Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > Porsche (Present) > 996
Reload this Page >

996 82mm throttle body same as 997.1 gt3 82mm throttle body?

Notices
996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Old 03-28-2017, 11:50 AM
orangeman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all,

Obligatory: yes I did try searching for this, thank you.

IDP sells its plenum and TB for $1175 and the plenum alone for $850

ECS Sells the plenum with stock air box adapter and plug for $850 here:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ipd-part...0ssaAncv8P8HAQ

You can buy an OEM bosch 997.1 gt3 82mm throttle body from a number of places for $130 such as this: http:// http://www.partsgeek.com/gbp...ad=47433965052

Which is what it says you're getting on the IDP page....

So... in order to save $185, can I just buy the 997.1 gt3 t-body, (and get the plenum kit from ECS) and is it the same as the the one ECS and IDP sell for $325? Am I missing something here?

Anyone know for sure?

Old 03-28-2017, 01:00 PM
Well, part number are the same, so I am going for it. Will report back after Mr. Sam tunes the car.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:16 PM
ncchill is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm definitely interested in your results with the plenum and GT3 TB. Is the car a 3.4 or 3.6?

Old 05-16-2017, 03:39 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud ofBiteEmNBeatEm has much to be proud of
any updates????

Old 06-05-2017, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by BiteEmNBeatEm View Post
any updates????
Whoa, sorry guys, I honestly totally forgot about posting again here, because rennlist seems to be so much more active.

I installed the the above throttle body on my 996 c4s.

It is the single best mod I have done to the car. Period.

Cost me $130whatever dollars and saved $250 over what idp or ecs are asking. You do of course need the corresponding idp comp plenum, which is an unfortunate cost of $850 with tubing from ECS.

There is now a nice intake growl that is almost as good a de-snorkled 986 boxster S, certainly a HUGE improvement over the perfectly quiet stock t body.

I tied it all together with a BMC drop in air filter and an EVOMS stage 3 tune. Car is noticably better than a stock 3.6 or 3.4, though even though improved over stock, the throttle response stillisn't quite as good as my buddies '99 non-e-gas cabrio. I am told it feels much better than a 997 non-s and feels very similar to a 997 3.8, although i've never driven a 3.8.

I am super pumped with the car and loved the sound until I went and ruined it with a fabspeed sprint cup exhaust. Car still drives great though.

2003 4S couple 6 spd with 60k miles

-converted to RWD (I don't drive the car is winter, drops 80 lbs, gains 12whp and 10wtq)
-removed spare and all tools
-Odyssey PC950 20lb lightweight battery
-997 gt3 throttle body <--- awesome
-idp 82mm comp plenum
-bc drop in filter
-evoms stage 3 tune <--- great
-RSS underdrive pulley <---- seriously awesome, all accessories run more quietly now, I swear the car revs faster
-fabspeed spring cup exhaust
- brand new PSS10s <------ great, ride quality much improved, but does not lower car much

Waiting on a couple parts before corner balance, alignment and dyno fun run. Really hoping for 290 RWHP and 3200 lbs sans driver

Will have a write up on everything on the other forum soon.

Best,

Kyle

Last edited by orangeman; 06-05-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:04 AM
NYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to beholdNYoutftr is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by orangeman View Post
Whoa, sorry guys, I honestly totally forgot about posting again here, because rennlist seems to be so much more active.

Cost me $130whatever dollars and saved $250 over what idp or ecs are asking. You do of course need the corresponding idp comp plenum, which is an unfortunate cost of $850 with tubing from ECS.

There is now a nice intake growl that is almost as good a de-snorkled 986 boxster S, certainly a HUGE improvement over the perfectly quiet stock t body.

I tied it all together with a BMC drop in air filter and an EVOMS stage 3 tune. Car is noticably better than a stock 3.6 or 3.4, though even though improved over stock, the throttle response stillisn't quite as good as my buddies '99 non-e-gas cabrio. I am told it feels much better than a 997 non-s and feels very similar to a 997 3.8, although i've never driven a 3.8.

