996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

2004 failing smog after battery swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 12:07 PM
woodp is on a distinguished road
Well, the local dealer plugged my car in ... and about two hours later came back with word that both cats would need to be replaced ... and I was shown a quote for just under $6900 (Presumably before tax).

It'll take a couple days for parts to arrive.

Is it too early for a stiff drink?

Old 10-25-2016, 03:34 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Any chance you ran leaded gas? That's the only thing I can think of that would take out both cat sensors or the cats. What was his reasoning for having to replace both cats? Did they replace the sensors to make sure the problem wasn't just the sensors?...I'm afraid that after your stealer denied any knowledge of the necessity of a readiness reset after a battery swap, I wouldn't trust him...I sure wouldn't replace my cats unless I had a check engine light, which you have never stated...did you ever have a conversation with the service manager regarding a readiness reset?....find yourself another dealer...this one is trying to take advantage of you and seems dishonest

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 10-25-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:12 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by woodp
Well, the local dealer plugged my car in ... and about two hours later came back with word that both cats would need to be replaced ... and I was shown a quote for just under $6900 (Presumably before tax).

It'll take a couple days for parts to arrive.

Is it too early for a stiff drink?
Not too early for a stiff drink. It is too late. I would have required one after receiving the quote. That and CPR.

$6900 sounds a bit, well, high. More than a bit, actually.

I know factory converters are expensive. Last time I priced them for my 2002 Boxster they were around $1200/each. (I didn't buy new converters I resolved the issue of a bad converter another way.) But $6900? Damn, that's $3450/each. Does the price include both the warm up converter and the 2nd (and not monitored) converter after it?

Keep in mind the old converters have some scrap/salvage value from the catalyst metals they contain. Not sure what the value is but you can ask around at places that buy old converters and find out. It won't offset the $6900 by much but it should be enough to buy you a bottle or two of a very nice Scotch.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:55 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Please do not actually pay that price. Used set can easily be swapped in just fine and your set probably is not even bad if not throwing a code for efficiency issues.

There are some aftermarket DME programs that will NEVER set the rear O2 sensors ready. Did you ever install an aftermarket tune or buy the car used? I had to reflash a DME to get rear O2 ready on a previous car.

I would even be willing to buy your car as-is if you're really stressed...

Last edited by B8_RDC; 10-26-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2016, 12:11 PM
Esfoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Curious, can we attach a charger or 9V battery to the positive and negative cables when disconnecting the battery to preserve settings while replacing the battery? This is assuming the old one isn't completely dead. I had a 2010 Ford Taurus SHO that needed a battery and the tech attached something to the cigarette lighter and all my settings were preserved while he replaced the battery.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:11 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by B8_RDC
Please do not actually pay that price. Used set can easily be swapped in just fine and your set probably is not even bad if not throwing a code for efficiency issues.

There are some aftermarket DME programs that will NEVER set the rear O2 sensors ready. Did you ever install an aftermarket tune or buy the car used? I had to reflash a DME to get rear O2 ready on a previous car.

I would even be willing to buy your car as-is if you're really stressed...
In CA it is against the law to fit used converters.

As an alternative to OEM/factory supplied converters there are EPA/CARB approved "aftermarket" converters which are supposed to be less expensive than OEM but I do not know anything about these aftermarket converters.

Here is a link to a PDF listing the manufacturers and the make/model of vehicles for which converters are available:

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/afterm...xemptcat09.pdf

Old 10-28-2016, 12:15 PM
B8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond reputeB8_RDC has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Macster
In CA it is against the law to fit used converters.
I'm suggesting swap in the used ones to compare/diagnose to see if the sensors actually go to ready state with different set. I can see the dealer dropping in the new ones for $7k and ta da nothing changes. Next step new DME etc etc.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:40 PM
woodp is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Two weeks later, it passed!!!

Well, it took two weeks and about 300 miles of driving, but the cats look fine now! And the car *just* passed the smog test. A week or so from now my new registration sticker should come in the mail.

Thank you all for your inputs and suggestions, your patience with me, and of course, your experience. I almost ended up writing a $6900 (plus tax) check to my local Porsche dealer ... whom I now have very little confidence in. VERY LITTLE!

I'm still being transferred out of the country, and I still need to sell the Porsche, so as soon as the CA license sticker arrives, she'll be going back on the market!

Thanks again!

Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Shabooyah roll call!

Old 10-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
Glad you finally got the readiness reset...I would report your dealer and the service manager to Porsche and CARB...what they tried to do to you is criminal even if they are just ignorant, which I doubt since this is a common and well known problem ever since California started checking obdII during smog check...as previously stated some flashes that disable catalyst reset cause an even bigger problem as the dme will require a reflash to stock and then a readiness reset...keep the stealer from harming a fellow Porsche driver and report them to PMNA...714-546-6939

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 10-29-2016 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:32 PM
Perhaps just share the name of the dealership. I can think of only one GOOD one in the entire bay area despite there being a few.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:35 PM
JohnCA58 will become famous soon enough
Well, I believe he said he lived in El Dorado Hills and they happen to have a Porsche dealer in that town. so most likely that is the one without naming them.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:38 PM
OC CA is an unknown quantity at this point
Emissions Drive Cycle Porsche

Here is the Emmision Drive Cycle I used on my 911 after catalytic converter would not “reset” https://www.smogtips.com/OnlineForumQuestionDetails.cfm?Question_ID=2692&Qu estion=Porsche-911-Emission-Monitors-Not-Ready

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-18-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:40 AM
NikitaUCLA is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by B8_RDC
Perhaps just share the name of the dealership. I can think of only one GOOD one in the entire bay area despite there being a few.
N-I-E-L-L-O Porsche.

Old 06-24-2021, 12:52 AM
studiocrew is an unknown quantity at this point
IMPORTANT INFO for all 911 owner trying to get pass the smog test. I got this info as I was in Stuttgart, visiting the amazing Porsche factory and museum.If you disconnected or installed a new battery:

This is the oficial Porsche Smog reset procedures:

Start engine, idle cold for approx. 2 min, 10 secs.

Accelerate to 20-30 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 3 min, 15 secs.

Accelerate to 40-60 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 15 mins.

Decelerate and come to a stop. Idle and KEEP "in gear* for approx 5 mins.

​​​​​​​That's it...!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2004 failing smog after battery swap