996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Ground Control camber plates?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Question Ground Control camber plates?

Hi everyone, I installed my ROW 030 suspension and now need to correct my alignment. The rear is pretty easy with some dog bone adjustable arms but what about the front? I know there are several options out there one of which was the Cross (JIC) camber plates which I cannot find. Since this is not for a race set up I would prefer a infinitely adjustable type of camber plate were I can dial in a modest camber for street purposes. I found one at Ground Control but cannot seem to find any people using this (I tried searching). Has anyone heard of this unit?

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...p/II=909/CA=97

David

Old 08-21-2012, 12:21 PM
jzarrabi has a spectacular aura aboutjzarrabi has a spectacular aura aboutjzarrabi has a spectacular aura about
Did you do anything else to the car that won't allow the stock suspension components to get to a good setup?

I was considering installing the ROW M030 in my car but I didn't think I would need adjustable dogs or front camber plates... I thought that was if you used lowering springs or had a fully adjustable suspension for track use?

Old 08-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Reborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to beholdReborn996 is a splendid one to behold
Well, my situation is a little unique. I am using the standard ROW M030 kit but modified the front struts to allow more drop since it rides a little high compared to the rear at stock configuration (many posts about this). Also, I am running the Ruger Mesh 19" wheels with a very aggressive offset for my narrow body 996 (only option available) and decided to go with a 305 size rear tire. There are several other 996 NB owners running this setup but you have to roll your fenders and run high negative camber to reduce rubbing. What I found out is that with the adjustable dog bones you can bring the top of the rear tire in for clearance and also set it for a street friendly camber all at the same time. However, since I lowered the front more to give it a more even look I now have too much camber in front... hence the camber plate option. I believe with stock size tire fitment and non-modified ROW M030 you can adjust alignment without issues or additional parts. Below is a pic of how it sits now...

David

Last edited by Reborn996; 08-21-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Oh, and if anyone is curious what my "modification" was on the front struts it is actually pretty simple to do... there is a small metal stop tab on the lower part of the strut where it slides into the wheel hub collar, you can cut it off with a dremel or similar tool for a modest additional 1/4" drop or so (The strut mount bolt then becomes the new stop)... then if you want more drop all you have to do is elongate the opening at the top of the metal plate on the side of the lower strut housing where the strut bolt goes through so it allows the strut to sit lower in the collar before it hits the bolt. I was able to get another 1/2-3/4" of drop this way to even out with the rear.