996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Front Blinker Not Working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 06:13 PM
uknowstu is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Front Blinker Not Working

2003 C4S
I have a problem with my left blinker in that when I hit the lever it flashes quickly. I did notice that the front bulb does not blink, so I pulled it out, connected a wire, and tested it out on a 12v battery. The light lit up. So just to be sure, I switched the left and right front blinker bulbs from the housing, and the right blinker still works, and the left blinker still does not work. So not the bulb. Next I bought a new flasher for slot three (191) and replaced the flasher. Still not working. I did check fuse "B6" and it looked fine; however, maybe I checked the wrong fuse. Any thoughts on what else I can replace without replacing the entire light fixture (headlight assembly)?
As a side note, (prior to the issue of no blinker) I was making a right turn and had to make another immediate right turn, so I held the blinker lever up, and through the process broke the right turn blinker cam. This meant that the right blinker would not stay on automatically, but the left would. Before I could replace the $300 part (basically the four lever switch box on the steering column) is when the left blinker quit working. After replacing the switch box, the blinker still does not work (although the lever does stay in the on position automatically ).
Thanks for your help!

Old 08-17-2016, 08:07 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by uknowstu
2003 C4S
I have a problem with my left blinker in that when I hit the lever it flashes quickly. I did notice that the front bulb does not blink, so I pulled it out, connected a wire, and tested it out on a 12v battery. The light lit up. So just to be sure, I switched the left and right front blinker bulbs from the housing, and the right blinker still works, and the left blinker still does not work. So not the bulb. Next I bought a new flasher for slot three (191) and replaced the flasher. Still not working. I did check fuse "B6" and it looked fine; however, maybe I checked the wrong fuse. Any thoughts on what else I can replace without replacing the entire light fixture (headlight assembly)?
As a side note, (prior to the issue of no blinker) I was making a right turn and had to make another immediate right turn, so I held the blinker lever up, and through the process broke the right turn blinker cam. This meant that the right blinker would not stay on automatically, but the left would. Before I could replace the $300 part (basically the four lever switch box on the steering column) is when the left blinker quit working. After replacing the switch box, the blinker still does not work (although the lever does stay in the on position automatically ).
Thanks for your help!
I just went through this - after each of these two steps bulb worked for a short period -

1) Replaced bulb
2) Replaced bulb socket

Usually stopped working after driving 40 to 50 miles.

After many attempts to troubleshoot I think I finally figured it out - the locking lever that holds the headlamp to the tray was not fully locking the light in and therefore the pins at the rear of the assembly were not making correct contact. Here's one way to check - if you're still getting fast flash and no light put some pressure on the headlamp and push the headlamp assembly into the body, go back and try it again. If it works then it's the locking lever. Read the headlamp section of the owner's manual and you'll see that when re-installing the headlamp it says you should hear an audible locking noise. So far so good for me - hope you get it sorted.

Last edited by jhbrennan; 08-17-2016 at 08:10 PM.