996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Clutch job

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 PM
brwiedman will become famous soon enough
Clutch job

I was wondering.....
I have 100K km on my 2003 Carrera. I let a mechanic drive it soom time ago and he said that my clutch was "heavy", meaning that I had to push the pedal further to disengage the clutch. He said that I should consider a new clutch. ( Of course I would change out the IMS bearing and put in a new RMS).

What is your take on this? Do I need a new clutch? How can I tell if what he said is correct? I am sure that if he took a compression test he would prescribe a valve job too. If he looked at my suspension he would recommend new bushings.... ( should I go on)?

How much work does one do on their car as preventitive medicine?

I have another mechanic friend who says don't worry about "it" till it breaks.

Yes I understand oil changes are important, but clutches and like stuff, I am skeptical.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:12 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Change your clutch when it needs replacing not before. If you're concerned, have it "looked at" at a dealership when you have your next oil change. My dealership inspects the car whenever it's in for an oil change.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:46 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
keep driving until clutch is slipping. you will get lower mpg when that happens. it's not a maint item

Old 11-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by brwiedman
I was wondering.....
I have 100K km on my 2003 Carrera. I let a mechanic drive it soom time ago and he said that my clutch was "heavy", meaning that I had to push the pedal further to disengage the clutch. He said that I should consider a new clutch. ( Of course I would change out the IMS bearing and put in a new RMS).

What is your take on this? Do I need a new clutch? How can I tell if what he said is correct? I am sure that if he took a compression test he would prescribe a valve job too. If he looked at my suspension he would recommend new bushings.... ( should I go on)?

How much work does one do on their car as preventitive medicine?

I have another mechanic friend who says don't worry about "it" till it breaks.

Yes I understand oil changes are important, but clutches and like stuff, I am skeptical.
Get a 2nd opinion. Or try some clutchs in some used Porsches to see how your's feel compares.

100K km is a bit low imho for clutch life but clutch life is very dependent upon usage.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:30 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
One challenge is that if you drive the car until the clutch is slipping gladly you may dammed the dual mass flywheel. The cost of that part is $900+ at the dealer. If the clutch is starting to slip then I would recommend you replace it. Have you tried driving in third gear and giving it hard throttle? If the revs go up without the car accelerating the clutch is slipping.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:31 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dharn55
One challenge is that if you drive the car until the clutch is slipping gladly you may dammed the dual mass flywheel. The cost of that part is $900+ at the dealer. If the clutch is starting to slip then I would recommend you replace it. Have you tried driving in third gear and giving it hard throttle? If the revs go up without the car accelerating the clutch is slipping.
True. Take it and get a second opinion.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 AM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
I had my clutch replaced for the same reason. It was just as stiff afterwards. And the old clutch was 50% worn after 50k miles.

Indie it to install the LNE bearing and peace do mind, whatever I have left.

JB.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:29 AM
02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold02TX996Cab is a splendid one to behold
Four comments:

1. +1 to those suggesting you replace clutch before it begins slipping badly.

2. At 100,000 km (66,000 miles or so), your clutch may well need replacing.

3. Based on other threads in this and other forums, a "heavy" clutch is a sign it is nearing end-of-life. (Note, a "heavy" clutch and a "stiff" clutch are not the same thing.)

4. You sound like you doubt the truthfulness of your mechanic. If so, get a new mechanic. As much as we posters in here are trying to help, if you trust us more than your mechanic who's laid hands on your car, then you have bigger issues than whether your clutch needs fixin'. A trustworthy, competent mechanic for your P-car is a godsend.

Good luck.

Last edited by 02TX996Cab; 11-19-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:01 PM
Doug996InKC will become famous soon enoughDoug996InKC will become famous soon enough
Over the summer, I had a new clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing (the works) replaced because:
1. clutch pedal engagement was high
2. heard chatter on clutch pedal release

FWIW, the clutch itself had plenty of life left. It could be a worn pressure plate or throw-out bearing. Either way, if you're going in, you may was well have the whole assembly replaced.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 AM
douglasf13 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JB Lifeguard
I had my clutch replaced for the same reason. It was just as stiff afterwards. And the old clutch was 50% worn after 50k miles.

Indie it to install the LNE bearing and peace do mind, whatever I have left.

JB.
Same thing happened to me. At 80k miles, I had the clutch replaced, since it was stiff, but it ended up being only about 70% worn, and it is still stiff with the new clutch.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:40 AM
BB987 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am now at 130k miles and still on original clutch and doesn't appear to be slipping..should I consider changing it soon?

Old 01-29-2013, 06:26 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
I got similar feedback on my car a few years back. When I dropped the tranny, I found that the clutch was okay - my *real* problem was with the slave cylinder. At that point I replaced the clutch anyway, as everything was dismantled and I had already purchased all the parts.