996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How to get access to the bulbs behind the gauges?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 12:19 PM
SQLDBATx is on a distinguished road
Question How to get access to the bulbs behind the gauges?

Anyone know how to pull apart the instrument panel on a 99 C2? I need to change a bulb back there.

Thanks

Old 01-11-2006, 05:14 PM
shaggy996 is on a distinguished road
you have to pull the whole top cluster to start with.

THere is a T20 behind the mic gril on the left side and another one behind the Ring around the Hazard light switch. Just use a pick to pull the mic grill out it pulls right out. the Hazard switch is alittle more difficult.

First turn on the hazards so that the switch is sticking out a bit. On the right hand side of the button you can get a pick into a groove at the back of it to pop the center button out. once this is out you use a Hook pick. Dont use a right angle for this or you will slip and leave a very large scratch across your dash. Use the hook in a hole that is on the right side of the ring around the botton and pull. It might be a bit tight but the ring will just pull off. The T20 is behind it.

Ok now that those 2 are out grab the dash and lift up. the whole top cluster is just clipped in once the 2 T20 screws are removed. Once the cluster is loose there are 3 Harnesses on the back of the cluster to unplug and one on the hazard switch. The 3 behind the cluster are pretty straight foward. Push in on the small clip and swing the lever over to remove them. THe Hazard switch is a little tricky. Using a pick again slide it between the body of the switch and the harness thats pluged into it. Do this from the underside of the dash pod. on the front of the switch body in the dash push in twards the center of the switch on the 2 outer tabs. While holding these in push out with the pick from behind. The switch body should pop out the front of the cluster pod. once the switch is out you can move the small clip holding the wire plug in place and slide it out the bottom. Do NOT pull on the switch from the front trying to remove it. you will break the switch.

Once the dash pod is loose there are 2 T20 srews on the back side that hold the cluster into the dash pod. remove these and remove the cluster from the dash pod.

Now that you have the guages out there are 2 clips on the sides where you pulled the screws out that have to be removed. just use a pick and push them off. Now you need a long thin flat head srew driver. Turn the guages around looking at the back side. At the top of the center behind the tach there is a notch. using the srew driver put it through the hole. There is a clip inside the guages at the top right at the top seam you have to release. Push the srew driver to the top right at the seam and give it a little turn to pop the clip. There are 2 clips at the bottom that area very easy to pop by hand and the front of the guages will come off.

There are 2 T15 screws that hold the gauges into the back cover. they are just in the back of the guages. remove those and the guages will come out.

its alot easyer and faster then it might sound. You need a T20 torques driver preferably magnetic. a T15 driver a pick set and a long thin flat head screw driver are all the tools you will need. I would recomend putting a small towel or something under the dash pod when you first pull it up so that you dont scratch the main dash while your trying to remove the wire plugs to pull it out.

Good luck hope this helps.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:11 PM
I was just thinking if all you have to change is a light at the bottom then you dont have to even take the guages apart. just take the dash pod off. the lights at the bottom twist out from the back.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Thumbs up

Originally posted by shaggy996
you have to pull the whole top cluster to start with.
Good luck hope this helps.
WOW! Nice post.

Originally posted by shaggy996
I was just thinking if all you have to change is a light at the bottom then you dont have to even take the guages apart. just take the dash pod off. the lights at the bottom twist out from the back.
Yeah. I looked at the pod while at the dealer getting my $7 bulb. It should just twist out.

Thanks for the great info!

Old 01-12-2006, 01:38 PM
DOH! I replaced the bulb and the LCD is still out. I can see the mileage working but the LCD wont light up.

Old 01-12-2006, 02:24 PM
Doh I dont remember off the top of my head like this to describe how to get to that part. The other parts I have done so often I can never forget it hehe

sorry