996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Opinions/advice welcome! Interior Carbon Fiber, Alcantara, Suede, Aluminum, Wood?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 02:10 PM
N3llyNova is on a distinguished road
Opinions/advice welcome! Interior Carbon Fiber, Alcantara, Suede, Aluminum, Wood?

Hello fellow 6speeders!
I will try and keep this short and sweet for open-ended Q&A. I have searched a few rennlist, 6speed, bimmer forums, however need more up to date and precise opinions in regards to the topic of Interior Decor of our Porsche 911 (996 model).

2 questions:
#1: What is your Best interior style design?
#2: I hate to be limited, however I am in Sunny Southern California in San Diego, CA. and would appreciate if anyone can direct me to the best interior designer/installer shop.

just fyi: My vehicle is GT Metallic Silver (Exterior) and Black and Silver trimming (interior). Top of my head preference, is to have Alcantara interior with red stitching. That is just the top of my head with no deep research, just aesthetically my style. 2004 Porsche 911 40th yr Anniv. Limited Ed.

Extra credit: Also looking into newer headlight design or lighting. This 6speed link is the best I have seen thus far, however have not read it since the thread started and would like to hear your feedback on it https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...talled-10.html

yay or nay?

Thank you kindly in advance and please no haters, trolls, snakes and other creepy crawlers.

N3llynova aka N3

Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Personally, I agree with your taste of alcantara with red stitching.

If you have an mk2, there aren't any aftermarket headlights in that shape. Your best bet would be to get covers, vinyl wrap or tint your stock lights, or paint.

Psycho Sid's car looked pretty sharp in the way he modded his mk2 lights for me personally.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
All I can say is this...cars that I have seen with carbon fiber on the interior really show the dust and fingerprints, I have some CF on my F-150 and really dislike it for that reason.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the feedback!!! Keep it coming! Any recommendations for local shops to install the interior design? and also for HID/LED local shops in San Diego? Or even Southern Cali?

@Fla996TT: I used to like Carbon Fiber, until I seen what weather can do to it after time. Cracked!! In addition to your comments.

@alpine003: Psycho sid's headlight trim? Ew, not my style, but then again, no PSM or ABS codes light up and no fuss with wiring. lol.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:43 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by N3llyNova
Thanks for the feedback!!! Keep it coming! Any recommendations for local shops to install the interior design? and also for HID/LED local shops in San Diego? Or even Southern Cali?

@Fla996TT: I used to like Carbon Fiber, until I seen what weather can do to it after time. Cracked!! In addition to your comments.

@alpine003: Psycho sid's headlight trim? Ew, not my style, but then again, no PSM or ABS codes light up and no fuss with wiring. lol.
Yes the heat will cause it to crack. Also, it seems to always have static electricity which attracts dust and dirt. I think a nice combination of leather and aluminum might look nice.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:04 PM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
OP, color/material combo sounds great.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Company names for Porsche fame!

Originally Posted by FLA996TT
Yes the heat will cause it to crack. Also, it seems to always have static electricity which attracts dust and dirt. I think a nice combination of leather and aluminum might look nice.
I checked out the new 991 interior with updated aluminum interior linings. It looks clean, however simple. Yes, simple is fantastic too, but Porsche owner's aren't simple, we are multi-complicated I say. lol.

Maybe combination of alcantara, red stitching and aluminum would be a sweet partnership. Even designs on the dashboard or seat covers. Who knows. I need to do much more research, but I am willing to find out and hopefully receive a tally on the best long lasting high quality interior with a very aesthetically pleasing and presentable design.

Any companies yallz recommend?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 PM
6ta1 will become famous soon enough
your interior is not black, it's metropole blue.

also, pay close attention and you will notice that you have a mix of gt silver (center console) and artic silver (handles)

but regarding your question, I would take some dark alcantara to match the sunroof. My personal car has yellow brakes so I would take yellow stitching and the deviated seatbelts matching

Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 PM
Cool Shine bright like a diamond!

Originally Posted by 6ta1
your interior is not black, it's metropole blue.

also, pay close attention and you will notice that you have a mix of gt silver (center console) and artic silver (handles)

but regarding your question, I would take some dark alcantara to match the sunroof. My personal car has yellow brakes so I would take yellow stitching and the deviated seatbelts matching

@6ta1: What are your talking about? There is zero/0 % blue. I have interior trimmed in special soft dark gray natural leather. The center console, and the handbrake lever are finished in GT silver metallic. You might be mistaken with a different limited edition.
Attached are some interior photos I took a while back. Changes have been made since.

