996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

996 starting problems, wheel degreaser

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 05:27 PM
gene0475# is on a distinguished road
996 starting problems, wheel degreaser

Hi,

Two issues I am looking for your thoughts on- most importantly, I am having starting issues with my 996. The car cranks and turns over normally in most cases but when I start and stop (and turn off the ignition) often, it gets harder to crank and turnover. Any thoughts? My mechanic says there are no issues but not sure if I need a higher CCA battery or other ideas?

Separately, what do you recommend for a degreaser for my wheels? Have tried Mother's and Armor All without success.

Thanks.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:31 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gene0475#
Hi,

Two issues I am looking for your thoughts on- most importantly, I am having starting issues with my 996. The car cranks and turns over normally in most cases but when I start and stop (and turn off the ignition) often, it gets harder to crank and turnover. Any thoughts? My mechanic says there are no issues but not sure if I need a higher CCA battery or other ideas?

Separately, what do you recommend for a degreaser for my wheels? Have tried Mother's and Armor All without success.

Thanks.
The car cranks and turns over normally in most cases but when I start and stop (and turn off the ignition) often, it gets harder to crank and turnover.

Reads like the battery is weak and the frequent stop then restart runs the battery down and the driving time between starts is not sufficient to replenish the battery.

A healthy battery can tolerate this to some extent though it too must be replenished if one wants it to remain healthy. If you can't arrange to drive the car long enough after engine start to replenish the battery then using a battery maintainer is probably in your future.

A battery test might be a good idea. Even new batteries can go bad. (Had a new battery in my Turbo fail after just 7 months.)

Or there is a battery lead connection problem that results in increased resistance that causes the slow cranking. In this case careful inspection of the battery leads especially where they connect at the starter or alternator and any ground lead connections looking for any degradation is called for.

In other cars the ground/negative lead that runs from -- usually the engine -- to the battery is the connection that suffers the most. At the engine engine it is exposed to the elements and heat and vibration can cause individual strands of wire in the cable to break which causes the other strands to get hot which leads to more degradation. In severe cases when starting the engine one can see this cable (the insulation is gone which is another sign of degradation) at close to the connector glow red from the heat of electrical resistance from the large amount of current flowing through the remaining intact strands.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:43 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Sonax or Griots heavy duty wheel cleaner.

Been using both for years. Don't really have a favorite (I currently have a gallon of griots and 6 bottles of sonax in the garage!)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.