996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Bettery to have a C4s cab or C2 cab w/o PSM?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 12:08 AM
meiwah98 is on a distinguished road
Bettery to have a C4s cab or C2 cab w/o PSM?

So I live in the San Francisco bay area; primarily using my '02 cab as a weekend driver. I rarely drive in the rain, and avoid driving my (or any) 996 hard if it does rain.

I LOVE the new C4s cab body style coming out. My question is will I actually feel (appreciate) the road hugging capabilities of the C4S vs. my C2 w/o PSM? I am talking about mostly freeway driving, minimal autocrossing. I occasionally enjoy driving the twisties along Highway 1, though, but only have the opportunity to drive this type of road rarely.

Worth trading my C2 cab for a C4S cab? Is it worth driving a 4 wheel drive car in primarily dry weather? Do I sacrifice anything by buying a C4S vs. keeping my C2, and is it worth spending the money on a new C4S cab?

Old 07-22-2003, 12:40 PM
AdamB is on a distinguished road
Well you are going to be taking a rather steep loss on the C2, especially as the resale prices are at a rather low point (Thank you recession). Additionally I personally don't feel as if you'll gain terribly much. I would say the transition from any model of the Carrera to a Turbo or a GT2/GT3 is perhaps worth it, but taking a loss for the C4S cab isn't necessarily worth it. Think it over for a little while, go back into the garage and take a look at your car, and hopefully the thought to go out and buy a new car will leave your head.

If not then I recommend test driving a C4S cab back to back with your car before you buy when they are eventually released.
I drove a C4S Coupe back to back with my C2 before purchasing, and even though I probably could have gotten a better price on the C4S Coupe I wanted the fun factor of RWD. There is an entirely, at least in my opinion, different feel to the C2 as compared to the C4S, and I felt like I would have the most fun in the C2. Also I felt like a change from AWD since I've had a number of AWD vehicles in the past. The C4S truly will feel a lot more glued at times, but I would have to say from personal experience that this is partially due to the difference between the feel of RWD and AWD, which does its best in many cases to muddle the water between the limit of grip and the complete loss of control.

Either way they are both great cars, but I would stick with what you have unless it time for you to buy a new car.

Old 07-22-2003, 12:43 PM
AdamB is on a distinguished road
Also as an additional aside, I love PSM in the rain, but it wouldn't be an option in a warm weather climate that would make me buy a new car.

Old 07-22-2003, 05:41 PM
NeverFastEnough is on a distinguished road
I have driven a C4 cab, a C2 and a C4S (I own one). I personally liked the coupe over the cab, as the coupe had less road noise and I think I am too tall (6'5") for a cab...I feel like my head sticks out too far(!!...Don't laugh). I liked the heavier feel of the C4 and so do the people I know who own C4's themselves. Others I know find the C4 is TOO heavy in the front and like the handling of a C2 better (and, no surprise, they own C2's).

What it comes down to is go for the car YOU like the best. Take them both for a test drive and get the car that you like better...either way the C2 (cab) and C4S (cab) are both great cars.

Last edited by NeverFastEnough; 07-22-2003 at 05:44 PM.