996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

2006 911 engine compartment door will not open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 06:42 PM
Elizabeth Miami is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 911 engine compartment door will not open

my engine compartment door will not open. my battery is fine and but when I pull on the switch it sounds like its going to go, but it does not release. the front opens fine with no issues. am I missing something ?

Old 05-06-2017, 09:39 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Miami
my engine compartment door will not open. my battery is fine and but when I pull on the switch it sounds like its going to go, but it does not release. the front opens fine with no issues. am I missing something ?
Reads like the solenoid that works the latch catch is working -- the noise you hear when you pull on the switch -- but the mechanical linkage has failed.

There is an emergency release cable.

When my Turbo's engine compartment lid refused to open the tech used some plastic wedges to open up a gap between the rear bumper cover and the taillight to find the release and snag it with a thin metal hook to open the engine compartment lid but I don't know what's involved in getting access to this release with the 996.

My advice would be to take your car to a qualified Porsche repair facility (dealer or indy) and someone there should know how to get at the emergency release.

Once the lid is open then the tech can close the latch manually (leaving the lid open) and work the switch and confirm what is going on. Or he might have to remove the rear bumper cover or in some way expose the lid latch hardware in order to fully view the workings but he will know what is necessary.