996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 C4S Purchase Help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 12:38 PM
hernandezja is on a distinguished road
996 C4S Purchase Help!!

Hey All,

First all been reading all the threads and been doing my research for about 6 months to prepare me to find that right 911 4s. Ive previously owned several s2k, 350z and 370z and now stepping my game up to 4s. Here's where I need owner expertise and input.

I found 03 C4S in CA after months of searching and wanna get input. It is from porsche dealer, has 60K miles...was a trade in from someone who upgraded. They have carfax that shows a pretty good history of small things like key replacement, bezel fix, brakes, oil, headlight switch etc. I requested detailed report from dealer because carfax showed they did service for last couple years. Their detailed report shows they removed trans and replaced clutch and flywheel...but that was the only thing serious...didnt mention IMS RMS...I also was shown the DME that shows Ignintion Range 1 at 1220 and nothing for Range 2 and beyond.

I test drove and sounded good, shifted good, and overal inside and out looks like the 2 previous owners took good care.

Main concern is that I want to get my own PPI but in that area not to many options, and being it from a dealer and not private party its hard for me to have them lend me the car to do it lol.

At this point they provided pretty much everything they did and also say if I want to do another PPI they have no problem doing and going over it again.

Car is priced really fair and thinking of pulling the trigger and bringing back home to have looked at to possibly replace IMS and RMS just in case.

Any thoughts on what I should do, or anything I could look for?

FYI Car price is 30k and overal is pretty clean.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:45 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
Everything sounds very good. I would get a solid PPI done and buy the car if everything checks out.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:01 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Sounds like a good deal, ask for an independent PPI and if it turns out you're gold.

Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 PM
porschemama will become famous soon enoughporschemama will become famous soon enough
I'd feel better if dealer throws in an extended warranty even through outfits like continental or fidelity. Priced out these warranties run $2,500+. Gave me a piece of mind with mine. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2014, 04:41 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
I

Originally Posted by porschemama
I'd feel better if dealer throws in an extended warranty even through outfits like continental or fidelity. Priced out these warranties run $2,500+. Gave me a piece of mind with mine. Good luck!
X2. Either get them to agree to a warranty or let them have you do independent PPI.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:44 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
Agreed with all of the above. Good luck.

Old 08-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys actually been trying to negotiate price gonna get ppi done and if all well going to get this weekend...will post pics after appreciate the feedback

Old 08-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Hey All thanks for the help....good news I purchased the C4S afterall!!! got all service records, manuals, and was a trade in from OG owner...car drives and handles great...thanks for the input.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:40 PM
bernard.barbour will become famous soon enoughbernard.barbour will become famous soon enough
You know the adage? Post pics or it didn't happen, lol. Congrats

Old 09-01-2014, 01:55 PM
More pics coming soon

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	911.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	400584  
Old 09-02-2014, 05:21 PM
jhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of lightjhthornley is a glorious beacon of light
the @$$ on that is sOOOO sexy. congrats. Hope it works out for you

Old 09-03-2014, 08:10 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by hernandezja
More pics coming soon
Those hips! Congratulations and welcome to the 6. Look forward to seeing a few more pictures after you get done driving

Old 09-03-2014, 08:41 AM
FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !FLA996TT Is a GOD !
Congrats! Welcome to the forum and C4S ownership.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:05 PM
ic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really niceic3scrap3r is just really nice
Congrats! Can't wait to see your "first impressions" as a new 911 owner along with plenty of pics of course!

Be sure to let us know how long it takes you to stop grinning when you see it parked as you walk up to it. I still do...

Old 09-04-2014, 05:45 AM
Coloradocurt is on a distinguished road
Congrats on the purchase.
Lots of great additional info on both the IMS and RMS on the RennTech and Rennlist sites. Inasmuch as when I got my 996 C4S it already had a shot clutch, when I got in there it had oil leakage behind the flywheel. So I replaced the RMS and did the IMS retrofit (although my IMS bearing was completely healthy).
I would suggest that if you have no oil leakage from the engine-tranny interface, you might want to do an oil change and (1) drop the oil pan to inspect for any early debris signs of a developing IMS problem, plus (2) dismembering the oil filter element to closely inspect for the same. The vast majority of these engines never experience an IMS problem, and those that have survived this long likely never will if general precautions are taken. One such precaution would be to not let your oil level drop any more than a half quart below full.
The factory GT3 short shifter is a great upgrade, and replacing the clutch pedal "helper" spring does wonders to improve the feel of the engagement.
Also, you might want to check to see how much debris may have accumulated blocking the radiators (and clean them out).

Last edited by Coloradocurt; 09-04-2014 at 06:14 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 C4S Purchase Help!!