996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 wide body LED tail lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
The company told me that the mold production would cost in the neighborhood of $180 K. That's why there are so few vendors willing to go with this. Narrow body 996 is far more common than wide body and they already know the sales numbers on the narrow body LED and don't feel that the demand is there to pay for the development cost.

The mods locked down the thread because they felt that it was a "group buy". I'm waiting for the admins to unlock it after they check if the sponsors will approve the thread. This discussion has been ongoing for about a year - if there were any sponsors here willing to produce them, we should have heard by now...

Old 09-12-2012, 01:52 AM
Empyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to beholdEmpyreal is a splendid one to behold
A mold is $180K? I don't know, but to me, that doesn't pass the sniff test. You see the projects being done on Kickstarter with manufacturing in China for about a third of the cost, and being more complex.

$180K is a lot of money and it's inconceivable that it would take that much time/effort/labor to set up a mold. Yeah, if you had to buy your own injection machines, etc., but presumably, that's not what we're talking about.

Oh well. I hope that I don't come off as to harsh to you, Slider. We're on the same side. I'd love to see a widebody version of the lights. <frustrated>

Old 09-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !Slider Is a GOD !
Hey, I don't care if you're harsh - I didn't come up with the price; it's just what the vendor is telling me. I have heard over $110 K before as well. I don't see how it would possibly cost that much either, but no vendor here is stepping up to provide the product, so there must be something to it.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
OK, here is your chance to get in on this and make it happen. If you want to make your C4S look a lot better, here you go.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post3652331

This one is vendor sponsored so it will stay up. We just need a large group to get this started.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by seanmcr6
I would definitely be in at $600...even $800 if the were well made and looked good with the stripe.
Originally Posted by jfintexas
I'm in too assuming it aligns and matches with the reflector.
Can you guys post your commitment on the "official" site so we can count you in? We are at 71 and still climbing.

The manufacturer may be willing to create a new strip to match the new lights. It would be very unlikely that they could get a perfect colour match - I would bet most existing strips would not match because of varying exposure to sun and elements. It would certainly be something to ask and it shouldn't be a significant development cost for a fairly flat, straight piece of plastic...

Old 10-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Volkers is just really niceVolkers is just really niceVolkers is just really niceVolkers is just really nice
Spyder LED rear lights

I recently installed these Spyder LED lights.
I really like the look and the quality, and they were basically plug and play.
The price was $299 on Amazon.
You just have to be careful plugging in the small sidemarker lights: these are direction specific, color coded , and will blow a fuse and cause hyperflasing if not plugged in correctly.

They are cool and look awesome!

Attached Images  
Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Can you post the actual link where they specify these are for wide-body 996?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Volkers is just really niceVolkers is just really niceVolkers is just really niceVolkers is just really nice
Wide body LED

Good point.

I just checked and they say "Will not fit the 4S/Turbo/GT3"
Their link is:
http://www.spyderauto.com/product.ph...D-Tail-Lights-

I forgot that the 4S is different from the 4..
A shame, since they look nice and the price is decent

Old 09-20-2013, 09:39 AM
creekman is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if the wide body LED light project will be completed in ones life time? I've been holding out to replace the tail lights due to broken mounting tabs. I need to move go to Plan "B" soon.

Thanks,