996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 or 991

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:43 AM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
996 or 991

I was at my local gym today and there was a new 991 in the parking lot. I went up to it to check it out and see how they look in person. To be honest I wouldn't trade my 996 for a 991. The 991 has taken on more of a luxery look, the car doesn't have that aggressive look anymore and I think Porsche has made a mistake by doing so. Don't get me wrong, the car is beautiful as every Porsche is (even a 914). I do like how the fenders are more level with the hood. I am sure the car is much faster then the 996 but, today there are so many aftermarket companies and parts out there that you can make your 996 even faster than a 991. I am sure through time the look will grow on me more and more but, I will always think Porsche has taken away from what the car is....a super car. If I want luxery I will buy a Panamera. I own a 911 for it's engineering and capabilities and agressive look.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I'll probably buy a 991 in a few years. I think it's a bigger upgrade for my 996 C4S than a 997 would be. I just have to finish putting the kids through college and then we'll see what happens! I can't wait to see the 991 C4S and turbo...

Old 08-12-2012, 10:53 AM
PoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura aboutPoRsChE_ShIfTiN has a spectacular aura about
Oh its a gorgeous car, I certainly am not taking from the car. I just personally would rather have my C4S.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Don't get me wrong - I love my C4S. However, it's a 10 year old car now. I like some of the technology upgrades on the 991 (interior, electronics, engine, etc.) and I think it would be a great car. I'm thinking of a cab for the next one. Maybe I should just keep the 996 too...

Old 08-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Heima996C4S is infamous around these parts
I have spent a fair amount of time in the drivers seat of the 991 Carrera S, as well as quite a few 997 Carrera S models, and my 996 C4S. I love them all, but all for different reasons. The 991 is an amazing car, and the more you look at it, the more it grows on you, the front end is fantastic IMHO, the rear end on the other hand needs some work. But to drive, it is amazing, lots of fun, but less raw than the 996 and the 997 IMO. Feels more luxury, more digital, and I do not care for the center console stack, makes it feel more like a Panamera. But the sound coming into the cab at WOT in the 991 is amazing. No stereo required.

Old 08-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Heima thats exactly what I am saying, the 991 has more of a luxery spin to it. The car has lost its raw power look. I can't comment on feel due to never driving the car. I am sure it feels powerful but, doesn't have the feeling like the 997 or 996's, the feeling of controlling a supercar. I am sure it feels more now as the car is doing most the driving for you. Don't get me wrong, if I could own both cars I would be happier than a pig in **** but, that isn't the case. So, I would rather stick with my C4S. If anything I would buy a 997 gt3RS. That is a car I would love to get my hands on!!!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:53 PM
Jcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to beholdJcusa is a splendid one to behold
No disrespect intended but I have to disagree with you on the this one. While I have never drove the new 991, I love it, including the interior. However, I do agree with you on the GT3-RS though - I would love to own what car too.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Hahaha kinda like walking into the lions den... I have a 991 C4S cab on order.

Ok I Loveeee my tricked out '04 996 C4S cab, it's been customized just for me and has been a true work of passion for many, many years.
However...the roads have become so bad I find myself cursing more and more (as opposed to having that grin on my face all the time)... the 997 isn't much better.

So I decided to try the 991.
I first saw it in Feb. at the dealer and was underwhelmed... then I saw a black 991 there in March and for some reason it had grown on me, actually it was love at first sight.
Drove it and wowwww, it's 2 cars in 1... all the settings off and it's more comfy than my 2011 E class Benz, hit sport+ and it's monster!

Man that thing has power, especially with the PSE on it's such a visceral experience, just awesome!
I put a deposit down right then and there.
That said, I just could not see myself going from a wide-body to a narrow-body and decided to wait a few months for the C4S 991 to come out... and a few more months, and a few more... still no C4S 991 news from Porsche at all!

Finally I'd had enough of the waiting and was contemplating getting a Maserati Granturismo S Cab instead.
It looks good, sounds awesome but the ride... ppfffff it's like trying to roller blade with a cow... dragging a baby elephant.

