996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Radiator/condenser relocation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:52 AM
re86grinder is an unknown quantity at this point
Radiator/condenser relocation?

Hi! My name is Mike and I been a long time lurker of this site but, first time posting. I'm a shaper/modeler by trade. I have a 2002 996 project that I been working on and I came across this tire rubbing issue against the radiator when I turn the wheels. Is there like a relocation kit or something I can do to move the radiator about 1 1/2" to 2 inches? Sorry in advance if this topic has been dealt before. I figured it would save me time to just ask (for people that had the same problem with wider front tires).

Thank you very much in advance!
Mike

Old 04-14-2017, 03:38 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by re86grinder
Hi! My name is Mike and I been a long time lurker of this site but, first time posting. I'm a shaper/modeler by trade. I have a 2002 996 project that I been working on and I came across this tire rubbing issue against the radiator when I turn the wheels. Is there like a relocation kit or something I can do to move the radiator about 1 1/2" to 2 inches? Sorry in advance if this topic has been dealt before. I figured it would save me time to just ask (for people that had the same problem with wider front tires).

Thank you very much in advance!
Mike
What tires are you wanting to run that rub anything?

I have a hard time imagining how the tires can rub against the radiators.

Each radiator is immediately behind the condenser and then there is a radiator fan and bracket behind the radiator.

All of this is then covered by a wheel well liner. The tire should never contact the wheel liner let alone anything ahead of that.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:37 PM
Sorry! I should have said I'm working on a widebody and I'm running 19x11 with 295's for now but will soon change to 305's when I'm done.

Old 04-14-2017, 05:44 PM

this is where I'm at now. rears are 19x13 on the rear and 325/30/19 tires. I will run 345's when I'm done.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:12 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by re86grinder
Sorry! I should have said I'm working on a widebody and I'm running 19x11 with 295's for now but will soon change to 305's when I'm done.
It reads then you are going to have to relocate the radiator mounts to move the radiators make room which to state the obvious brings us back to where we started.

I don't recall anyone ever doing this so unless someone else chips in I think you are on your own.

From my memory there's not much room in the existing ducting to move the radiator (and condenser assuming you are going to retain A/C) forward.

Not being at the car to "eyeball" the amount of room needed means I can only WAG at this.

Thus I'm not sure if just tilting the radiator forward at the top or the bottom or even perhaps swinging its outside forward or its inside forward -- IOWs tilting or rotating the thing around its vertical axis -- would help.

Perhaps a "custom" radiator that uses the existing brackets but is made into 2 separate sections with a gap between them that allows the tires to clear would work?

'course this would require extra hoses to connect the two smaller radiators but if it provides you with the tire clearance you need...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.