996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

110K transmission maintenance?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 08:32 PM
blackonblack996 is on a distinguished road
110K transmission maintenance?

Anyone subject their AUTO transmission to a 100K miles maintenance?

Does anyone know what is recommended and what is cost efficient?

Complete Flush?
Just filter & gasket?
Anything I'm not asking about?

My IMS has already been replaced...

Thx

Old 04-17-2017, 04:58 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by blackonblack996
Anyone subject their AUTO transmission to a 100K miles maintenance?

Does anyone know what is recommended and what is cost efficient?

Complete Flush?
Just filter & gasket?
Anything I'm not asking about?

My IMS has already been replaced...

Thx
No first hand experience with the Porsche Tip but I think the standard Tip service is fluid, filter and possibly a new gasket. Note not all fluid is replaced. Just the fluid in the immediate transmission is removed, drained. The torque converter fluid is not drained.

The fluid doesn't get contaminated like engine oil so a partial replacement of the fluid is ok. The filter change ensures the filter doesn't impede the flow of fluid through the transmission. A Tip can flow a lot of fluid, has to because the fluid can get pretty warm and needs to flow through the cooler.

I've never seen a Tip apart but I've seen other "similar" automatics apart and the valve body is a thing of beauty. Precisely machined bores with valves that have the sharpest of corners. When taking one of these apart my auto tech buddies would stress how important it was to not let these valves touch each either, bang into each other to avoid any nicks, gouges, or other damage that could interfere with the very clean and precise control and flow of fluid through the valve body. The techs used an old fashion wash board laying the "string" of valves in the dips of the wash board thus keeping the valves in correct order and separate from each other.

Because of what I've seen I'm an advocate of an early (and "frequent) Tip fluid/filter service.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:17 PM
blackonblack996 is on a distinguished road
Well, you certainly sold me on getting this service done. Have you or anyone else on here ever done this service YOURSELF? I can drop the pan, replace the filter, remove metal from the pan magnet, etc...It's the FLUID replacement part that I'm worried about. If you have advice, then I'm open to it.
Thanks

Old 04-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by blackonblack996
Well, you certainly sold me on getting this service done. Have you or anyone else on here ever done this service YOURSELF? I can drop the pan, replace the filter, remove metal from the pan magnet, etc...It's the FLUID replacement part that I'm worried about. If you have advice, then I'm open to it.
Thanks
The 996 factory service manual covers this and IIRC the procedure isn't a straight drain fluid then add fluid procedure.

IIRC -- at least this is the case for the 996 Turbo Tip -- after some fluid has been added the engine must be started and allowed to idle in Park while more fluid is added. And the ATF temperature must not be higher than 40C at the start of this process.

The Porsche 996 Essentially Companion book may cover this procedure for the 996 Tip. I have a copy but it is at home.

My advice is you need the correct procedure steps and be confident in your ability to perform them correctly. A Tip is an expensive piece of hardware to learn hands on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.