Nonetheless, great suggestion on brakes and stitching. My brakes are Black. So I wanted to switch the style up. I used to be all performance until I exhausted all options on performance, so I am left with cosmetics.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07984.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	205525   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07193.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	356.4 KB
ID:	205526  
Attached Images  
Old 01-31-2013, 03:56 AM
I have a 40th anniversary too. They all came with LM7Z exterior (GT silver) and TB interior.

examine closely the area around the latch to fold your seat.

the latch is black, and you will see your leather is not 100% black

Old 01-31-2013, 04:10 AM
for what it's worth, the official Porsche press announcement called the color "soft dark grey"

http://press.porsche.com/news/release.php?id=178

so I might stand corrected

Old 01-31-2013, 05:50 AM
rockyfd is on a distinguished road
Alcantara steering wheel, door and interior trim.Tequipment alumalook trim,matching exterior paint seat backs and center console,and some black accents.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	362.1 KB
ID:	205536  
Old 01-31-2013, 07:32 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Based on your wheels, I say go with what you like and suits your personality. All your interior ideas seem to be great thus far. FWIW, there is a sponsor on here that will redo your seatbelts to a variety of colors if you don't the optional Porsche colored seat belts or if you think the price for those seatbelts are ridiculous(like me).

Old 01-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Material type?

Originally Posted by rockyfd
Alcantara steering wheel, door and interior trim.Tequipment alumalook trim,matching exterior paint seat backs and center console,and some black accents.
Sweet deal. I might either leave my steering wheel alone or replace the entire thing. Not quite sure yet, here is a link I found at around $800.
Steering wheel specification:
Steering wheel was designed to adapter OEM airbag (triangle type 996/986 airbag only)
Overall diameter reduce from OEM 14” ¾ to 13” 1/2 (top to bottom) and 14” 1/8 (left to right)
Overall thickness (circumference) increase from OEM 4” 1/8 to 4” 7/8
Leather color: Black (more colors coming up)
Stitching color: BLACK/RED (more colors coming up)
NO core exchange required.

The T96 Sport steering wheel is thicker, more comfortable to grip
The T96 Sport steering wheel is smaller, more fun to drive
The T96 Sport steering wheel has flat bottom, give you some extra lap space
The T96 Sport steering wheel gives the car a new interior look

link:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...86-models.html

The attached photo (2012 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0) looks simple and yet clean, yes I know, it's a different vehicle than mine.

@alpinoe003: Most definitely going to base choice on my preference. Seatbelts, I suppose it is how I look at the steering wheel, too pricey for what its worth. That's why I just want to do simple but profound, like alcantara plus red stitching.

Maybe I can ask the question in a different way. How about material, because I have read information on alcantara, real suede, ultra suede, microsuede and leather or other interior choices, man made material, etc. As confusing and non specific as this may be, I am hoping to to attain more information on best type of material then go from there. Also, I have seen photos of printed logos, words on the seats or even on the dashboard? I'm open for more opinions and personal experiences. Same goes for headlights. I changed a few lights here and there and I definitely needed the right specs to prevent abs/psm lights to go off everyday. I want quality and prevent future issues. Best headlights that won't make the car light up with errors and the same goes for custom interior, unless you always park your car in doors with great weather, carbon fiber can crack amongst other things (I have seen this in person and up close to some other folks vehicle). Not ruling out CF or limited to Alcantara, which is why I am here to know more about anything new out there?

Also, Please post photos of YOUR custom interior decor. That would be awesome. Post links or photos to more information regarding materials. Post links or photos to more information regarding headlights. Yes, I would like to get educated in this subject manner, because I do not want to be the P-car owner with peeled interior and busted headlights. Not so cool for Porsche community. lol.

Lastly,
Any company names? drop some names to check out. Know any in San Diego? Orange County? Los Angeles? Temecula? etc?

Appreciate the tips thus far.

Name:	2012 Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 8.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	205620  

Last edited by N3llyNova; 01-31-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 PM
scats is on a distinguished road
Here is my write up on the T96 wheel

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...installed.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions/advice welcome! Interior Carbon Fiber, Alcantara, Suede, Aluminum, Wood?