996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

To blackout or not to blackout?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:17 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Take it to a shop, here are some prices in Tampa:

Services

Pricing

All pricing is plus tax.
Wheels/Rims:

• On vehicle $125
  • Unmounted sprayed in and out. $200
  • Wheels Over 20-inches call for quote
Cars:Basic Pricing

• Subcompact – $600
  • Compact – $655
  • Midsized 2dr – $675
  • Midsized 4dr – $700
  • Fullsized Sedan – $750
Trucks:Basic Pricing

• Small – $750+
  • Medium – $850+
  • Large – $950+
  • SUVs – $950/ $1200+
  • Vans – $975 / $1300+

Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 AM
Saibot is on a distinguished road
What wheels are those on the yellow car?

iForged variants?

Old 05-07-2014, 11:50 AM
dbTarga996 is on a distinguished road
if your still on 4x4 height , black wheels can make your gap look even larger.

If you can find them , get some gt3 wheels. Those in my opinion look the best on our 996's

Old 05-07-2014, 04:45 PM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by alpine003
I vote plasti-dip of you're looking to do a matte black and not 100% sure if you'll like it or keep it. About $15/can x4 at local pep boys to do all wheels conservatively DIY
That's it? I'll make a pit stop once I get off the train. I may go nuts on the colors. Hmmm. I may first want to see how JSavino does it so I don't mess up and paint the breaks

Originally Posted by FLA996TT
Take it to a shop, here are some prices in Tampa.
Sounds about right. I received quotes by a shop in PA where my Ferrari friends refurb their wheels. To paint them $165 a wheel or $195 for nonstandard color. I think I'll give the spray a chance until I find the right finish maybe even color. I was hoping to try out my first DIY, lol!

Originally Posted by Saibot
What wheels are those on the yellow car?iForged variants?
Nice aren't they? I'm coveting. Don't have delivery of it yet until graduation. The wait is unbearable! But I will ask.

Originally Posted by dbTarga996
if your still on 4x4 height , black wheels can make your gap look even larger. If you can find them , get some gt3 wheels. Those in my opinion look the best on our 996's
Gaps, not cool. Gt3 would be sweet. I'm liking the idea if/when I can find one.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:48 PM
996Ray is on a distinguished road
They do not have to be matte. If you go to www.dipyourcar.com, (no affiliation), they sell a glossifier. I put two light coats on to give the wheels a sheen. 4 coats would have given them a shine. Watch videos on youtube - they teach you everything you need to know to do a good job. It is my opinion that you have to take the wheel off of the car to do it right, but, some folks do not. I also found it best to mask off all but 1/2 inch of the tire. Leave 1/2 inch of rubber showing and coat that half inch just like you are coating the wheel. When you are done, you tear off that 1/2 inch strip and it leaves a perfect edge. You must put on 5+ coats if you want to peel it....but, fear not, even if you don't want to put that much product on the inside of the wheel, they sell a dip dissolve solution. Spray it on, wait 5 minutes, spray it on, wait 5 minutes, hose off the dip...back to your original wheels. I love the stuff. I have had mine on for 5 months now...daily driver...rain and shine...still looks great.

To answer your question, they only look at me funny after I tell them it is plasti-dip. Maybe they can afford an 1800 dollar wheel set.....for me, it is plasti-dip.

Good luck,

let me know if you have any questions.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4454.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	371940   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4453.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	371941  
Old 05-08-2014, 04:25 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Nice pics! Came out very nice especially with your silver car. The 2 coats of gloss is perfect. Not too glossy or dull. Thanks for the website. Was looking through it for awhile. One of the shops listed is nearby and has vids of ferraris, Ms, Audis... The whole car too!

Looks better and cheaper than wrapping. My theory of blue accents would be easier with this I think: inside rims, carerra badge, underside side mirrors...

Old 05-08-2014, 07:40 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
If you've ever painted anything in your life or can follow directions, you have nothing to lose except an afternoons worth of time and some dinner money as you can always remove it if you mess up. And imagine the look on guys faces knowing a woman painted her own wheels. Priceless.

Of course there are those that don't want to be inconvenienced by that sort of stuff or have messed up on previous projects and that's also fine to have it done. We can't all get A's in home economics or wood shop.

My advice is to look on YouTube. There are hundreds of videos on this stuff.

My couple top advice for newbies would be to make sure it's warm outside. Prep the wheels really good meaning degrease and clean(make sure no silicone tire spray on wheels). Let can sit in bucket of hot water so spray comes out more forcibly and less splatter before you decide to spray. If you've never painted, I would take off the wheel and lay it flat to minimize or eliminate any chance of runs.
Have fun!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:46 AM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
All you would need : 4-5 cans of black and one can of Glossifer.

Steps I do :

Clean the wheels,dry with compressor,let air dry for a bit. Spray tire shine on the tires and wipe off rims. Clean wheels with alcohol/water mix. Take off center caps,heat can in a bucket of hot water (Sprays much smoother),first two coats light and the next 4-5 wet,1-2 coats of gloss wet. Wait ten minutes before each coat. I take the wheels of and put them on four buckets and rotate them every 2 coats.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:27 AM
My advice is to look on YouTube. There are hundreds of videos on this stuff.

