996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Do sand and Pcar mix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 09:28 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Do sand and Pcar mix?

First time taking the pcar to the beach and just realized I don't have a garage to park it. The garage was converted so at the very least the car will be parked in the driveway and off the street (granted the island is only 3 streets wide). We are 3 houses away from the water so in the past I've spotted a light layer of sand on my car, much like a layer of pollen.

My husband thinks it's silly to bring my car wash/detail supply to vacation and I should just rinse it down every couple days. The thought of brown waterspots makes me want to bring a shammy and car cover as well. So ladies and gents, is sand and/or ocean water harmful to the car (2 weeks)? I'd hate to keep it home and family wagon it in the expedition.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:40 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Well the rust protection on these cars is excellent, so I don't see a problem there. I would howrver caution you about the sand, it could put light scratches in the paint. When I go to the beach with mine I wash it as soon as we get home, but we have a garage. I would so no problem, just be very careful cleaning the sand off, and make sure you clean the air filter each and every time as well as the cabin filter.

You have a cab so you may as well enjoy it at the beach.

Originally Posted by porschemama
First time taking the pcar to the beach and just realized I don't have a garage to park it. The garage was converted so at the very least the car will be parked in the driveway and off the street (granted the island is only 3 streets wide). We are 3 houses away from the water so in the past I've spotted a light layer of sand on my car, much like a layer of pollen.

My husband thinks it's silly to bring my car wash/detail supply to vacation and I should just rinse it down every couple days. The thought of brown waterspots makes me want to bring a shammy and car cover as well. So ladies and gents, is sand and/or ocean water harmful to the car (2 weeks)? I'd hate to keep it home and family wagon it in the expedition.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:52 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
i would avoid the car cover, every time you put it on you will be rubbing sand across the paint, unless by some miracle you manage to keep every grain of sand from getting on the cover and/or car, but as you are so close to the beach that will be almost impossible

cars get dirty, it wont kill it, rinse it down if you are worried about how it looks, and as said above, clean or replace the filters as necessary, and enjoy your vacation

Old 06-24-2014, 04:37 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Put up with the dirty car syndrome for the two weeks as others said. Only rinse off with hose if you want. Carry some quick detailer and mf towel in case some seagulls poop on your ride as you don't want that baking into your paint. Besides that try to enjoy alternate views other than your ride.

Old 06-24-2014, 07:26 PM
RDykmans is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alpine003
Put up with the dirty car syndrome for the two weeks as others said. Only rinse off with hose if you want. Carry some quick detailer and mf towel in case some seagulls poop on your ride as you don't want that baking into your paint. Besides that try to enjoy alternate views other than your ride.
+1 I'd worry more about the gulls then the sand. Unless you're getting a strong breeze the sand generally stays put. (Unless you're at Laguna Seca)

Old 06-25-2014, 05:33 AM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by FLA996TT
I would say no problem, just be very careful cleaning the sand off, and make sure you clean the air filter each and every time as well as the cabin filter.
Ahh yes, the filters, thank you! I hadn't consider that.

Originally Posted by buzzm
unless by some miracle you manage to keep every grain of sand from getting on the cover and/or car, but as you are so close to the beach that will be almost impossible...
Very good point. I'll keep the dorky cover home and not embarrass my family. I think I could squeeze a travel size wash solution and shammy in my my shoe bag.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:59 AM
Put up with the dirty car syndrome for the two weeks as others said... and mf towel in case some seagulls poop on your ride as you don't want that baking into your paint. Besides that try to enjoy alternate views other than your ride.
Dirty car syndrome? I know it's a 10 yr old car but it's my pride and joy. I was worried about not just paint, but grit in the canvas, grinding at the wheels... But sounds like just minor upkeep. I'll def bring a mf towel.

Funny you brought up birds. Went out to dinner nicely polished and came back to find a 1.5ft streak of crap on the rearside. Of course once you start washing one panel, you can't stop and have to do the whole car and towel dry at 8pm... in a dress. I don't even want to think what harm seagulls can do!

Originally Posted by RDykmans
+1 I'd worry more about the gulls then the sand. Unless you're getting a strong breeze the sand generally stays put. (Unless you're at Laguna Seca)
Yes, there's sand drift since most homes are 1-2 stories. In the wintertime, snow drift was as high as 4ft deep (that was a record).

Old 06-25-2014, 09:41 AM
danielg is on a distinguished road
+1 Agreed

Old 06-25-2014, 11:22 AM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
+1Agreed, I live at the beach and 2 weeks or so ain't gonna hurt it. The poop will though.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:26 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
It's a car. It will be fine outside for quite a while longer than two weeks. Relax and go swimming.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:05 PM
amstang66 is on a distinguished road
at the end of the day its a car, enjoy the beach and family, You can hose off the car every once in awhile..

Old 06-27-2014, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by bernard.barbour
+1Agreed, I live at the beach and 2 weeks or so ain't gonna hurt it. The poop will though.
Belize! I love it.
Agreed on the poop. The bigger the birds, the bigger the....

Old 06-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Okay, okay, heard loud and clear. I'll relax... guess I do need a vaca.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:08 PM
996_North is on a distinguished road
These guys don't care about a little sand.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	392690  
Old 06-29-2014, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by 996_North
These guys don't care about a little sand.
Photoshopped? If true,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Do sand and Pcar mix?