996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Superchargers - EVO vs TPC - A direct comparison

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 05:29 PM
karlooz is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by evo_333
what are the warranties like for both companies (TPC vs. EVO)?
funny on EVOs site, the warranty is 1 year waranty on parts but on VF engineering's site it's unlimited miles, limited 3 year product warranty. of course, this only pertains to the parts they sell, not the engine.

no warranty info on TPC site.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:35 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Ruf, two yr warranty on everything, including your engine. That's why it's 20k.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:36 PM
karlooz is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by C4S Surgeon
Ruf, two yr warranty on everything, including your engine. That's why it's 20k.
2 year - 10K insurance policy. you almost hope the engine does grenade

Old 12-16-2005, 10:20 PM
C4S ESQ is on a distinguished road
Cool Go EVO

I drove a 3.4 EVO back to back with a TPC 3.6. I was at Sebring and my buddy has a 99 C2 with about 50k and several Sebrings on it. His only other speed mod is a Fabspeed exhaust. I have driven this car several times when we trade to check mods.

I was lucky to have the opportunity to drive the TPC demo C4S out of south Florida (which had about 18k on the clock) and my bud's C2 EVO up and down the access roads to Sebring. These drives were back to back. Of note, both cars had H&R springs and B&M ssk.

The 1st thing that struck me in the TPC car was the NOISE. Even at idle, it was LOUD. Not from the exhaust, but from the supercharger howling. I have cat bypass pipes which are loud and can even resonate, and I thought this supercharger was LOUD and not in a good way. But if you want to be king of the stoplights, this is your kit. The car drove me into the back off the seat and pulled like a vette of the line. The raw power off idle was awesome. It did pull hard all the way up, but the top end did not pull nearly as hard as off the line. But the noise was unreal. No radio could overcome this kit (in my car I like to split time between the mechanical symphony and the radio).

The EVO is the better finished product in every way. As others have said, the whir is barely there and the sound is pleasant. I think that is also a product of where the supercharges sit (in the EVO its almost against the taillights while the TPC sits on top of the engine directly behind the passenger side rear seat). Now the 3.4 EVO can't even think of running with the TPC 3.6, but it does pull nice in a completely different way. The EVO 3.4 just gains speed with rpms very nicely when the boost rolls on, but you never get the kick or scarey/fun fast feel of the TPC. Of note, I've driven an EVO 3.6 and it does start to give you that fun fast feeling as you start to wind it out in 3rd...while closing in on traffic. The top end of both the EVO cars just seemed to pull harder, which seems better suited to our cars.

Conclusion: The TPC is more fun down low while the EVO is a scream (literally) up top. I love them both, but know I could'nt live with the TPC noise. I also like to track the car and believe the EVO would be more useable at the track as you could probably get on the EVO harder while exiting a turn. And its gotta be fun winding the EVO out down the long starights.

I was not sold on either kit before this test. But now I know its EVO for me. Due to the nature of the EVO kit, I can only imagine that a lightweight flywheel would do this kit wonders by letting you rev up to the fun range that much quicker and reduce some of the TPC advanatge.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:56 PM
kc911 is on a distinguished road
Great posts!
k

Old 12-17-2005, 09:24 AM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Great posts, very interesting about that Roots SC noise issue, I remember that from the old days.

Old 12-17-2005, 11:06 AM
Captain Tal will become famous soon enough
Great post C4S ESQ. I agree completely. TheTPC kit is fast down low but the noise is very un-Porsche like. Also, unlike the Evo kit, the TPC torque curve is very dissimilar to the Porsche which MIGHT lead to problems down the road.

Last edited by Captain Tal; 12-17-2005 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:21 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Great stuff guys... Kem, we do the SC kits so next time one comes in, I'll let you know so you can check it out in person.

C4S Esq, you _have_ to do a light weight flywheel. When you see how heavy the stocker is you'll understand just why it'll rev so much freer and drop quicker. Makes a big difference to the cars we've done _with_ vs _without.

Old 12-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Brad Roberts is an unknown quantity at this point
Hayden@WEVO and I weighed a 996 clutch setup one day complete. IF.. IF I recall correctly, it was 38+ pounds. I asked him to make us a new flywheel at that point.

