996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

DME Help! Mayday..Mayday

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Mother will become famous soon enough
DME Help! Mayday..Mayday

Problem I installed a used DME/alarm/key out of a 1999 996 coupe into my 2000 996 coupe the dealer (porscha) says that they can communicate with the DME but it will not accept the Codes for that 1999 VIN and think it is not the right VIN # for the 1999. I called LA Porche back and they verified that is the right Vin number. Is there something I or they are missing. Any immediate help appreciated since they are awaiting a reply.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:20 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
The 99 C2 was non egas, so I wonder if that is causing a problem with an egas engine? Just guessing.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Porscha says that it can reprogrammed with the new 2000 egas settings and was not a problem but they are not getting that far. Loren said that the car needs to be hooked up to a battery charger with a minimum of 12V so that the data will not be corrupted when reprogramming. The car has been there a couple of weeks so battery maybe low and this is the second set of computers since the boxster DME did not work (my fault). This has me stumped but the lead tech will be calling I hope and I can speak with him. Thanks for qwik reply.

Last edited by Mother; 06-23-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
they can use a radio serial number or the dme serial number and cross reference it to a vin number... there alot of ways to cross reference codes to a vin number

Old 06-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Nice thinking but do not have the radio. Regarding the DME SN# is there a different number for each car? I did not notice one on the DME is it like a sticker?

Old 06-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
you know, if the dme doesnt accept codes, its either the code or the vin that is wrong... how did you get the codes, and vin... by a dealer?
theres no ser# sticker on the dme?

Old 06-23-2007, 01:22 PM
LA Porsche /salvage sent me the VIN for the DME/Alarm/keys and had them double check this morning. I would think that the VIN to the DME I give porscha dealer that the codes would work. I heard that the car needs at least 12V to program.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:37 PM
The dealer should be able to look at the vin, look it up in there database and they should have all the codes for that vin... yes you should have good power to that dme in order to punch the codes in

Old 06-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Yes, something was off I needed to find who's information was correct porscha or LA Dismantlers (Trust but validate theory) Porsche says wrong VIN and LA Dismatlers doubled checked and said it was correct. After finding out that the battery was on a charger during the programming phase I was out of options so I asked to double check the PN#s for my model and they are correct 605-00 and this was used on the 1999 C4 up to 2001 C2. Well I made one more call to LA Dismantlers and spoke with Todd which has been working on them for 20 years and just happened to have the Porscha Tech there and Tod told him how to extract the VIN from the DME from donor DME, he said using PWIIS that before you go into the programming area that he could go into the SYSTEM info and it would read out the DME VIN in the car which it did and YES it was different on what they told me on the phone from LA dismantlers earlier, anyway it is now reprogrammed with 2000 new data but it runs like crap. I am alittle weary of the porsche guys because when I went back in there where the cars are being worked on (my car was not present) the tech told me that the vins where completely different from what I gave him and what he read out via PWIIS. What came to my mind was this 1. Why did he not know how to do this. with 9 years experience And 2. How did he know the VIN"S where different without getting my car back in the shop and hooked up to PWIIS usless he could record past attempts at reprogramming. Not accusing just suggesting here. At present it is misfiring mostly 1, and 3, O2 sensor error on same bank the cams are showing no deviation readings along with the crank position "no readings at all" also fuel pressure was about 3.8 bar but it fluctuated allot. Well I should have taken pictures of the readings to post anyway that was enough frustration for one day. Thanks for everyones feedback.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:34 PM
now, your getting down to the nitty gritty of things... GL, By the way, make sure that you punch in the code for Learning code, Im thinking that this will turn on the adaptation ability for the DME... give it time

Old 06-23-2007, 09:06 PM
They are nice people there and they really are not allowed to do to much regarding tuning, Porscha rules ya know. I think the techs would kill for a dyno there and feel sometimes that they do not know know like me about turning on that "learning mode" I assumed the computer was always learning. As we were running the car he was talking about the removing the distrrbuter manifold and I was thinking what for $$$, I had removed it during SC build cleaned it and reinstalled with new o-rings, but then he mentioned the idle control valve is in there somewhere. These new cars are somewhat baffling to me and comming from old school I look for the obvious first. Would i stand to benifit with my own scanner or is the PWIIS just that much better?