996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Polished my tips today...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 09:49 PM
RJFabCab is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Polished my tips today...

I used a green Scotch-Brite pad and some H2O to scrub off all the debris and then polished the tips up with P21S Multi-Surface Finish Restorer. This combo worked really well. I didn't want the tips to be too shiny.

I also confirmed (for myself) why you have to release the clamps after the muffler to get the tips off. The polished portion of the tip is not only bolted to the tailpipe, but it's also welded!

Otherwise, scrubbing the tips down would be a real EZ job, if all you had to do was unbolt the polished portion and remove it from the tailpipe! Unfortunately, I was forced to struggle with the darn clamps!

Old 08-03-2003, 11:54 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Those look nice!!! Whats your address I'll send you these

Old 08-04-2003, 12:03 PM
ESK
Hick from NH
ESK is on a distinguished road
RJ,

I did the same thing on my '03 cab (Flitz metal polish and fine grade steel wool). They looked great and I figured I'd saved about $400 on S/S tips. Unfortunately, they yellowed right up again after about 200 miles (apparently from the exhaust heat). I did remove mine by just unscrewing the nut and pulling them off.

Eric

Old 08-04-2003, 12:35 PM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
I also cleaned my tips using Fitz Metal Polish, but I was curious how can I make the tips even more shinier? Is there an alternative to dipping in chrome?

Old 08-04-2003, 01:22 PM
No-Turn-Tech is on a distinguished road
Exhaust Tips

We do them in black nickel, which is quite a classy look.

Old 08-04-2003, 01:41 PM
Pistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these partsPistol is infamous around these parts
Please post pics

No Turn Tech, would u please psost some pictures of the black nickel exhaust tips, and also the price?

Old 08-04-2003, 02:12 PM
Modaholic
Kevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond reputeKevin M has a reputation beyond repute
Ralph it sounds like we have a little project to do... Shall we black nickel them...

Old 08-04-2003, 06:18 PM
Orient Express is on a distinguished road
The tips are not welded to the pipe

they are just held on with that one bolt. The fit is very tight, but they do come off, and it is much easier to take the bolt off then to take the clamps off.

If yours are stuck try some WD-40. Also look back in the tip and you can see where the to pieces are slid into each other. the weld you show is the piece that slides into the pipe.

Old 08-04-2003, 06:31 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
I polish my tips on the car (never had them off in fact) with P21S Multi-Surface Restorer Polish applied with a rag. If I go awhile without cleaning them, I use the P21S applied with 0000 steel wool. The tips are as shiny as chrome.

Old 08-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Re: The tips are not welded to the pipe

Originally posted by Orient Express
they are just held on with that one bolt. The fit is very tight, but they do come off, and it is much easier to take the bolt off then to take the clamps off.
I took those bolts off and couldn't get the tips to separate from the inner exhaust pipe! So, I had to wallow in misery working with those cursed clamps...

Old 08-04-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Dock (Atlanta)
I polish my tips on the car (never had them off in fact) with P21S Multi-Surface Restorer Polish applied with a rag. If I go awhile without cleaning them, I use the P21S applied with 0000 steel wool. The tips are as shiny as chrome.
I thought about using steel wool, but I wanted to try something less abrasive first. I also didn't want the tips to be too shiny. There was a bunch of cooked on road tar on the tips, so I really had to take them off the scrub 'em down real well.

We'll see how long the look lasts...

Old 08-04-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by ESK
I did remove mine by just unscrewing the nut and pulling them off. Eric
Oh boy. I really am sorry about having to work with those clamps... I pulled those things with all my might and they wouldn't separate. They must be really cooked on there!

Old 08-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Say, Kev...

Send me your tips and $500 cash money and I'll polish 'em right up for you! Heck, I'll even cover the return postage cost!

Ground UPS, of course.

Old 08-05-2003, 12:58 AM
Modaholic
how about $450 and Fedex!

Old 08-05-2003, 07:31 AM
NC Bob is on a distinguished road
If you want to polish the tips mounted on the car, get a Dremel, a set of buffing wheels and polishing compound and go to work. The tips will be mirror finish; not like the tips in the first set of pics which are still dull. When I changed to Fabspeeds on my old C-2, I buffed the tips on my bench with a Dewalt grinder using a buffing wheel and two grades of compound. They turned out looking like a chrome finish.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Polished my tips today...