996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 to 997 Front End Conversion Headlamp Wiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 04:36 PM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gurukid
but when ordering fiberglass components, its all about the company.. Obviously duraflex sells lower quality (in regards to fitment, and material) than almost every other company. My 240 track car has duraflex bumpers, it's stiffer (less plastic more fiberglass), but it actually fit properly - which is rare. It's all about the mold and mixture. I would buy from PD any day of the week, in fact, I'm considering it for my 997 if I don't go the 997.2 facelift route.

Alpine, I've been following you for years, START THE CONVERSION PROJECT hahah and good luck, can't wait to see the results.
+996

Many top tuners and OEM's use fiberglass.

As for projects...I'm afraid those timelines are determined by my three young ones and a house remodel that is taking way longer than it should. At least I was able to get the shed(aka stealth 3rd garage) done recently. However I NEED to do something to the car this summer as I'm getting modification withdrawal symptoms.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:54 PM
Porsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enoughPorsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enough
I'm in the middle of doing the 997 conversion right now. Ill save this post for when I do the headlights. What company did you get your kit from?

Old 05-15-2015, 02:55 PM
mightyb28 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Porsche_Shiftin04
I'm in the middle of doing the 997 conversion right now. Ill save this post for when I do the headlights. What company did you get your kit from?
If you mean, did i purchase a steel 996 to 997 body conversion kit from Wicked Motorsport or the Fiberglass 996 to 997 from Precision Porsche than no.

These are all OEM steel parts from the local Porsche dealer.
My xenon headlamps i got from ebay.
My 997 GT2 body kit is from Wicked.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Porsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enoughPorsche_Shiftin04 will become famous soon enough
I am in the middle of hooking up my headlights for my 997 conversion. I got all the lights running and working BUT when I turn my headlights on the blinkers up front no longer work.

Did you wire your side marker into your blinker wire? I'm almost wondering if by me doing this it has cause the blinker to be a constant circuit once the headlights are on.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by Porsche_Shiftin04
I am in the middle of hooking up my headlights for my 997 conversion. I got all the lights running and working BUT when I turn my headlights on the blinkers up front no longer work.

Did you wire your side marker into your blinker wire? I'm almost wondering if by me doing this it has cause the blinker to be a constant circuit once the headlights are on.
Well I had an electrical engineer do mine. We had to add two fuses to the setup. For the headlamps, turn signals and running lights.

Hopefully these diagrams will help you out.

Old 06-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the reply and looking to help me out. The fuses I ran for the bumper lights and stuff. That's to give the power to the bumper lights. I am thinking my mistake was running my running light to my blinker. I think because that light is a constant power when the headlights are on is my issue. Thanks for those diagrams, I actually created a spread sheet that gives the 996 wire to the 997 pinout. Once I get this blinker situation fixed I'm going to create a guide for that as well.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:13 PM
I was correct, once I removed the sidemarker wire from the blinker wire everything worked perfect. I really appreciate your response and willingness to help.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Atrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud ofAtrox has much to be proud of
So you originally started with a 996 turbo? Trying to keep up here.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:35 AM
Glad you got it figured out.
The top diagram is a 996 to 997 wiring.

Yes I purchased a 996 with the intent on the conversion. It was a steal of a price and because I love projects I did a 996 TT to 997 GT2 body conversion. The only original piece here is the roof.
Next project is interior, that I will do in time.

As you I thought fiberglass for the conversion and the body shop shunned. So I purchased the aluminum and steel body panels. Well worth every penny. Its funny how many people stare down the car when i drive buy and all the pictures taken. But its more the fact that its clean, performs, and is solid.
Well except my shocks are leaking.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:37 AM
cadamson is on a distinguished road
Wow, your conversion is the best looking I've seen! So, did you use the same concept/technique on the rear fenders/quarter panels as you did on the front? The air intakes on the side look awesome, so just wondering how you achieved that.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:28 AM
alpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond reputealpine003 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cadamson
Wow, your conversion is the best looking I've seen! So, did you use the same concept/technique on the rear fenders/quarter panels as you did on the front? The air intakes on the side look awesome, so just wondering how you achieved that.
OP started off with 996 turbo and didn't do anything to his rear quarters. He just used 997.2 style rear bumper and side scoops. But I guess he fooled you so it must be a good conversion.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:01 AM
Originally Posted by alpine003
OP started off with 996 turbo and didn't do anything to his rear quarters. He just used 997.2 style rear bumper and side scoops. But I guess he fooled you so it must be a good conversion.
No fooling. The rear bumper/GT2 was designed to fit the 996 rear. The scoopes were easy. Cut in and fitted.

We decided to not do the rear quarter panels due to time as this project was done on the side and took nine months. So we all wanted it to be done. Will I do the rear quarters... Not sure at this time. I have the interior to do at this time.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:42 AM
cadamson is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info! Awesome work, I think I'm going to start searching some dismantlers for parts.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by cadamson
Thanks for the info! Awesome work, I think I'm going to start searching some dismantlers for parts.
I would look away from LA Dismantlers. They price gauge.

Get everything used to save $$$$.

There are enough Porsche salvage yards that you can get what you need.

Its a fast project with the right shop and only real work is the fenders and their bracketing and the rewiring of the headlamps.an OEM turbo front bumper will be a direct fit.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by mightyb28
No fooling. The rear bumper/GT2 was designed to fit the 996 rear.

I know you're not trying to fool anyone as it is what it is. I was just messing with the poster. Had he looked closer, he would've noticed the 996 taillights instead of the 997.1 or 997.2 ones which would've been a tell tale sign that you had the original rear quarters.

Cadamson, I recommend stopping by Porsche body shops and have them save any damaged 997,996 front fenders as you'll only be using a portion from each set. This could save you quite a bit if you get lucky.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 996 to 997 Front End Conversion Headlamp Wiring