996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Help from Cab owners.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:06 AM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Help from Cab owners.

Have any cab owners had to go via the 'emergency opening/closing procedure' of their soft top? Mine when I was closing the top to leave the car didn't get to the final stage of putting up the windows therefore not completing the cycle. Now when I try to open it again, the top doesn't move and the first procedure of that action being to lower the windows, does not take place. I have read the 996 Essential companion book plus the owners manual and both say, "after an emergency procedure has taken place, the toggle switch or the key in the door way of activating the top should not be used. I did not go via the emergency route (as yet). I did however go the other method of opening and closing the hook part and still I get a red light flashing and I hear two soft clicks coming from the drivers side to the rear of the car. If any of you have gone through the emergency route, what was the procedure afterwards. Did you have to take your car to have the top open/close procedure calibrated in some way via a Porsche garage or indy? Not that it should make any difference, I have the 99 model. My hand brake is fully on as require and the engine lid is closed and indicates they are both engaged from the red dash lights. Any help would be well appreciated. The front hook is fully intct with the plastic part in place. I would like to get the top in the 'service' position without going through the emergency procedure part. i am stumped. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:05 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Nope. I've seen the key in the driver's door work even when the e-brake isn't activating the micro-switch. Sounds like a trip,to the dealer.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:29 AM
Originally Posted by denversteve
Nope. I've seen the key in the driver's door work even when the e-brake isn't activating the micro-switch. Sounds like a trip,to the dealer.
Thanks Steve I am thinking strongly about going that way. I have had problems every year with this top but until now have solved them all. This time it has me beat as I can't even get the top into 'service position' to inspect more without resorting to the 'emergency procedure'. That I really don't want to do as I would have to have the top recalibrated at Porsche anyway. So I think the best route would be to go that way in the first place without worrying my head any more with this newest problem. Thanks anyway.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:42 PM
OK you guys..... I solved the problem and would you believe it was so simple. The two torx screws that hold the light cluster and hook receiver were not tight enough (which I didnt realize until I came to lossen them ) and consequently the whole thing moved a smidges as the hook was setting itself thereby missing to pull/push on the micro switch which is inside that cluster. I had already dropped the hook assembly of the roof itself and found 3 micro switches in there and I could hear all 3 clicking away merrily so I left that part hanging (out of shot). Now I concentrated on the receiver micro switch and could hear that clicking. I held it by my finger, and low and behold the top started to go back. BINGO. I put things back together making sure to tighten all torx screws properly and the top is functioning brilliantly again. No need for the emergency operation or re calibration of the top. And more importantly, no need to visit the Porsche garage. Thanks you guys and check out the photos.