Common Operating Levels - Page 3 - 6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource

Notices
996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Common Operating Levels

Old 09-07-2018, 05:57 AM
b3freak is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Oggie View Post
Can I ask why you changed the regulator for a low temp unit? What are you trying to achieve? This doesn't improve cooling, no matter what you might have read. See here for an explanation.
I'm a advocate for low temp thermostats. The purpose of a low temperature thermostat is NOT to bring down the highest temps, but to operator more efficiently on the lowest threshold. JFP says it the best on this thread.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...hermostat.html

Old 09-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Slik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond reputeSlik560 has a reputation beyond repute
Yikes. Now my head REALLY hurts Thanks for the information. The discussion in that forum/thread is a lot more in-depth than the first article. I had not heard about the potential for 'hot spots' with these engines. Now I'm leaning back towards a lower temp unit.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:08 PM
Oggie is on a distinguished road
That was an interesting read and at least I have seen a reasoned explanation, even if I may not fully agree with it.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:10 PM
Jglowien is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by b3freak View Post
Good advice! Here's a video to help if the OP hasn't done it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqlXQqjy45E&t=192s

and, for cleaning the rads...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xhw_hWpisY

All the best!!!
JAN2019 Update!! Finally tackled the cracked tank on my 01 Carrera Cab, which was diagnosed by the local Porsche dealer who did the limited PPI. Quite a job: 3 hours to get tank out; 1 hour to slide new one back in; 2 more to button it up. A couple key learnings: Fuel rail is in the way! Even dropping the engine only gave 95% of clearance needed. Recommend needle nose locking vise grips to deal with the Porsche spring hose clamps, if you don't have proper pliers. Also used cord to tie back disconnected hoses to give more room. Syphoned the antifreeze out using small tube to reach bottom of old tank, so it was nice and emply. Fingers crossed this is the needed fix.