I am super pumped with the car and loved the sound until I went and ruined it with a fabspeed sprint cup exhaust. Car still drives great though.

-converted to RWD (I don't drive the car is winter, drops 80 lbs, gains 12whp and 10wtq)
-idp 82mm comp plenum
-bc drop in filter
-RSS underdrive pulley <---- seriously awesome, all accessories run more quietly now, I swear the car revs faster
- brand new PSS10s <------ great, ride quality much improved, but does not lower car much

Waiting on a couple parts before corner balance, alignment and dyno fun run. Really hoping for 290 RWHP and 3200 lbs sans driver

Best,

Kyle
Looking forward to seeing your dyno results.
Similar modifications

Old 07-05-2017, 04:13 AM
djloush is an unknown quantity at this point

-idp 82mm comp plenum
-bc drop in filter

Best,

Kyle
I thought you should by far run an easy 290 whp!! with all of those mods ?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:50 PM
The mods don't actually do a lot in terms of horsepower, despite what the people selling them to you tell you, in fact most of them help you lose hp (see the plenum thread). You should go into them more thinking about better throttle response, noise and a flatter smoother power delivery.

If the car makes 316chp stock, at a 16% drivetrain loss, for my RWD car with the AWD transmission, that would be 265 whp.

So actually if my car made 290 whp I would be ecstatic, but this is very unlikely and with a reasonable dyno; I would actually be pumped with anything over 265 RWHP.

Should be dynoing the car tomorrow on a vicious dyno-jet at BERG motorsports, known as "the heartbreaker", and I don't have a pre mod graph, so I guess it will be more for funsies. Will post when I get a chance.

In other comparisons, I personally think the car is very healthy. I pulled pretty well ahead on a beat-up C6 S6 with the 435 hp V10, and a 4.2 S4 with 340 hp doing second to 4th gear highway pulls in mexico. And when I was at poconos last week with SCCA I did GREAT against a 2016 Z51 vette and a 2017 SS camero, both of which have 460 hp. So the dyno is really more just to see the curve, car is definitely fast at highway and track speeds, just dont line up at any lights with any evos...

Old 07-08-2017, 03:53 PM
Ayyyy, well I guess I am eating my own words here.

Car dyno'ed 293 whp and 252wft/lbs this morning. It was 70*F, with 95% humidity (was literally raining). Considering this was on original spark plugs, 32 lb rear wheels and with my 4S transmission, I am super pumped. Did not unfortunately get to weigh the car.

And while it was an AWD mustang, I don't think it was a particularly "happy" dyno; there we plenty of wrx and sti owners walking around grumbling, about getting 211 hp with a tune and one 5.0 new gen mustang with a super charger that made 456 whp where the owner thought it should be closer to 500hp at the wheels.

We all know about different dynos and all the variables and blah blah blah, but there was a bone stock 987.1 Cayman S there that put down 254 to the wheels, so I think the dyno was quite accurate compared to factory numbers. Any way, at 15% loss (and my car still has the awd transmission spinning its output shaft and guibo) that would put me at 345 crank hp. Even if it's in my head, I could not be more happy.

One thing I think is outstanding was how unbelievably linear my power curve is; it's like a straight line. My car almost completely doesn't have that infamous M96.03 hp dip at 5700 rpm like all the other graphs I see. I new the car was fast on the track before, and I knew the power delivery was smooth, but I guess this adds some more data to support that.

Huge kudos to EVOMS for what looks like an outstanding tune. Great time today and thanks to everyone hosting. Also, there may or may not have been some highway pulls afterwards, in mexico, with a 500 whp S2000...

Old 07-09-2017, 04:07 AM
djloush is an unknown quantity at this point
Ayyyy, well I guess I am eating my own words here.

Car dyno'ed 293 whp and 252wft/lbs this morning. It was 70*F, with 95% humidity (was literally raining). Considering this was on original spark plugs, 32 lb rear wheels and with my 4S transmission, I am super pumped. Did not unfortunately get to weigh the car.

