996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

To blackout or not to blackout?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 04:31 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Pors-Vette
I agree with you that people should do what they like. I'm a retired police officer in CA. I would rather not waste precious driving time by getting pulled over and cited for visible add-ons that could be avoided. That's just me. Why give the police a reason to stop you? I could never figure that out.
Although I respect the law and police officers(gubment is a different story), I find some laws not very practical or necessary. For example, my three tickets would normally be for no front plate, tinted windows, and the actual infraction(most likely speeding). I don't agree(and states apparently) in which should have tint/no front plate legal or illegal. I don't run limo tints but the lighter ones at 40-50% so officers can still look in to make sure I'm not branding a gun, etc. Corvettes always get away for no front plate around here and I personally like the no front plate look and willing to risk it. Laser is rarely used where I live and they always have the option to aim it at the windshield.

Fwiw, I'm glad states are finally starting to revise the speed limit in some areas from the standard defacto 55mph which have been instituted since the Flinstone era where your feet couldn't stop you fast enough and the stone wheels would fall apart from the instability.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:38 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
I wouldnt do window tints on my car. Philly is strict w tints--up there with Chicago on crime rates. I almost got car jacked by 2 blackout cars at 2am. They creeped up and boxed me in at a red light. I couldn't see through the windows, but when one door opened up, I drove over the sidewalk through the red light. My country boyfriend at the time (now husband ), was scared sh!tless. They kept up for a few blocks before losing them. I know the city well and drove to safety.

I think for style and safety, I want to fly under the radar. Bada$$ looking cars are not touched in the city a find. I don't want the car to limit/determine where I go: whether rittenhouse for a nice dinner, hole in the wall bar on callowhill, or cruising along the jersey shore... My badges are blacked out but the rims still stand out. Hopefully the plastidip will do the job in the interim.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:34 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
The way you style your car should definitely factor in your area and comfort/risk level. If I was out in Cali, I def wouldn't have half the mods I have now. Simply not worth it

Old 05-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Pors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the roughPors-Vette is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by alpine003
Although I respect the law and police officers(gubment is a different story), I find some laws not very practical or necessary. For example, my three tickets would normally be for no front plate, tinted windows, and the actual infraction(most likely speeding). I don't agree(and states apparently) in which should have tint/no front plate legal or illegal. I don't run limo tints but the lighter ones at 40-50% so officers can still look in to make sure I'm not branding a gun, etc. Corvettes always get away for no front plate around here and I personally like the no front plate look and willing to risk it. Laser is rarely used where I live and they always have the option to aim it at the windshield.

Fwiw, I'm glad states are finally starting to revise the speed limit in some areas from the standard defacto 55mph which have been instituted since the Flinstone era where your feet couldn't stop you fast enough and the stone wheels would fall apart from the instability.
I, too, think that some states vehicle codes are a bit much. When I was working, I never bothered to make routine stops on vehicles without front plates, license lights in-op, expired reg, etc a normal practice. It gave me probable cause to stop them later on when it mattered.
I don't have my front plates on my Porsche or Corvette either. Yeah, it's hypocritical but like you I think it looks better. If you're not driving to attract attention most of the time you'll be left alone.
I purchased the Porsche with dark window tint on the sides and rear but had the driver's and passenger's door windows stripped and re-tinted to 20% so you can see inside.
A friend of mine moved to Texas and recently sent me a pic of the new interstate speed limit of 85. Time to move to Texas!

Old 05-15-2014, 10:39 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
I don't have my front plates on my Porsche or Corvette either. Yeah, it's hypocritical but like you I think it looks better.
indeed!

A friend of mine moved to Texas and recently sent me a pic of the new interstate speed limit of 85. Time to move to Texas!
I lived in Louisiana for 3 years and visited TX often. 75mph was norm. Best strip was en route to Galveston beach. I believe Rt 87 after getting off the ferry. A 10-15 mile stretch, flat, views of water on either side, clear visual to spot any 5-0s. The beach houses were gone post hurricanes so no traffic at all. Wish we had a Pcar back then but the Audi held its own.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:05 PM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
On the tint, well I do limo in the back and rear windows, 15% on the front passenger and drivers side , and 50% on the windshield. AC works great even in the Florida summer

Old 05-16-2014, 11:06 PM
dbTarga996 is on a distinguished road
So I tried the plastidip on my carrera wheels. I like this look a lot better than the chrome..couldnt stand the chrome at all.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_zps7be82d6a.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	375806  
Old 05-18-2014, 05:42 PM
JSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura aboutJSavinoJr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by dbTarga996
So I tried the plastidip on my carrera wheels. I like this look a lot better than the chrome..couldnt stand the chrome at all.
Came out great!

Old 05-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Got any more pics of the duckbill? Is that a Getty or MaShaw piece?

Old 05-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Got any more pics of the duckbill? Is that a Getty or MaShaw piece?
Its actually a Misha ducktail.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled_zps4c5bc5bf.png
Views:	168
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	376258  
Old 05-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Very nice! How long did it take from prep to finish?

Old 05-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by porschemama
Very nice! How long did it take from prep to finish?
From prep to finish , close to 2 hours or so. Cleaned the entire car , then cut hefty bags on one side where the seam is to basically mask off the calipers/rotors. Worked well to cover them. Than sprayed a coat and waited 15 minutes to do the next coat and so on.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:30 PM
Its actually a Misha ducktail.

Nice. Does that use your existing deck lid? Any comments on the construction/fit?

Old 05-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Nice. Does that use your existing deck lid? Any comments on the construction/fit?
It fits onto the existing deck lid, replacing only the pop up wing and hydraulic system, unlike Getty/Mashaw(sp?) which is just one whole piece that replaces the deck lid. The construction was solid but my body shop had to fix a lot of errors and cracks. The fit was good, as you can see it doesn't fit completely flush with the stock third brake light.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:22 AM
From prep to finish , close to 2 hours or so. Cleaned the entire car , then cut hefty bags on one side where the seam is to basically mask off the calipers/rotors. Worked well to cover them. Than sprayed a coat and waited 15 minutes to do the next coat and so on.
Ok, so you kept the wheels on. I was planning to remove the wheels but looking at your work, I may consider keeping on. Now, if the local stores wpuld actually keep black in stock (all stores named above have been out of stock for 2 weeks).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: To blackout or not to blackout?