996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Following carpet removal, Shift Lever stuck in PARK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 11:24 AM
A6 Stick is an unknown quantity at this point
Following carpet removal, Shift Lever stuck in PARK

I have a 99 996 cabriolet with tiptronic. I just removed and replaced the interior carpet. I attached the gear shift assembly to the center tunnel and then using my reference mark I connected the rear shift cable. With the shift cable attached I was able to move the selector lever from P to the D positions with the brake pedal depressed. I then reattached the forward cable for the gear indicator. With both cables attached the selector lever is stuck in P. The lever remains stuck with the engine on or off, with the ebrake on or off, after rocking the car, and after a few (many) choice words.... I wonder if the problem lies in the seats have not been reinstalled, there are numerous electrical connects that haven't bee connected, i.e., those under the seats, window switches, all center console connections...Perhaps it's normal to have lever stuck in P until everything is back together, but I am hesitant to reinstall everything only to find out P is the permanent home of the lever. My question; Is the stuck in P situation normal or is there something I need to do to allow the shift lever to move? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-11-2017, 07:26 PM
wyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the roughwyovino is a jewel in the rough
The quickest thing to check is if the shifter button was reassembled correctly

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...#comment-10388