And while it was an AWD mustang, I don't think it was a particularly "happy" dyno; there we plenty of wrx and sti owners walking around grumbling, about getting 211 hp with a tune and one 5.0 new gen mustang with a super charger that made 456 whp where the owner thought it should be closer to 500hp at the wheels.

We all know about different dynos and all the variables and blah blah blah, but there was a bone stock 987.1 Cayman S there that put down 254 to the wheels, so I think the dyno was quite accurate compared to factory numbers. Any way, at 15% loss (and my car still has the awd transmission spinning its output shaft and guibo) that would put me at 345 crank hp. Even if it's in my head, I could not be more happy.

One thing I think is outstanding was how unbelievably linear my power curve is; it's like a straight line. My car almost completely doesn't have that infamous M96.03 hp dip at 5700 rpm like all the other graphs I see. I new the car was fast on the track before, and I knew the power delivery was smooth, but I guess this adds some more data to support that.

Huge kudos to EVOMS for what looks like an outstanding tune. Great time today and thanks to everyone hosting. Also, there may or may not have been some highway pulls afterwards, in mexico, with a 500 whp S2000...

Well congrats on such great results and yes you did stand corrected on what u replied to me lol well done and enjoy it bro...

Old 07-17-2017, 11:57 AM
bja72774 is an unknown quantity at this point
Great information, I will have to look into this. I havent seen any IPD plenums in the marketplace, or second hand ones...I'll keep an eye out.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:20 AM
Jdet996 is an unknown quantity at this point
I purchased the 82mm throttle body separately. I got it on eBay with a gasket for $115. New OEM Bosch.. MOTORS717 (I think) $20 off coupon code for the month of July.

On a related note, has anyone ever tried to 3D print a Plenum that contains an air diverter like the IPD plenum and can accept an 82mm Throttle body? A friend of mine is currently attempting this using carbon-fiber re-enforced ABS.. this would reduce the cost of the GT3 throttle body mod to like $130 for the TB, and sub-$100 for the Plenum. Just wondering it it has been attempted..

Old 10-24-2017, 03:23 PM
bja72774 is an unknown quantity at this point
Looks like Ben is trying this, is that who you were talking about or someone else?

Old 10-25-2017, 04:40 PM
gaffa is an unknown quantity at this point
So....I have an IPD plenum but how do In tell whether or not it's the comp plenum ? The 82mm throttle will only work w/the comp version, correct ?

By the way, impressive dyno numbers with what I think is minimal spend. I have a Fabspeed X-pipe, no cats & a Gundo hack without a tune at present as I only recently purchased her but tune coming next week. I notice a difference with the little my car has in mods so I'm looking forward to a few more as reading your post is very encouraging.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:32 PM
Jdet996 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was able to 3D Print Plenum Adapter for Bosch 82mm TB

Hey Guys, Sold my 2003 C4S a month ago and I kind of forgot about this thread, but I wanted to let you know that I was able to buy the Bosch GT3 TB from eEuroparts (I think) for like $130. I didn't want to pay $850 for an IPD Plenum so I made my own..

If you measure the TB side of the stock plenum and calculate the area of the opening, then do the same for the GT3 TB, you will find that once you subtract the area of the throttle plate/valve from the calculation, the stock plenum has a larger free cross sectional area than the GT3 TB... So this means we really only need an adapter to smoothly neck-down from the GT3 TB to the stock plenum..

I was able to 3D print one out of Carbon fiber-filled nylon (about $80/kilo). I also 3-D Printed a splitter to mount in the back of the stock plenum that mimics the internal geometry of the IPD unit..

used brass thread inserts slathered w epoxy to ensure I could securely bolt things up and used a high quality epoxy to affix the adapter plate to tho stock plenum... had to source some silicone hose off eBay to attach to stock air box..

Results: Improved power, throttle response and sound

*note: car already had fabspeed high flow cats and cheap, but good headers

I put 3000 miles on my car before I sold it.. Materials held up well...

Pics attached ...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170802_162644.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	517343   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170802_181218.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	517344   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170802_162719.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	517345   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170802_004358.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	2.88 MB
ID:	517346   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170802_032728.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	517347  

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.