996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Has Anyone ever painted there brake hub?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 12:33 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Has Anyone ever painted there brake hub?

With the large Techarts this part of the brake drum or hub (not sure) is ugly! Has anyone attempted to paint this? Also I would think that it would need some high temp paint because its probably gets pretty hot.. What do you guys think? I have to pull my rims off next week so I thought I'd would clean up around the wheel wells. Im going to paint it silver to match the rim.. Don I can't believe you haven't done this

Old 07-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Or what about the high temp coating they put on headers?

Old 07-19-2003, 10:59 AM
Orient Express is on a distinguished road
Talking I have painted mine twice

kevin: here is how I do it. I paint the hub in place.

Take the wheel off (duhh)

Clean off the hub with carb cleaner, brake cleaner or what ever solvent you are fond of.

Mask off the caliper and pads

mask off the center spindle and nut

Use some good light grey engine primer

spray the hub. dont worry if you get any paint on the rotor surface. (but try not to get too much on there) The first time you brake, the paint will be worn off. That will also cut a nice line around the part you just painted.

Personally I would not care for silver, as they come from the factory in grey.

the last thing you might want to consider is to take some steel wool to the outside rim of the rotor to get rid of the rust and dirt that accumulates there. Be sure to blow out the steel wool particles real good so that they don't stick add add more rust. There are some that take engine paint that is dull gunmetal metallic grey and shoot the rotor cooling vanes as well.

Old 07-19-2003, 03:54 PM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is on a distinguished road
Kevin & Orient,

I love the Techarts and the Carrera 5 spokes, they're soooo easy too clean. However, the new Cargraphics I put on my Cab are great. They hide everything. Rotor rust, hubs, etc. They're a little more work on the outside, but no more fuss on the inside!

Eric

Old 07-20-2003, 02:45 PM
wakejudge is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi Kevin

Keep me posted on this one, I am interested in the results. Would Hammerite work ?? I did this to my MGB some years ago (brake capiliers) and a part from stone chips have very worked well.

Old 07-20-2003, 02:57 PM
Robert Linton is a splendid one to beholdRobert Linton is a splendid one to beholdRobert Linton is a splendid one to beholdRobert Linton is a splendid one to beholdRobert Linton is a splendid one to beholdRobert Linton is a splendid one to beholdRobert Linton is a splendid one to beholdRobert Linton is a splendid one to behold
Although with the proper product, the brake hats (bells) can be painted, eventually, generally sooner than later, they will get dirty. To increase both performance (as they will reduce very important unsprung and rotating weight) and looks you might consider a two piece disk and hat. Finally, if you do decide to paint the hats, take the disks off the car and carefully mask all other parts of the disk -- paint blocking either the holes or the vanes will have a negative effect upon performance -- but not nearly as bad and dangerous an effect as paint in the calipers or other parts of the vehicle that might result from painting on the car.

Old 07-20-2003, 04:15 PM
wakejudge is on a distinguished road
Smile

I'll probably pass on this one, but they do look a little dull.

Thanks anyway.

Old 07-20-2003, 10:11 PM
have to disagree with Robert

Painting the hat on the car is perfectly safe, A little overspray will be wiped clean by the pads. As far as blocking the vent holes, one has to aim at the hat, not the holes, and just spray on enough to do the job. There is more of an issue of buildup of pad dust blocking the holes in normal use than overspray from painting the hats.

I have been using this method for quite a while, and the car still stops just as good as ever.

overspray on the rotor being dangerous is in the same league as getting pregnant from toilet seats.

Old 07-21-2003, 12:43 AM
Robert Linton is a splendid one to beholdRobert Linton is a splendid one to beholdRobert Linton is a splendid one to beholdRobert Linton is a splendid one to beholdRobert Linton is a splendid one to beholdRobert Linton is a splendid one to beholdRobert Linton is a splendid one to beholdRobert Linton is a splendid one to behold
Orient Express is obviously a far better painter than I and far more courageous.

Old 07-26-2003, 01:42 AM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Gary.. your tips were very helpful!!

I like how they turned out!

Before

I steel wooled the top of the rotors as well..

Old 07-26-2003, 01:41 PM
looks great!

As soon as you use the brakes the painted edge will clean up to a perfect circle!

Looks great!