996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

IMS Guardian - Intermediate Shaft (IMS) failures.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 02:41 PM
zeeeeeee is on a distinguished road
IMS Guardian - Intermediate Shaft (IMS) failures.

I had the Intermediate Shaft (IMS) failure in my car 5 years ago. I ended up getting a new complete engine from the dealership on which I have only put 15,000 miles since I had it installed. It is still like new, with no leaks, seepage, wet. It is bone dry underneath and it does not even burn oil (or maybe I dont notice, since every time I take it in for a oil change it is full and I only drive about 3K miles per year on this car).

Anyways, since being traumatized by the Intermediate Shaft (IMS) failure previously, I want to get some feedback on the IMS Guardian. I have the following questions for anyone that has this installed in their car:

1-Does it really work?
2-Have you ever had a false alarm? How would you tell if you really need a new bearing?
3-Have you had the IMS Retrofit Kit installed as a result of the IMS Guardian going off?
4-How much is the labor to install the IMS Guardian?
5-How much is the labor to install the IMS Retrofit Kit?
6-Has anyone ever had an IMS failure after having the IMS Guardain and/or IMS Retrofit Kit installed?
7-Would you recommend getting the IMS Guardian?
8-Who would you recommend to install the IMS Guardian in the Los Angeles/Orange County area?

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by zeeeeeee; 08-28-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:50 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
I've seen a lot of discussion on this on the Boxster forum. There, or search here and there may be something.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Thank.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:17 PM
Jake Raby is on a distinguished road
The most information from users will probably be found at 986forum.com forums.

1-Does it really work?
I can give you some names of believers, just email me.

2-Have you ever had a false alarm? How would you tell if you really need a new bearing?
A false alarm really isn't possible.. Because any amount of ferromagnetic material in the oil sump thats substantial enough to sound the alert is too much. It may or may not be the IMS Bearing, but it could be a camshaft, lifter or etc and could be an even bigger deal than the IMSB.

3-Have you had the IMS Retrofit Kit installed as a result of the IMS Guardian going off?
I know of at least a dozen who have, they were just the ones that reported the occurrence.

4-How much is the labor to install the IMS Guardian?
Average cost is 700.00 for the unit and installation, to include oil service, oil and sump inspection.

5-How much is the labor to install the IMS Retrofit Kit?
Generally the IMSR runs a bare minimum of 2K with the in-depth and proper procedures running 3,500.00 all inclusive.

6-Has anyone ever had an IMS failure after having the IMS Guardain and/or IMS Retrofit Kit installed?
None have been reported to date.

7-Would you recommend getting the IMS Guardian?
I'll leave this up to the other posters.

8-Who would you recommend to install the IMS Guardian in the Los Angeles/Orange County area?
Tony Callas at Callas Rennsport. Tony has units in stock and he wrote the feature story that debuted the technology last October in Excellence Magazine. Tony was the first person to install the Guardian outside of Flat 6 Innovations.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:53 PM
TraderJoe will become famous soon enough
I had a failure at 54k and took the other route, resleeved and bore out to a 3.8 with LNE Nickies and of course upgraded the iMS. Got it done locally at Rennology. I should be bulletproof now but would have easily spent $700 on the guardian had I known. Now I just need to go back in for my 160 degree thermostat. These cars are made to be driven but a little piece of mind doesn't hurt either.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:05 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I have a brand new IMS guardian sitting on my shelf if anyone is interested. Decided to gamble once again.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:38 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
My thoughts

When I purchased my C4S in May, I had them do the retrofit because I wanted peace of mind. Had it done at the dealer along with RMS replacement, oil change, and some other minor work to the tune of about $2800.00. If you're worrying about it then get the retrofit and use a good oil such as Joe Gibbs DT 40. Also, not driving the car can cause problems as well, these are high reving engines and need to be driven as such, they can take it so long as you keep on top of the oil and maintain them.
Some people say that the persentage of failure is so low it's not worth it, but to me it was. I also installed the spin on filter adapter.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks Jake and everyone else for their feedback. Valuable info.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Stone_05 is on a distinguished road
I just had my IMS,RMS etc. Changed as well for peace of mind. Had the clutch changed as well since it was the original. My luck really sucks and if there is the slightest chance out there for a failure...I'm sure it would've found its way to me. After getting everything swapped out I was told everything was in working order and no leaks. That's not what I really wanted to hear, but better to get it done now and just enjoy the car.