996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Clutch semi slipping issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 12:47 PM
dbTarga996 is on a distinguished road
Clutch semi slipping issue

So I researched plenty recently since this issue had come about but couldnt find anything pointing to the same issue I'm having.

Few months ago, had a change in clutch pedal feel after hearing a pop from my pedal assembly (clutch pedal spring). Clutch got hard and the engagement point was more noticeable, so I didnt think anything of it.

Fast forward to recently, I've started commuting in traffic again and my clutch has gotten super light along with a change in first gear. When getting into gear from a stop, I blip my rpm's up, then they drop as I let the clutch in and the car sorta bogs and the rpms go back up when it finally grabs. This is the only difference I've noticed , no change in higher gears with rpms when getting on the throttle, shifts are still strong.

Also when I depress the clutch pedal, I noticed a pretty loud squeaking that seems to be coming from the front of the car.

Any idea's ? safe to say its time to change my clutch or is there another issue.

Old 09-13-2014, 10:25 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dbTarga996
So I researched plenty recently since this issue had come about but couldnt find anything pointing to the same issue I'm having.

Few months ago, had a change in clutch pedal feel after hearing a pop from my pedal assembly (clutch pedal spring). Clutch got hard and the engagement point was more noticeable, so I didnt think anything of it.

Fast forward to recently, I've started commuting in traffic again and my clutch has gotten super light along with a change in first gear. When getting into gear from a stop, I blip my rpm's up, then they drop as I let the clutch in and the car sorta bogs and the rpms go back up when it finally grabs. This is the only difference I've noticed , no change in higher gears with rpms when getting on the throttle, shifts are still strong.

Also when I depress the clutch pedal, I noticed a pretty loud squeaking that seems to be coming from the front of the car.

Any idea's ? safe to say its time to change my clutch or is there another issue.
WAG is the pop was the clutch helper spring breaking.

The other symptoms could be due to a number of things.

When was the last time you had the brake and *clutch* fluid flushed/bled?

This should be done every 2 years regardless of mileage. While I have never noticed a change in braking behavior after having this service done the last time it was done for my Boxster the clutch action was noticeably better and some shifting issues were gone.

If the fluid service is due (or overdue) I'd have this done and then during the road test the tech can advise you if he thinks there is still something going on that warrants further investigation.

Oh, and at this time the tech can check the clutch helper spring and attend to that if it needs it.

You want to bring the hardware back up to the factory stock condition.

Bear in mind this further investigation can have the tranny dropped to expose the clutch hardware, and most likely will unless the tech spots something with the clutch pedal hardware -- beyond perhaps the clutch helper spring -- or external clutch linkage that accounts for the behavior you report.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Macster
WAG is the pop was the clutch helper spring breaking.

The other symptoms could be due to a number of things....
Got underneath the clutch pedal assembly , noticed when I depressed the pedal that the helper spring was not holding any tension. Took it out to find that the spring was broken and came out into 3 pieces which explains why this issue got worse recently. I havnt replaced the spring but everything is back to normal.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Hurdigurdiman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dbTarga996
Got underneath the clutch pedal assembly , noticed when I depressed the pedal that the helper spring was not holding any tension. Took it out to find that the spring was broken and came out into 3 pieces which explains why this issue got worse recently. I havnt replaced the spring but everything is back to normal.
You have NOT replaced the helper spring?? I think now you will have problems with your cruise control. Seems like a daft statement but I think you may have to pull the clutch pedal up with your toe each time after you use it. Not sure but be aware there is a small switch down there somewhere and if this is activated it will cancel out your cruise control. In other words, if the cruise control does not work properly. Buy another helper spring and put it back.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:34 PM
RRocket is on a distinguished road
^^I had no issue with the cruise when I took out my helper spring. You can actually pull out the plunger for the cruise control switch a few notches if you do have an issue.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Hurdigurdiman
You have NOT replaced the helper spring?? I think now you will have problems with your cruise control. Seems like a daft statement but I think you may have to pull the clutch pedal up with your toe each time after you use it. Not sure but be aware there is a small switch down there somewhere and if this is activated it will cancel out your cruise control. In other words, if the cruise control does not work properly. Buy another helper spring and put it back.
Cruise control is never used, I tend not to go on long enough road trips in this car were I need it. Eventually I will put a new spring in but for right now, it has solved my issue