996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

NAVI & DVD player installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 10:35 PM
syaero is on a distinguished road
Talking

Originally posted by jungzilla
really nice, but where are you gonna store the CD's? Just kidding great job!
With MP3/WMA capability, I can compile 6-8 CDs into a single CD. No need for CD storage.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:28 AM
desert996 is on a distinguished road
Nice. Very clean install.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:03 AM
spr
spr is on a distinguished road
did you have nav before then? It would be double din that way. If you did not previously have nav then there is a bar between the two din spaces that would have to be cut out.

Old 12-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Porsche Chick
RobynC will become famous soon enoughRobynC will become famous soon enough
Beatuiful install, very clean....!

Old 12-07-2005, 07:42 PM
CABRIO C4 is on a distinguished road
Nice, Custom Car Alarm did a great job on the install.

Old 12-08-2005, 01:20 AM
simon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to beholdsimon is a splendid one to behold
I did the same thing. I also added the XM and NavTraffic to mine. You need the software update from Pioneer for the NavTraffic to work properly.

Nice little unit.

I moved my A/C to the top slot of the lower console and left the space on the bottom slot for holding my cellphone.

The only complaint with the D1 is that you cannot operate the nav functions while you're moving.
You must be stationary to access routes, local points of interest etc.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:18 AM
spr
there is a mod to change that.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by spr
there is a mod to change that.
That's right, there's a mod to change that. Most Nav unit prevents access to the Nav functions while the car is in motion (for safety reasons). On my Alpine Nav, I had an electronic unit installed that bypasses the lock down. On the D1 unit, the change has to be done on the circuit board in the unit -- pretty tricky. Once it's done, you'll have full access to the Nav function as well as watching DVD while in motion. Just make sure you'll be doing the driving and not watching DVD.

Old 12-09-2005, 08:03 AM
spr
I was reading about it. all you do is jump two contact points by adding some solder, pretty easy-

JUST KNOW that the D1 doesn't not play DVD movies only Nav discs. Yes it is the biggest bummer, but obviously he knew it as he has the spearate dvd player

Old 12-22-2005, 06:45 PM
rootkid is on a distinguished road
Is there a one-touch way to mute the audio (both CD/radio and Nav)? I read that the only way to do this was to hold the volume-down button and it's one of the main reasons I'm turned off by this unit.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:44 PM
Franky is on a distinguished road
I'm a really big fan of mods done in a factory way. Your set-up looks amazing! How do you like pioneer nav system, since you have had a couple weeks with it? BTW, did you have to buy any parts from the dealer, or did you make do w/ what you had to complete the install?

Old 12-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by rootkid
Is there a one-touch way to mute the audio (both CD/radio and Nav)? I read that the only way to do this was to hold the volume-down button and it's one of the main reasons I'm turned off by this unit.
I'm not sure about that as I've not tried it. My guess is that you can't since the Nav volume and the audio volumn are independent. I have to test it and report back.

Old 12-22-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Franky
I'm a really big fan of mods done in a factory way. Your set-up looks amazing! How do you like pioneer nav system, since you have had a couple weeks with it? BTW, did you have to buy any parts from the dealer, or did you make do w/ what you had to complete the install?
Thanks for the compliment, Franky!

IMO, the Pioneer nav system is really great. I like it a lot. I also have an Alpine system in my Toyota. The Pioneer is way better in comparison to the Alpine nav in terms of accuracy. My Alpine constantly jumps off track and I'd have to reset it every couple of weeks. A pain in the neck! I believe it's a software issue with the Alpine but I could not get them to acknowledge the problem or fix it.

As for the parts, the only piece I obtained from the dealer is the frame/face plate for the climate controll that goes into the center console. The shop did have to fabricate a plate to cover the larger opening of the double DIN. They did an awesome job!

Last edited by syaero; 12-22-2005 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:23 AM
evo_333 will become famous soon enoughevo_333 will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by syaero
On the D1 unit, the change has to be done on the circuit board in the unit -- pretty tricky. Once it's done, you'll have full access to the Nav function as well as watching DVD while in motion.
That's awesome. Again, the set-up looks amazing and OEM clean. After seeing this, I am starting my search for a D1 unit.

Can you provide any more details on how to bypass the dvd and nav function so you have full access to everything while moving? Can any decent audio shop do it or is it not too commonly known?