996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Cheap hardwire solution for extra 12 volt accessories

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 11:13 AM
mjposner is an unknown quantity at this point
Cheap hardwire solution for extra 12 volt accessories

Under the driver's side carpet panel in front of the console is a 4 prong molex connector that includes a two 12 volt power sources on the left side with the unswitched first and the switched second, with a ground on the right (brown wire). Using a 12 Volt all weather power outlet from Autozone, I simply pressed the red power wire into the molex connector attached to the green with black stripe and the black ground wire into the molex connector with the brown wire. After confirming it worked with my gps, I wrapped in electrical tape. I then added a a two in one spliter and plugged in my bluetooth adapter from Amazon. There is plenty of room under the lower front console. This means I have a free 12 Volt Socket on the dash, but can still power my bluetooth connection and gps.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:31 AM
ZuffenZeus is on a distinguished road
Thanks for sharing. I've used it for my radar detector. It's a lot easier to access than having to hard wire in my Volvos.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:06 AM
mjposner is an unknown quantity at this point
Was surprisingly easy. I did double check switched/unswitched with a multi-meter first. 12 volt socket from autozone had solder on the end, which made it easy to tightly slide into molex connector holes, and I then just taped down.