My couple top advice for newbies would be to make sure it's warm outside. Prep the wheels really good meaning degrease and clean(make sure no silicone tire spray on wheels). Let can sit in bucket of hot water so spray comes out more forcibly and less splatter before you decide to spray. If you've never painted, I would take off the wheel and lay it flat to minimize or eliminate any chance of runs.
Have fun!
The website Ray shared is inspiring-- very creative videos.

Ok, noted. I stopped by an auto supply store en route home and all they had were cone orange! They can't seem to stock these fast enough. I'll have to wait anyway until the flooding conditions let up. First snow then the deluge as soon I got the car. Still 3,000 miles under the belt!

We can't all get A's in home economics or wood shop...And imagine the look on guys faces knowing a woman painted her own wheels. Priceless.
Haha, I live for that. The look on the guys when I won woodworking, shop, drafting, and auto on awards night. I did get backlash though being 1st girl to get NASA scholarship in college, pissing off even bf. Some guys just can't handle it. I spent a lot of time tinkering at the tech school garage and firehouse with the guys growing up and that also upset the nuns at my all girls high school. Oh well, can't make everyone happy so might as well do whatever you want.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by JSavinoJr
All you would need : 4-5 cans of black and one can of Glossifer.

Steps I do :

Clean the wheels,dry with compressor,let air dry for a bit. Spray tire shine on the tires and wipe off rims. Clean wheels with alcohol/water mix. Take off center caps,heat can in a bucket of hot water (Sprays much smoother),first two coats light and the next 4-5 wet,1-2 coats of gloss wet. Wait ten minutes before each coat. I take the wheels of and put them on four buckets and rotate them every 2 coats.
Got it. Will give it a try this weekend if the rain stops. Here are my inspirations of the blacked out look with a bit of color. These are Vellano wheels that I cannot decide on so I'll play around with coloring different surfaces. Husband promised one of these for Christmas but deciding which is tough (leaning towards the 3rd one below) and no returns on custom. I'm thinking inside windows and keeping the face black. **Instead of red or orange in the pictures, I'm going with deep blue.

I'm going to need some painters tape.

Name:	blackedout.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	372030   Click image for larger version

Name:	pcarinsidecolor.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	372031   Click image for larger version

Name:	pcarinsidewindo.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	372032  

Last edited by porschemama; 05-08-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:10 PM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
If your auto parts store doesn't have the color you want, Home Depot/Lowes or just about any hardware store sells it too.

I haven't done the Plasti-Dip route yet but I have painted my brake calipers blue. If you're going to do this, remember to purchase a set of PORSCHE caliper lettering. After applying to your newly painted calipers, put a coat or two of clear heat resistant enamel over the lettering.

Name:	IMG_4480.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	372126  
Old 05-08-2014, 02:56 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Pepboys will have most of the colors but are almost double of what home depot wants.

Old 05-08-2014, 04:31 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porschemama
leaning towards the 3rd one below) and no returns on custom.
Oooh, third one seems like cleaning hell. Those would be a nightmare with stock OEM pads to keep purdy. Other than that, they all look decent.

I agree with Home Depot if you're going with black. Pep boys does have a large assortment of colors though.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:46 AM
Originally Posted by Pors-Vette
If your auto parts store doesn't have the color you want, Home Depot/Lowes or just about any hardware store sells it too.

I haven't done the Plasti-Dip route yet but I have painted my brake calipers blue. If you're going to do this, remember to purchase a set of PORSCHE caliper lettering. After applying to your newly painted calipers, put a coat or two of clear heat resistant enamel over the lettering.
I like your wheels. I wouldn't black them out if I those against my basalt black.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:15 AM
Damn it guys! The wheels are too smooth! Unlike the VM17, there are no clear edges from the face to the windows, grooves, or lips. I don't have a choice but paint the entire thing in one color. Also, I did a sample of the (rally) blue behind black matte. The blue doesn't pop as much as I would like. The deep red is growing on me now. It's a fine line between badass subtle (akin to the lambo pic) and rally Ken Block car. Although he is cute and badass at the same time.

rayng- Upon closer inspection, you are right. His wheels are wide body 19s. His have the edges for painting 2 colors. Such a shame.

Oooh, third one seems like cleaning hell. Those would be a nightmare with stock OEM pads to keep purdy. Other than that, they all look decent.

I agree with Home Depot if you're going with black. Pep boys does have a large assortment of colors though.
Ughh, exactly what my husband said- he who took my car through a car wash !

I really like how subtle the wheel is up front but flickers as you drive away. I detail and polish my car Saturday mornings before the house wakes up. Peace and quiet with my coffee. For the daily, I have a short hose reel midway the driveway for a quick spray for the annoying break dust and pollen on the car. The polish allows the water to bubble up and roll so a quick shammy wipe down and no water marks. I have a wheel cleaner I spray on while the car warms up and buckle the kids in, then spray off. Powerful stuff that need to be washed off in 3-5 minutes, LOL!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To blackout or not to blackout?