996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 main seal leaking

Old 06-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Ednorton57 is on a distinguished road
996 main seal leaking

I have 2001 cab with 80 k, porsche replaced the motor with 20 k on the clock. My rear main seal is leaking and was wondering if I should have the ims changedfor good measure, my mechanic said he would measure for play.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ed

Old 06-26-2014, 09:23 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
You've got to do what makes you feel better. I wouldn't since less than 1% of cars have an issue - regardless what internet scare mongers say/think. However, if you're going to be in there, and have the money, and it makes you sleep better at night - go for it. I would probably only consider it if I was already in there and was concerned. If it has been driven properly (not a garage queen) and maintenance done regularly/properly then it's statistically fine. BUT you have to sleep at night.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:30 PM
Ednorton57 is on a distinguished road
ThanksWhen porsche replaced the motor I assumed it was an upgraded ims
Ed

Old 06-26-2014, 10:18 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
I would replace the intermediate shaft seal while you're in there...

Old 06-26-2014, 11:03 PM
Flyfalcons is on a distinguished road
I had my IMS bearing replaced when I took my car in for the RMS about a month ago. It's only a few more hours of labor plus the cost of the bearing itself. Also had the oil separator done, as it seems they tend to go out over time as well (mine's a '00 with 108K on the clock).

Old 06-27-2014, 07:24 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ednorton57
ThanksWhen porsche replaced the motor I assumed it was an upgraded ims
Ed
I would look for the work order or see if you got the newer motor with the unserviceable larger IMS. You might be wasting $ and time if you buy a retrofit kit only to find that you can't use it.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:57 AM
Fozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of lightFozzybear is a glorious beacon of light
+1 for apline003

Assuming you *can* change the IMS I probably would. Most of the cost is the labor to drop and replace the tranny - which you will need to do to fix the RMS leak anyway. The actual IMS retrofit is not all that expensive. The IMS solution is considerably pricier - but does promise a permanent solution (The IMS retrofit is rated for 50K miles)

Old 06-27-2014, 10:15 AM
gcono1 is on a distinguished road
IMS Fix

I had my RMS seal replaced in January of 2014....this was the second RMS since new...car has about 87K miles .....While in there I had the IMS bearing upgraded to the L and N Engineering piece even thought my factory IMS appeared OK at the time. My view is that if you anticipate long term ownership ..do it. If not have it inspected and if OK , re- install it.

And as one of the previous responses stated, it's important to remember that only about 1% of these car have had IMS issues....But you know how the web is in that most of the time all you see are the complaints and issues. It's rare to see someone post that their car has been perfect no matter what the brand or model. Properly cared for these cars are good for 200K and possibly beyond.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:32 PM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
I did the complete job 3 yrs ago. And the RMS started leaking a month ago. Just a drop or two every night.

Any ideas when it should be replaced for $12-1400? Oil is much cheaper

Old 06-27-2014, 08:01 PM
gcono1 is on a distinguished road
RMS Leak

It may or not may be the RMS.....some very small leaks can be caused by a "case Leak" ....e.g. where the two engine case halves mate..not a big deal but should be watched ....if it's as small as you say I would just monitor it.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:29 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JB Lifeguard
I did the complete job 3 yrs ago. And the RMS started leaking a month ago. Just a drop or two every night. Any ideas when it should be replaced for $12-1400? Oil is much cheaper
That "rule of thumb" would be the discretion of the owner. I wouldn't have any of my cars leak a drop a month, let alone per night. I would also be upset if, after a RMS replacement, it began leaking again within 50,000 miles . I would take it in and have the dealership look at their work. Assuming you had it done at a Porsche dealership.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:22 AM
JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !JB Lifeguard Is a GOD !
No i did not have it done at a dealer. THe manager at the time, a good guy, said the dealership would not install a non PCNA part, ie. the LN bearing.

so i went to a good independent shop who gave me a 1 yr guarantee.

JB

Old 06-28-2014, 09:35 AM
Flyfalcons is on a distinguished road
That's surprising to hear; my local dealership was happy to quote me for an LN bearing install. The mechanic made it sound like that upgrade was a fairly common procedure that they did there.

Old 06-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by JB Lifeguard
No i did not have it done at a dealer. THe manager at the time, a good guy, said the dealership would not install a non PCNA part, ie. the LN bearing.
I've never seen one that wouldn't. The RMS should obviously last a lot more than 3 years. Way more.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:32 AM
that was 3 years ago, maybe policy has changes now that the cars are 10+ years old.

JB