996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Buying 996 with IMS making noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 09:40 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
IMS making noise? Weird? Why would you consider this vehicle? I'd be interested in having the seller post a video.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:38 AM
jimtripin is on a distinguished road
i'm going to check the car out and video it and the noise I'll keep you all posted if I can get it for 10,000 I may jump at it and change the bearing myself

Old 01-16-2014, 07:45 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Just a quick FYI, if the bearing in it now is bad, then there could be other internal damage to the engine. So, just replacing the bearing would not be the answer.

Originally Posted by jimtripin
i'm going to check the car out and video it and the noise I'll keep you all posted if I can get it for 10,000 I may jump at it and change the bearing myself

Old 01-16-2014, 12:06 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Well if you're going to do thi you may as well change the clutch and RMS while it's apart. This is major work though.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:33 PM
ok started pricing parts YIKES so I decided to look at some used 996s on Saturday and hold of the project. with any luck I'll have my 996 by the end of the weekend

Old 01-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Dude, don't rush it, take your time and look around.

ok started pricing parts YIKES so I decided to look at some used 996s on Saturday and hold of the project. with any luck I'll have my 996 by the end of the weekend

Old 01-16-2014, 01:02 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Howaboutthat
Does anyone really know what noise an IMS bearing would make, and if so, how? I wonder if this is a noisy cat or muffler. The 99's have double row bearings, which makes an IMS breach considerably less likely than otherwise. Might be worth a PPI if everything else is terrific. If the noise nevertheless is from the engine (whether or not the IMS), certainly best to move away quickly.
I've come upon several cars at the dealer that have been in for what proved to be a bad IMS bearing. I've heard the engines run.

I can't really describe the sound other to say that it is clearly -- to me anyhow -- an unhealthy sound. It was clear the noise wasn't coming from the accessory drive end of the engine nor from the transmission.

Something to keep in the back of your mind while driver your Porsche, any car really, is anytime the engine starts making noise that is the time to shut off the engine and get the car to a qualified shop for diagnosis. That is *not* the time to start the engine and run it in hopes the noise will go away on its own or somehow you will guess its source, as if that makes it all better.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Smart decision.

That 996 with the noisy IMS bearing would be expensive even if the owner gave you the car.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Old 01-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Howaboutthat is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Macster
I've come upon several cars at the dealer that have been in for what proved to be a bad IMS bearing. I've heard the engines run.

I can't really describe the sound other to say that it is clearly -- to me anyhow -- an unhealthy sound. It was clear the noise wasn't coming from the accessory drive end of the engine nor from the transmission.

Something to keep in the back of your mind while driver your Porsche, any car really, is anytime the engine starts making noise that is the time to shut off the engine and get the car to a qualified shop for diagnosis. That is *not* the time to start the engine and run it in hopes the noise will go away on its own or somehow you will guess its source, as if that makes it all better.
I agree with you completely. In my earlier post, I was wondering whether the sound made by this particular car was from an IMS issue, as the "crinkly" sound described seems not unlike (significant) exhaust system rattles. Coupled with the double row bearing that car should have, I thought it might be worth OP's investigating a bit further as he might otherwise get a great deal on a car with a fine, or at least sensibly replaceable, bearing. If the IMS is indeed the culprit, I would move on, as the OP seems to be doing now.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:49 PM
The first 2 are c4's which I personally would lean to, the last on doesn't give enough info.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:27 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
First, spin on your heels and ... ready, set, run. Next, never buy car from someone who is telling you, up front, that there is engine noise that he believes is terminal. Lastly, I don't believe the IMS bearing ever gives any noise warning prior to going out. If it did, the people who have experienced it would have stopped and had it fixed prior to catastrophic occurrence. Either way, undiagnosed engine noise is no way to begin an expensive relationship.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:20 AM
nanoc15 is on a distinguished road
Will the faulty bearing be related to any specific models / year? I have a 2001 C2 with 110K on her but she runs strong and has been well maintained . . .

Old 01-20-2014, 08:25 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
+1 Denversteve!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:58 AM
went to see a number of 996's on the weekend one of which was the reason for this post the seller said that the IMS needed to be changed. I listened to this car and could not hear a thing but a normally running 996. The seller would not leave the car running for a long period of time as the noise only would appear when the car was warm. my immediate thought is that this is a water pump issue not IMS because if I'm not mistaken an IMS would make noise right from the start if it is going. Either way I walked away after hearing the whole story from the seller. Engine was replaced and supplied by his buddy a mechanic out of his 996? a new clutch was installed but he didn't do the IMS or RMS? my hunt is over for now decided to invest in some property instead of buying the car.

thanks to all of you for your help in my search I'll probably just pick up a Boxster for the summer

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying 996 with IMS making noise