996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Thinking of installing the Bilstein PSS-10 suspension kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 02:25 PM
user426 is on a distinguished road
Thinking of installing the Bilstein PSS-10 suspension kit

I have a 2002 C4S... my suspension is shot. I've been told that my car is a 1 of 200 special edition, that uses its own suspension, different from C2's, C4's or even turbos.....the OEM parts can be purchased, but only from Germany, and real pricey. So I've been looking for alternatives. My car has a red S on the C4S badge, and that's an indication of the special edition. I can not find any info to substantiate that claim, so I'm seeking any info from the collective minds of the hive.....

I've been told today that this car has a POWER UP option....can anyone shed any light on this...????

thanks

Last edited by user426; 10-21-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:38 AM
Stone_05 is on a distinguished road
Interesting that you were told that the Red "S" means special edition. First I've ever heard of that. Especially since some of us C4S owners have the S painted red. I also thought that the C4S shared the turbo body and suspension. Pretty much the Turbo without the Turbo if you know what I mean. Can you shed light on "who" told you these items made your C4S different than others? Just curious if there really is a special edition C4S. I'm also interested in upgrading my suspension. I'm currently on H&R springs and the ride is pretty stiff and can be a little harsh during spirited drives on back roads.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:58 PM
orangeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey man, I've never heard of a special edition C4S, and I don't believe it exists, so I can't really help there, I do however have PSS10s.

Do yourself a favor and buy Ohlins Road and Tracks instead. They are the exact same price, have better adjustability, go lower, and provide a much smoother ride with the DV technology. I wish I had after riding in other people's cars with the ohlins. The PSS10s are a quality part that won't fail on you, but frankly they are old technology and have simply been surpassed (there is a reason they are basically identical to 20 year old pss9 designs). Also, the fact that they barely lower the car is nothing short of ridiculous. You'll only get about 3/4 an inch front and 1/2 inch rear drop. While that gets rid of the 4x4 look, my fenders are still a good inch above the tire, front and back and they are as low as they go without removing the front helper springs. These pss10s seem like they were an afterthought for the C4S by bilstein.

Further DO NOT buy either without buying new upper front strut mounts. You will rip your old ones if they are original, and you'll have to take them back out again. Buy 997 turbo ones, they are the same at 996 ones but cost hundreds less for some reason. Have them on my car for 15k miles now.

I'd further recommend you buy a set of sway bars, make sure they are a matched set by company front and rear. TCP ones are the best, but pricy.

Last, get the following alignment when you're done : FRONT: 0 toe, -1* camber. REAR: 1/64 toe in each side, -2* camber. I'm never on this board but if you would like to ask further questions feel free to hit me up on the other board.

Old 12-03-2018, 04:46 AM
dantm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
watch this video....

This guy is claiming a special edition 996 in yellow. watch the video and see what he says about the differences. He makes reference to turbo suspension parts.