996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Car wash help....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 02:21 AM
newport996 will become famous soon enoughnewport996 will become famous soon enough
Car wash help....

OK....just got my black 996 C4 Cab back from the shop where they color sanded it to remove the swirls. Black scratches pretty easy....whats the safest way to clean the car without swirl marks?

Old 06-20-2006, 02:34 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
when washing, don't use circular motion. go in straight line. keep changing water in bucket and rinse car plenty before washing. I use a thick pile lamb skin mitt. Put on several coats of polish / wax.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:34 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Simple..buy the Zaino "ZKIT-2" and follow the procedures.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

Old 06-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
check out www.griotsgarage.com..

I have several friends with black cars that are over 5 years old... no swirl marks at all! Great Polish and wax job! pick up the Griots car wash, and mitts, then dry with the Mircofiber drying towel.. that thing is awesome!!

Old 06-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Dev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really niceDev911 is just really nice
Use clean soft mits to soap and try Mr. Clean Auto Dry, it uses distilled water to air dry your car so you never have to use a shami or anything else to cause more swirl marks. Touchless drying with virtually no water marks.

Old 06-21-2006, 02:13 PM
AudiOn19s is on a distinguished road
You can have all of the greatest products in the world but if youre washing procedure is flaw'd you'll still get swirls and light surface marring.

Here's what you need for proper upkeep:

2 buckets
2 wash mits
2 microfiber drying towels
Proper Auto wash (I like Megs Gold class as it's easy to get and has good lubricancy (sp?))

Mix one bucket of water with your wash soap and another about 1/2 way full with just water. Dunk your wash mit in the soapy water solution and make one pass on the car. Flip the mit over and make another pass on the car. If the area is not overly dirty you can make a couple of passes before flipping the mit. I'd never suggest more than 1/2 a pannel at a time. Also...always work from the top to the bottom and your back-and-forth motions should be in the direction that wind flows over the car. Go directly from the car into the clean water bucket. Aggitate the surface of the mit quickly in that bucket to loosen dirt and then remove and wring excess water from mit. Dunk in Soapy water bucket and repeat. If your clean water bucket becomes dirty dump and re-fill with clean water.

Use a separate mit for the bottom of the car then you did for the top of the car. Make sure you mark this mit and never mix the two up. Always wash your mits after EVERY use to insure they are as clean and free of contaminants as possible.

When finished take the nossel off of your hose and run streaming water over the car. This will help with sheeting of water on the surface of the car and leave less water to remove when drying.

Use your waffle weave towels to remove water from the surface of the car. Don't wipe back and forth like you may instinctively think. Lay the towel flat on the surface of the car and drag across the surface to remove water. (again in the direction that the wind would move over the car). Two Microfibers should easily dry a 911.

This all may sound a bit over the top BUT once you get used to the procedure it really adds very little time overall to your routein. I clean wheels, tires, wheel wells, door jambs before the remainder of the car to cut down on water spotting. Always use clean / fresh water when doing the main body of the car.

Porsche paint is a detailers dream...soft and easy to work with making a detailer look like a hero with very little effort. Unfortunatly for an enthusiest it makes the paint very hard to maintain.

Andy

Old 08-16-2022, 02:28 AM
robert2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
If your car has a substantial amount of mud, dirt, sand, and dust, that has caked on or has accumulated over time, a car wash without water isn’t advisable. Because merely wiping them with a waterless wash would result in scratches on the paintwork.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:33 AM
Long Islander has a spectacular aura aboutLong Islander has a spectacular aura about
I have no swirl marks on any of my cars. That's because I do all of my polishing myself. Swirl marks are caused by a pad that hasn't been cleaned properly. The pad on the polisher has dried-on wax or polish that scratches your surface. The detailer hides the swirl marks he caused by polishing the paint by using filler to fill in the scratch marks he caused. After a few washes, the filler is washed away and you see the scratch marks and you wonder how they got there. The best way to get rid of swirl marks is to remove them using a mild abrasive polish yourself. You can can call Autopia for advice on which abrasive to buy. Remember, swirl marks are the hallmark of a lazy detailer.