996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

New Owner! What to do now???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 10:47 AM
Banned
eride996 is on a distinguished road
welcome to the world of porsche peer pressure.

MOD LIST for style/performance
1) divorce wife (priceless)
2) smoke side markers (cost almost nothing)
3) coilovers (VERY IMPORTANT) (h&r; cheap price and good overall performance about $2000 installed)
4) 19" wheels and tires(ebay or i might know a few people with nice used set $5000 (NO cheap tires please)
5) exhaust and evo coldair intake (exhaust: just have your stock gutted out sounds better than all other aftermarket exhaust and cost less) total cost $450 with bmc airfilter $650 with evo coldairintake
6) b&m short shifter if you have a 6 speed $250
7) silver hood crest $100
8) aero/vented factory hood $1900 painted and installed
9) new bumpers front & rear

stage 2 mod
10) gt-3 or cobra misano seats $2800
11) sway bars gt3r or new h&r. $800
12) new amp for stereo and extra subs
13) find good asian massage parlor ($150 with happy ending)

Old 02-05-2004, 10:57 PM
CA996 is on a distinguished road
All I got to say is your in big trouble now. ENJOY

Old 02-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Or you can start off with simple mods like...

Hardwire your garage door opener... Mine is in the center console.

Or you can add a spoiler switch...

Both mods are simple, inexpensive and easy to do!

My FIRST Mod was clear side markers...

Old 02-06-2004, 03:07 PM
carcrazee is on a distinguished road
kirby.,

can you give a diy step by step on how to hardwire the garage door openner?

thanks

Old 02-06-2004, 03:09 PM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
Look at my hobbystage page.

http://hobbystage.net/porsche/itzkirb/

Bottom of the page I have instructions.

Old 02-08-2004, 12:01 AM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
Thanks for the 411 everyone!

Itzkirb: What is needed for the garage door opener and spoiler switch? I assumed the spoiler switch (allows the spoiler to be adjusted while park?) was standard, isn't it? Please let me know what needs to be purchased and any part # if you have them.

On the B&M SS, can you get an actual lower shifter?

Just order the Euro side markers and need some opinons on the following parts:

1. I wanted to lower the car and was looking at H&R springs, but wanted to know if anyone had any better suggestions for a lower stance. I think H&R springs lower the car 1" all around and wanted to go lower than that, so please let me know if anyone went another route under $500.

2. Also wanted to upgrade the exhaust system for a louder and deeper tone, but really don't want to spend $1500-$2000 so please let me know if there is another route to achieve this goal. I was thinking about gutting it like "eride996" suggested or going with the Fabspeed bypass system.

After the price of the car, shipping and taxes I'm kind of on a strict budget, so please fill in on which route I should go.

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Old 02-08-2004, 12:39 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
The best "bang for the buck"upgrades:
1. Suspension, RoW M030 is the best overall package but not that cheap at around $2K installed. For looks and good performance per dollar spent addition of H&R springs with your stock shocks would work well (per H&R), probably not perfect. Albeit there are much better setups available, RoW/X74/coilovers etc...how much do you want to spend?? Alternatively, leave the stock suspension until you can afford to do it right. Out of the box the std 996 suspension will out-handle 95% of the sports cars out there IMO.
2. Exhaust, PSE may be the best but there are some very good and reputable aftermarket exhausts. Fabspeed (6 speed sponsor)and GHL (rennlist sponsor) come to mind. I would not hack my stock mufflers, you may want them someday, if gutted you can never go back.
3. B&M short shifter, almost can't go wrong here. The exact same short shifter used by Porsche at 1/2-1/3 the price. Sold by Porsche dealers and aftermarket vendors alike...including board sponsors.
So basically, hold off on the suspension until you can do it right, get a GHL or Fabspeed exhaust (less than $1K), add a B&M$200-250) and go!

Last edited by TT Gasman; 02-08-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:42 PM
C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !C4SxM5 Is a GOD !
what is PSE?

Old 02-08-2004, 12:51 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
Porsche Sports Exhaust, an optional louder exhaust which uses a vacum operated bypass pipe that can be controlled with an electric switch. Generally installed as an upgrade without the full vacum/electrics. It defaults into a full open mode when installed in this fashion, takes about 1-2 hours. Though not cheap, usually around $1500+, it is a very popular upgrade.

Old 02-08-2004, 01:39 PM
oalvarez will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by greyghost
My first Mod was getting it lowered with the ROW M030 Eruo springs, about 1 inch in in front and ¾" in rear. You may want the X74 suspension or maybe even the extreme PSS9s
your car is simply beautiful. my RoW M030 arrives tomorrow (2/09). by the looks of the pics, the car does not seem 3/4 - 1/2 lower. is that because it's still settling down or is it definately noticeable in person?

no turning back for me now......great ride you have there.

Old 02-08-2004, 01:46 PM
oalvarez will become famous soon enough
i debated and debated as well. i suppose in the end it's all about the $$.

what i have done in 2 weeks:

-clear side marker lamps
-metropol blue mats (beige leather interior, ocean blue ext, see link below)
-RoW M030 arrives tomorrow 2/09 (purchased at Carnewal.com, Gert is the best!!)
-Michelin Pilot Sports all around (switched to current 285/30/18 rear)

debating:
-wheels (either Techart/BBS, see my post, subject "which wheels")
-SERIOUSLY considering the Porsche Sport Exhaust, might be the next mod given the price and return...could be ordered this week.
-b&m short shifter (i want to be able to do this myself)

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU !!