parkcity911 is on a distinguished road
Higher Octane in Cal

Hi Larry,
Google race gas or non ethanol and you may find a dealer near you. If you mix race gas you can dial it in to hit around 93/94 octane for those rally drives. Expensive, but worth it. Or, buy some Amsoil octane boost. Will raise you 2 to 2.5 octane points...so 93.5.
Originally Posted by larryallen
I should add, does anybody know where you get hire than 91 in Nor Cal?

Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 PM
machbx is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by denversteve
The OP asked for Brand. Octane varies from area to area. For example 94 octane is not available at 10,000 feet in Colorado. Highest octane is a given.
Well keep in mind that that the *only* difference in your gas is the additives. My inlaws owned several gas/diesel stations here in the midwest. The Sam's pumper is getting the very same gas as that BP pumper. It goes on the basis of what you "put in" in theory - so Conoco puts in 4 million barrels at the Terminal in in gulf - they are allotted or granted those 4 million barrels wherever terminal they take out - from Maine to Calif.

But and this is where some stations try to earn your business - is in their additives they put in their allotment - whatever part per billion of what the heck ever "drive your engine clean" *stuff* that they consider proprietary that may be. And no, you don't have a right to know what that is is - bc you Porsche is eating it - not you.

I buy the highest octane whenever is the cheapest - in my case Sam's.

If you want to add *Twinkies* in the form of octane booster or line cleaner I'd say get that at the WalMart or the parts store that has to tell you whats in the bottle.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by machbx
Well keep in mind that that the *only* difference in your gas is the additives. My inlaws owned several gas/diesel stations here in the midwest. The Sam's pumper is getting the very same gas as that BP pumper. It goes on the basis of what you "put in" in theory - so Conoco puts in 4 million barrels at the Terminal in in gulf - they are allotted or granted those 4 million barrels wherever terminal they take out - from Maine to Calif.

But and this is where some stations try to earn your business - is in their additives they put in their allotment - whatever part per billion of what the heck ever "drive your engine clean" *stuff* that they consider proprietary that may be. And no, you don't have a right to know what that is is - bc you Porsche is eating it - not you.

I buy the highest octane whenever is the cheapest - in my case Sam's.

If you want to add *Twinkies* in the form of octane booster or line cleaner I'd say get that at the WalMart or the parts store that has to tell you whats in the bottle.
Sorry, that's not true.

There are allowable differences in the content of gasoline, differences in the make up of gasoline (there are limits/tolerances of what gasoline can contain prior to any additives being added, what gas can weight, its BTU content, and so on) that there can be noticeable differences between the gasoline produced by different refineries.

A few years back, a gasoline test done by Evo magazine -- a UK car mag -- found that supermarket gasoline while it could be very good, as good as name brand gasolines, varied too much and this was due to the mix of refineries/supplies the supermarket gasoline purchasers used.

OTOH, the name brand gasoline outlets used fewer refineries and the same one or ones, and as a result their product was more consistent.

The recommendation was to buy from a name brand station to get consistently the best gasoline and to buy from a busy station to get the freshest gasoline.

Generally a busy station offers the lowest or low prices so one gets a good quality, a consistently good quality of gasoline, fresh and at a good price.

As for additives in gasoline, my belief is if one is buying a gasoline that he feels he needs to improve with additives he's buying the wrong gasoline.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Last edited by Macster; 07-23-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by Macster
Sorry, that's not true.

There are allowable differences in the content of gasoline, differences in the make up of gasoline (there are limits/tolerances of what gasoline can contain prior to any additives being added, what gas can weight, its BTU content, and so on) that there can be noticeable differences between the gasoline produced by different refineries.

A few years back, a gasoline test done by Evo magazine -- a UK car mag -- found that supermarket gasoline while it could be very good, as good as name brand gasolines, varied too much and this was due to the mix of refineries/supplies the supermarket gasoline purchasers used.

OTOH, the name brand gasoline outlets used fewer refineries and the same one or ones, and as a result their product was more consistent.

The recommendation was to buy from a name brand station to get consistently the best gasoline and to buy from a busy station to get the freshest gasoline.

Generally a busy station offers the lowest or low prices so one gets a good quality, a consistently good quality of gasoline, fresh and at a good price.

As for additives in gasoline, my belief is if one is buying a gasoline that he feels he needs to improve with additives he's buying the wrong gasoline.

Sincerely,

Macster.
You have been misinformed - Exactly why would you be checking a UK mag for for US gas? It's completely false unless, of course, you have stations and use a different countries pipelines (since you seem to speaking from experience?) The only thing that was true in what you said is the part about the busy gas station and I never add anything to my gas. You did forget the part about never filing up when the fuel tanker is in the lot. Fuel being disbursed "stirs" the tank underground. So how many do you own in the midwest?

Last edited by machbx; 07-24-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Ok, let's slow down

The intent of my post/question was mearly to see what "brands" people were using. I'm personally torn between Shell (which I've used for years,) Mobil or Chevron.
Here's why; I read an article about detergent gas and it concluded that for regular 87 octane Mobil had the most detergent and for super 93 octane Shell had the most, they concluded that the high detergent would keep the engine cleaner therefore better for the car.

Note: I have no experience in this area and these were not my conclusions.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
The intent of my post/question was mearly to see what "brands" people were using. I'm personally torn between Shell (which I've used for years,) Mobil or Chevron.
Here's why; I read an article about detergent gas and it concluded that for regular 87 octane Mobil had the most detergent and for super 93 octane Shell had the most, they concluded that the high detergent would keep the engine cleaner therefore better for the car.

Note: I have no experience in this area and these were not my conclusions.
Sorry - I wasn't trying to hijack your thread . Totally agree on Shell's additives. I used to like Amaco's better - but that's when I had a Big Block that was over cammed and it wouldn't run very well w/o high octane gas in replacement of the Ethyl

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What brand of gas do you use?