B

Old 12-18-2005, 03:07 AM
TurboAWD is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by sharkster
C4S Esq, you _have_ to do a light weight flywheel. When you see how heavy the stocker is you'll understand just why it'll rev so much freer and drop quicker. Makes a big difference to the cars we've done _with_ vs _without.
Is there one for the 997S?

Old 12-18-2005, 09:52 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally posted by TurboAWD
Is there one for the 997S?
Yes and yes

Old 12-19-2005, 01:14 AM
kilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to beholdkilrgt is a splendid one to behold
This post couldnt have come at a better time. I am at a cross road with my car, I am sure you know it -To keep or not keep the car. So to make the car more interesting I am thinking about doing a SC and some cams . I was already leaning towards the EVO because I know it works well and there is more out there.I have heard the TPC makes great power, but truth be told it looks terrible and it to me at least I would think they havent put the care into it as EVO has.Price is about the same and both void the warranty. I think the $$ they charge for the kits is total bull****. So many blowers out there for alot less money.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:34 PM
C4S ESQ is on a distinguished road
I picked my stock flywheel off the ground during a RMS replacement. Something that heavy belongs in a gym. It'll be Evo Stage 2 flywheel/clutch when my time comes, unless anyone has a better recomendation...

Originally posted by sharkster

C4S Esq, you _have_ to do a light weight flywheel. When you see how heavy the stocker is you'll understand just why it'll rev so much freer and drop quicker. Makes a big difference to the cars we've done _with_ vs _without. [/B]

Old 12-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Captain Tal will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by kilrgt
This post couldnt have come at a better time. I am at a cross road with my car, I am sure you know it -To keep or not keep the car. So to make the car more interesting I am thinking about doing a SC and some cams . I was already leaning towards the EVO because I know it works well and there is more out there.I have heard the TPC makes great power, but truth be told it looks terrible and it to me at least I would think they havent put the care into it as EVO has.Price is about the same and both void the warranty. I think the $$ they charge for the kits is total bull****. So many blowers out there for alot less money.
I am just going to address this part.
"Price is about the same and both void the warranty. I think the $$ they charge for the kits is total bull****. So many blowers out there for alot less money."

These kits are a complete system, not just a blower and some chip tuning. Fuel injectors, custom hose kits, radiators, water pump, intercooler, air filter and on and on. Alot of the ricer kits for which you must be comparing do not include most of these components and certainly not the quality parts included. There are also only a limited number of these kits sold each year. This is not like building a kt for a Honda where there are 100,000 cars in the market. The Porshce marque is much more elite and as a result, there is insufficent market size (read volume) to warrant low costs. So it is what it is.

As for warranty. I have never heard of any Evo Supercharger customer who has been denied complete customer satisfaction. Todd (Evo) goes out of his way to make it work even when it is likely not his fault. Case in point. My dealer recently informed me the left bank of my catalytic converter was bad after 19,000 miles. They denied coverage (Robert Larson) because of the supercharger. Even though they admitted that the cats fail ocassionaly (bad welds) they wouldnt cover it. I called Todd to ask if he had ever heard of a cat failing because of a SC. He laughed and said "Never, but don't worry, I'll send you a new one."

Wow, I wasn't even asking for one he just offered it up. When people ask me about warranty, I just say, Evolution Motorsports stands behind what it sells. That is also why I think its worth every penny of 10 grand.

Old 12-22-2005, 02:50 PM
P1 911
Kevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of lightKevin D is a glorious beacon of light
If it were a 3.6L motor vs. 3.6 there would be no comparison in acceleration. TPC the *clear* winner by a sign. margin. The variocam plus technology combined with the bigger displacment makes for a very significant different on supercharged applications in particular. So if the non- variocam PLUS smaller motor was quicker down low and even the rest of the way....the 3.6 would destroy the EVO down low (like stock vs. supercharged type differences we're talking about here) and then just pull away up top too.
I wouldn't comment on the sounds and sights** Thats not important to me

---Kevin