996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

NB Tire size combos / Wheel offset / Spacers thread...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 AM
alexhenningsen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Parkcity911
2001 NB C2. I'm running 19". Fronts 19X8.5 / Rears 19X11. Tires are 235/35/19 and 275/30/19. The current tires are Goodyear F1's and appear more stretched the the Kumho's that came with the car. I'm thinking of stepping up to 295/30/19 in back. The front are maxed, the car has PSS9's and does not rub any of the suspension, but barely touches the front wheel well plastic on a fully cranked turn....has not been an issue at all. The car is lowered about an inch. The alignment is stock and no rubbing occurs in back. Rear offset is 65, since it is not rubbing. I don't know if the 295's will rub? Any ideas on this?
Thanks for the info, very helpful. 3 quick questions, before I order my wheels this week.

1. What's the offset of the wheels in the front?
2. What kind of springs are you running.
3. What are some popular wheels on a 2001 996?

Old 05-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Parkcity911 is on a distinguished road

Hi Alex,

I hope I'll be helpful:
1. 53mm in front. And I mean they barely touch the plastic when cranked completely to one side. In fact, if the tire wears down by 2mm, they won't. They are fairly new F1's.
2. The springs are Bilstein PSS9 coil overs. This car was slammed when I bought it / about 2" lower than stock. I raised it 1" as it drives better and doesn't scrape things or hit the bump stops.
3. Check out Tire Rack and search out Damon from there too. He has a lot of Porsche knowledge. He can help with rim sizes, offsets and tires too. Google images and check out what you want. Here are a couple photos of my car and rims. I love the set up and like lips on them. 1" in front, 2.5" in back. I don't like spokes that stick out as the tend to grab curbs and that is no good. I also like polished alum on the lips as you can grind, sand and re polish to bring them back to perfect condition.

My friend is running 18" Champions. His do not lip much, but they do look nice. See photo. The photo of it in front of the white barn are from when it was slammed. It does show the lips pretty well.

Good luck and hope I was somewhat helpful. Chris

Old 05-06-2013, 10:26 AM

Hi Alex,

I hope I'll be helpful:
1. 53mm in front. And I mean they barely touch the plastic when cranked completely to one side. In fact, if the tire wears down by 2mm, they won't. They are fairly new F1's.
2. The springs are Bilstein PSS9 coil overs. This car was slammed when I bought it / about 2" lower than stock. I raised it 1" as it drives better and doesn't scrape things or hit the bump stops.
3. Check out Tire Rack and search out Damon from there too. He has a lot of Porsche knowledge. He can help with rim sizes, offsets and tires too. Google images and check out what you want. Here are a couple photos of my car and rims. I love the set up and like lips on them. 1" in front, 2.5" in back. I don't like spokes that stick out as the tend to grab curbs and that is no good. I also like polished alum on the lips as you can grind, sand and re polish to bring them back to perfect condition.

My friend is running 18" Champions. His do not lip much, but they do look nice. See photo. The photo of it in front of the white barn are from when it was slammed. It does show the lips pretty well.

Good luck and hope I was somewhat helpful. Chris
This is exactly what I'm looking for, thank you!!

I noticed your headlight covers, where did you get these? Cost?
Thanks

Old 05-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Alex, they were on when I bought them. For two pieces of plastic, they are expensive. But, if you go to ebay, you can find cheaper knock offs that are probably as good. Sorry I was not more help on these, but they do give it a newer model look that I like / unique.

They are techart and cost about $700.

Last edited by Parkcity911; 05-06-2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: addition of brand name
Old 05-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Alex, they were on when I bought them. For two pieces of plastic, they are expensive. But, if you go to ebay, you can find cheaper knock offs that are probably as good. Sorry I was not more help on these, but they do give it a newer model look that I like / unique.

They are techart and cost about $700.
I'm getting pretty eager to make a decision on wheels. I thought I would throw this out there:

If you we're to buy wheels again (for a car you will drive 8,000 - 15,000 miles a year) would you buy 19" or 20"
On a 2001 Carrera 4 Cabriolet with 1" drop all around
Thx,

Old 05-06-2013, 07:43 PM
tarzancoe will become famous soon enough
19". 20 too much for those cars. Looks funny and drives bad. 18" drives better but 19" ok.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:25 AM
I second what Tarzancoe says. 19" is as big as I'd go on a 996. They look good, fill the hole completely and if you can get a set with the weight within a couple pounds of the OE rims you'll be good. That is what I am running. 18's would be good for a daily driver on bad roads, but I only drive mine on dry days and have another vehicle. Offset is the most important as you don't want rubbing. With a 1" drop, either of these sizes would be a good choice. Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Former Vendor
One@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud ofOne@D2Forged has much to be proud of
From a personal and business standpoint and experience, gotta agree with you. Porsche 996 looks best with up to 19" in size. And I love the oldschool approach with a fat lip, multispoke or mesh ... that would be the best way to go.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:36 AM
I second what Tarzancoe says. 19" is as big as I'd go on a 996. They look good, fill the hole completely and if you can get a set with the weight within a couple pounds of the OE rims you'll be good. That is what I am running. 18's would be good for a daily driver on bad roads, but I only drive mine on dry days and have another vehicle. Offset is the most important as you don't want rubbing. With a 1" drop, either of these sizes would be a good choice. Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.
Great thanks! I'm thinking the 808 series by Wheel Dynamics

Old 05-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by One@D2Forged
From a personal and business standpoint and experience, gotta agree with you. Porsche 996 looks best with up to 19" in size. And I love the oldschool approach with a fat lip, multispoke or mesh ... that would be the best way to go.
With your experience, what do you think about 19" on the front and 20" on the. Rear?
I've seen it done on Maseratti and corvettes all the time.
Thx,