996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

Feeler - Custom front lip for OEM 996 02-04 bumpers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 09:29 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Feeler - Custom front lip for OEM 996 02-04 bumpers

Had an idea that I wanted to thow out there to see if there is any general interest-

Since my car is a tip I will not be going the entire route of complete body kit and front bumper replacement.
But, I do want to add on a bit more downforce to the front OEM non-aero bumper by adding a front spoiler lip. Call it a mild enhancement that is both functional and modestly priced.

Problem- No one makes a stright add-on lip for the 02-04 996 standard bumper! I have talked with a well-known SoCal source that can make them if the interest is about 10 people. I did find a TA add-on lip, but at the $700+ price listed I might as well just get a whole bumper!

goals would be:
1. modestly priced at around $200-$300, which is the price I find for the turbo add-on lips, aerokit add on lips and Boxster / 996 99-01 add on lips. This way when the road eats it up eventually, or you acidentally curb it, you don't feel so bad and you've added some protection to the lower part of your OEM bumper.

2. comes in black finish, paintable surface. If you don't want to paint it just put it on, or paint to match your car.

3. bolts straight on without needing to heavily mod the front bumper.

4. is a mild functional downforce enhancement for DD / freeway use and blends in with the factory styling.

Here are a couple of pics of roughly what I envision- This is a lip from an 02-04 996 Orciari body kit. But if you want the lip you have to buy the entire kit, and I don't like the rest of the kit.

Anyone who might be interested in getting one, or if you just want to poke fun at my idea and tell me I'm nuts, please feel free to post or PM me.

Last edited by p0rsch3; 06-08-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:33 AM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
techart sells just the lip

Old 06-08-2007, 09:37 AM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Albert...bumble996 had just the lip on his car...I "THINK" it was the Orciari....

Old 06-08-2007, 09:38 AM
p0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond reputep0rsch3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DJ
techart sells just the lip
Yep, I stated that in my post- TA= Techart = $700+.....

Old 06-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
def improves the stock look/downforce...but prefer the earokit bumpers....

Old 06-08-2007, 12:09 PM
miboxer96 is infamous around these parts
Saw this before on E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem

Might work, might not, but thought I would throw it out there for you.

Here is their website direct...

http://www.xtrememotorcars.com/

Cheers!

Last edited by miboxer96; 06-08-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Redridge
def improves the stock look/downforce...but prefer the earokit bumpers....
Sure, I would agree- Obviously replacing the entire bumper would be best and provides the most options for looks desired, but for those who do not want to go that route it would be nice to have a reasonable alternative available that provides a similar aerodynamic benefit.

The picture above is not exactly what I would want, but is a close representation as an example only. I think something could be made that looks a bit better, maybe even with a bit of a splitter effect.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by miboxer96
Saw this before on E-bay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...QQcmdZViewItem

Might work, might not, but thought I would throw it out there for you.

Here is their website direct...

http://www.xtrememotorcars.com/

Cheers!
Yep- only fits turbo bumpers. Kinda clunky looking on the sides IMO.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:08 PM
newport996 is infamous around these partsnewport996 is infamous around these parts
Heres the prob you will have....the lip has to be inexpensive, good fit and poly, not fiberglass....now to make it like that, it wont be inexpensive. SO you will end up paying almost as much for a whole front bumper and paint as you will for the lip spoiler, prep and paint....most people will go with the TT/C4S bumper (which can be done for CHEAPER than the lip spoiler if you get a good used one) or GT3/aero bumper for not much more money.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
I like that lip a lot more than putting on a C4S/Turbo bumper on a narrowbody - go for it it looks awesome!

Old 06-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Banned
RAW-MEAN is infamous around these parts
WOW. I Like, for that price count me in, please keep me updated. I was trying to get the turbo front bumper but don't want to hack my car, so this is a pretty good option.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by newport996
Heres the prob you will have....the lip has to be inexpensive, good fit and poly, not fiberglass....now to make it like that, it wont be inexpensive. SO you will end up paying almost as much for a whole front bumper and paint as you will for the lip spoiler, prep and paint....most people will go with the TT/C4S bumper (which can be done for CHEAPER than the lip spoiler if you get a good used one) or GT3/aero bumper for not much more money.
Good argument- And given the current state of things and what is (or isn't) presently available for 02-04 996 cars w/ OEM bumper, I agree.

My goal here is to change that and hopefully have something for an OEM bumper that is inexpensive, good fit, functional, and any avid DIY'er can install if they so desire.
Case and point- If buying a lip were that expensive in all cases, no one would buy the lip option for the Aero bumper, Turbo bumper, or some of the aftermarket bumpers. I've seen those lips selling in the $200-$300 range.

Again, I'm looking for up to 10 folks who would be seriously interested in having one so I can possibly work on getting it made. If it works out, cool- if not, nothing lost except my time.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:59 PM
icemann633 is infamous around these parts
Go aero or go home!! Haha

I would be interested in a lip for my MkI aero

Old 06-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by icemann633
Go aero or go home!! Haha

I would be interested in a lip for my MkI aero
I believe they already make a lip add-on for the Aero bumper. Let me see where the link was and I'll post it...

Old 06-08-2007, 04:49 PM
JSmith5690 is infamous around these parts
Here is one for $330 from Razzi. Its made from extruded plastic. I bought my car used and this package was on my car when I got it. It is very tough (i scrape my steep driveway almost daily and have curbed it a few times).

But I prefer the look of the OEM Aerokits, so I will be replacing mine sometime this summer. Anyway here is link: www.razzi.com

The website says to contact them about its application for the 2002-2004 models.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Feeler - Custom front lip for OEM 996 02-04 bumpers