Tried the SLS AMG Roadster as well (which I love!) but it's just to cramped inside for me (6'4'' 250 pounds)... so back to the 991 C4S.
It's been a long wait (and it's not over yet) but I'm really looking forward to getting it in... March.

Sid.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:09 PM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
I have a 991S cab (MT) that replaced a 996cab. I also have a 996 Turbo that I bought new. I'm seriously thinking of selling the 991. I drove it for the first two weeks as it started, no sport or sport +. It might as well have been an SL or some other luxury car. Just nothing impressive imo (other than the ride; it is amazing on the crap roads here). I was very, very disappointed in the car then I started to use the sport + button. It did turn what was a boring luxury car into a 911. It started to feel, sound and drive like my 911's of old. After a week of sport + mode I'm a lot more impressed.

All that being said I will put the car up for sale in a month or so. I typically pay cash for cars and for $120K I have to LOVE IT. I don't and that's coming from someone who has owned 911's since the 80's and loved them all. It's just to much of a luxury car for me...

Old 08-12-2012, 08:49 PM
Jcusa I take no disrespect. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I personally think Porsche is losing its attraction to the car, you ask anyone who has had/has a 993 they will tell you that was the last real Porsche. I tend to think the 996 and 997 has maintained a level of sports driving where as Ferrari and other makes had moved to a "drive by wire" while Porsche was still making stick shifts. The 997 Gt3-RS is more of a sports car then an Italia. The car is not made for your comfort, it cramps you and the ride is a bit rough, but that's what a super car is. It's not made to make you feel like your laying in bed. It's made to make you feel like your ripping laps at the 24hrs of LM. I think Porsche has lost that vision and it jumped on the wagon with other makers who lost that vision a while ago.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Sid, congrats on ur new 911 (when it gets here). I think you should keep your 996, I am willing to bet you will come to respect the car even more. When you get back in it yeah it might not be as fast but you will get that race feeling that the car was designed to give you. Id wait for the 4s to come out. Don't go narrow body when you are already WB with your current 911. I think you will find yourself wishing you had just waited if you get a narrow body.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Tpup what you just said is exactly the vibe I was getting about the new 911. It's Def a gorgeous car, no doubt about it. I just think if I want luxery I will go buy a Benz or MB. I wish the new 911's kept their old heritage. I am on my first 911 but, I have driven plenty of them and other high end cars like Ferrari f355 (my other dream car) and f430 etc etc. None compare though to the feeling you get behind the wheel of a raw 911.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PoRsChE_ShIfTiN
Sid, congrats on ur new 911 (when it gets here). I think you should keep your 996, I am willing to bet you will come to respect the car even more. When you get back in it yeah it might not be as fast but you will get that race feeling that the car was designed to give you. Id wait for the 4s to come out. Don't go narrow body when you are already WB with your current 911. I think you will find yourself wishing you had just waited if you get a narrow body.
Thanks dude!
Yeah I've resigned to waiting for the 991 C4S... soon it will be winter and I don't drive the 911 then, so it'll make it a bit easier.

I do agree that the 991 is much more luxury than the 996/997 and because it revs 2800K higher than the aforementioned it really does need to be driven like a Ferrari.

That said the base 991 is definitely lacking in torque (a lot) so it'll be disappointing for most (coming from the 996) but honestly if you put your foot down in the S (with sport+ !!) it's the epitome of the modern sports car.

I test drove just about everything between $140 to $200K (fun in it's own right ) but came to the conclusion... Porsche, there is no substitute!

996, 997 or 991 they are all great but the fact that you can chose between super-car mode and comfy luxury mode is something I'm looking forward to... the fact that the 991S is as fast as the 997.2 GT3 (around the N'ring) doesn't hurt!

If only it didn't cost so damn much!!

Last edited by Psycho Sid; 08-13-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 AM
If I could have both I would do it in a heartbeat. The only purchase I might make over it would be a Ferrari F355 and thats only cause since I was soiling my diapers I have wanted both a 911 and a F355 lol. Your going to feel on top of the world when you get that car in, the car is gorgeous and is going turn lots of heads. I can't wait to see what the GT3 looks like. Maybe they will keep that car as a pure power 911 and keep that "race car" feeling to it.