battery problems-Weather??? - Page 2 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.
Sponsored by:

battery problems-Weather???

Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MileHigh986 View Post
Whoa there Noob. It would be hard to tell what your agenda is when you pop up and begin to throw a fit when someone disagrees with you. You MIGHT start by introducing yourself and your car. Then you might not be immediately mistaken for a troll.
Exactly. Please forgive me for the irrational and unneeded name calling but far too many times have we had guys come in here with a few post just trying to sell things or cause a disturbance and then leave. Some of us that have been on here for while have grown tired and probably too sensitive to it at times.

As for bragging or boasting about my car, the only thing I have is my mod list in my sig. I've never started a post talking about my car and until recently, only included a couple pics in response to someone.

It's unfortunate what happened to your son but I'm fairly sure exploding batteries is in the minority these days. Your son is lucky guy with that M3. I had 2 e36 models in the past including a 96 m3 sedan.

The 996 unfortunately has led me to neglect the 2002tii and e30 M3 but hoping to give them more love next year.

You just gotta learn to build up a thick skin sometimes and brush things off, especially from a$$holes like me. Life's too short to have strangers get your panties in a bunch .

Old 12-01-2012, 10:23 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Btw, your arsenal of brands is exactly the ones I've owned or currently own. Good choices.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:24 AM
hroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by aedolfan View Post
Hroussard, here's the deal, the most modern of cars that come from the factory with an AGM or gel cell battery have charging systems that charge using a non-constant charging system. Basically, these charging systems interrogate the battery to what charge is needed and when it is needed. Conversely, an older charging system, standard alternator i.e., delivers a constant charge. The potential is that you can overcharge the AGM or gel cell bettery, causing it to explode. Now, chances are this won't happen but under the right conditions it just may. Furthermore, we produce and sell a battery charger, for example, that is specifically designed to charge these type of batteries. Because the standard battery charger replicates the charging cycle of a standard older car. You can download a copy of our catalog from our website and on page 461, you want to read about our EEBC500.
Now, alpine003, you should use a AGM or gel cell in your p-car, because dumb-*** know-it-all *******s like you deserve what you probably normally get, than tend to blame others.
Best of luck to you buddy.
Thanks for the info . More reading up to do,.. it never ends

Old 12-01-2012, 10:28 AM
aedolfan is on a distinguished road
Alpine003, I too apologize for flying off the handle as I did, plz forgive me. I do not play nicely with name callers, defend your position in a rational and intelligent manner and I will be your best friend. Disagreements are a wonderful thing, we all grow from better understanding. We are all good.

I would like to upload some pics on the repair I'm doing to my car but don't know how, removing driver side door and replacing is not too hard...any offers of help?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:32 AM
hroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond reputehroussard has a reputation beyond repute
So on the explosion stuff... I understood that this would happen because charging the battery would / needs to be done is an ventilated area , and of course having the battery in the frunk hooked up to a charger is not exactly ventilated. So I have heard of the problem but only in regards to - is situ - charging and possibly even not with a trickle charger but with the big wack-a-mole- 10 amp charger etc. Comments??

Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
My conventional battery exploded a couple of years ago.

I was told it was because I left it on the trickle charger and a cell dried out and shorted.

I know it sure went boom.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Originally Posted by Brando View Post
My conventional battery exploded a couple of years ago.

I was told it was because I left it on the trickle charger and a cell dried out and shorted.

I know it sure went boom.
And that was a battery with individual cells that you could top-up I assume??

Old 12-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Brando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud ofBrando has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by hroussard View Post
And that was a battery with individual cells that you could top-up I assume??

Yes....learned my lesson to check it regularly.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:29 PM
brapp is on a distinguished road
battery problems-weather

Thanks for all the posts and some insight on some brands of batteries you guys own.
I think i will look into replacing it soon as it is not a daily driver vehicle for me but i try and start it and drive 2-3 times per week even through the winter..

Old 12-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by alpine003 View Post
I've been using Optima in various cars for over 12 years with battery chargers and tenders and no explosions.
I recently replaced my 8-year old Optima battery which I've been charging using the Porsche battery maintainer, also with no problems. If anyone wants to buy my Optima adapter plate, send me a PM.